Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VMI @ Chiles, Friday, 12/3, at 7pm

+6
Jkerr
Dean Murdoch
Geezaldinho
ExpatPilot
DoubleDipper
up7587
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

VMI @ Chiles, Friday, 12/3, at 7pm - Page 2 Empty Re: VMI @ Chiles, Friday, 12/3, at 7pm

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:31 am

Unless I'm mistaken the Pilots set team records for three-pointers made (18) and three-pointers attempted (46) in this game. I guess that's partially a function of falling down behind early, but if you'd told me the Pilots would have those kind of shooting numbers before the game I'd have felt good about the outcome.

I see VMI shot the lights out again in Seattle yesterday and beat the Redhawks by almost the exact same score (89-82). Hats off to them, that's a heck of a road trip.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

DoubleDipper likes this post

Back to top Go down

VMI @ Chiles, Friday, 12/3, at 7pm - Page 2 Empty Re: VMI @ Chiles, Friday, 12/3, at 7pm

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:12 am

Dean Murdoch wrote: I guess that's partially a function of falling down behind early...
That, and because VMI's matchup zone defense totally locked-out the inside game for the Pilots.

VMI outrebounded UP 42-27 and outscored them in paint, 22-10. 

The Keydets team UP faced was a veteran club that communicated and executed...something the Pilots will have to do to make any headway in the WCC.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11252
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Snus Junction likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:20 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:Unless I'm mistaken the Pilots set team records for three-pointers made (18) and three-pointers attempted (46) in this game. I guess that's partially a function of falling down behind early, but if you'd told me the Pilots would have those kind of shooting numbers before the game I'd have felt good about the outcome.

I see VMI shot the lights out again in Seattle yesterday and beat the Redhawks by almost the exact same score (89-82). Hats off to them, that's a heck of a road trip.

I initially thought the Multnomah game a few years back had more, but I guess not.

They (Multnomah) still shot and hit more than VMI (22-50 vs 15-36)
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilot14 Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:51 am

Thought the offensive gameplan was pretty disappointing and uninspired. VMI playing a zone and the Pilots doing a lot of standing around the perimeter, all 5 guys. Really not much effort trying to get the ball inside, no short corner, no hi-lo action, etc. just hoisting a bunch of long range shots - many contested. The team could really use a playmaker who helps create easier shots for their teammates.

Bummer of a loss aside - the second half comeback (got a few of those jumpers to fall in a row) was a lot of fun and the energy in the Chiles Center was awesome. Remain optimistic about the new staff and culture being created around the program.

Pilot14
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2021-05-06

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2