Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watching WCC Network games

5 posters

Go down

Watching WCC Network games Empty Watching WCC Network games

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:12 pm

Does anyone have a simple way to watch games on the WCC “Network” on an actual TV screen? I’m not interested in watching it on my phone. I have a TV with a Roku plugged into it. It is embarrassing for the WCC that that setup apparently does not allow me to watch today’s game vs Pepperdine. The WCC website gives zero guidance. Is the assumption with the highly hyped WCC “Network” that everyone is watching on tiny phones and laptops?

Just about every other conference in the nation, including those ranked way lower than the WCC, have their games on ESPN+ or through other user-friendly streaming apps that can be accessed on Roku, Apple TV and the other mass market streaming platforms. Why does the WCC only show its games on a website that must be watched on a web browser on my phone?

Someone please tell me this rant is off-base and point me in the direction of how to watch today’s game on my actual TV.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Watching WCC Network games Empty Re: Watching WCC Network games

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:29 pm

I am probably the last guy to ably answer technical questions, so I can only tell you how I do it.

1. I run a HDMI cable from my laptop to my smart TV, or
2. I just ask my smart TV, that is Wi-Fi connected to the internet, to go to the WCC Network.

The WCC Network lists all the game being streamed (it is almost always all of them), and I choose the UP game.

Usually the stream can be paused and resumed where I left off...

There have been times when the audio is not that good, but I really don't need audio to watch a game if the video is good.

BTW, I am obviously biased, but UP's streaming of the game is always of high quality, as are the announcers. Couch Potato
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Fox Mulder and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:00 pm

Like DD, I'm not great in this area but I can give my own experience.

I am thankful they use this platform rather than ESPN+ or something like that. I would not be able to watch any games if they used that sort of service. We got a new TV a few months back and it has a web browser installed. I have a two step process to get games on there when I'm able to watch -

1) Go to the men's basketball schedule on the Pilots website - either head to portlandpilots.com and navigate from there, or go directly to the schedule link at https://portlandpilots.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule.

2) Scroll down to today's game, and hit the Watch button. It's set up to take you directly to the link for that game, which makes it much easier.

I don't have any experience with Roku, so I'm not sure if using a web browser is an option for you. I second your opinion on the Stadium-powered WCC portal - fine with a laptop, tough if you're dealing with a finicky TV web browser.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:00 pm

Seems like you can screen mirror your phone display to your Roku device, although I personally do not own one so can't attest to quality and all that.

https://support.roku.com/article/208754928 - Android
https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733 - iOS
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:25 pm

Apple methods.:

With airplay, you can stream to a smarttv with wifi using the same wifi that your phone or iPad is connected to.

With dumb tv’s You can  send your video from an iPhone or IPad with a HDMI cable and a dongle Apple makes .
Alternatively, you can stream to your tv with a Bluetooth device such as MEEAudio connect.devices like this can communicate either way. Normally  I use mine for getting the audio feed to a wireless headphone , but you can also use it to stream the game from your iOS or macOS ( and probably any other Bluetooth enabled device) to the video input of your tv ( mine connects with an optical cable)

None of these devices is particularly expensive. And they will be whatever quality the WCC site provides. ( usually hd)
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down