Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2021-2022 Schedule/Season

+9
DoubleDipper
Vegemite
Geezaldinho
up7587
wrv
dholcombe
Adam
bullwinkle
ExpatPilot
13 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

2021-2022 Schedule/Season - Page 6 Empty Re: 2021-2022 Schedule/Season

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:54 pm

A_Fan wrote:I've never understood why, since Jabbar's time, more players, especially taller players have not developed a good hook shot.

This guy had a pretty good hook

Then ther was Magic’s sky hook.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:40 pm

Good examples but Jabbar retired in 1989. 2 good hook shooters in 32 years still puzzles me.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:14 pm

Let's hope whomever contracted Covid, staff or player, that the recovery is swift and uneventful. The postponement of the game with BYU seemed almost inevitable.

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/12/30/womens-basketball-pilots-conference-opener-at-byu-postponed.aspx

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:25 pm

https://wccsports.com/news/2022/1/2/mens-basketball-faraudos-mid-season-awards.aspx

WOMEN’S MID-SEASON ALL-WCC FIRST TEAM:  Haylee Andrews, Portland; Alex Fowler, Portland; Shaylee Gonzales, BYU; Lauren Gustin, BYU; Melody Kempton, Gonzaga.

BEST QUIET START BY A WOMEN’S TEAM: Portland will enter WCC play with a four-game win streak and a 10-2 record — the program’s best through 12 games since starting 27-1 in 1996-97. Coach Michael Meek’s Pilots are second in the conference in both offense (74.8 points) and defense (57.3 points). Their only losses came against a pair of Top-25 teams from the Pac-12: Stanford and Oregon.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Geezaldinho, wrv, DoubleDipper and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:34 am

https://wccsports.com/news/2022/1/6/womens-basketball-faraudo-ice-in-andrews-veins.aspx

Two years ago at the University Credit Union West Coast Conference tournament in Las Vegas, Portland guard Haylee Andrews created a moment she’d never experienced in her basketball career. Then she did it again the next day.

“I was literally speechless,” Andrews said, recalling the shot she made with 3 seconds left to beat 12th-ranked and top-seeded Gonzaga 70-69 in the tournament semifinals. “I’d never done that, hit a game winner.”

Twenty-four hours later, she not only made a game-tying shot to force overtime against San Diego in the championship game, she then delivered the go-ahead basket in the final minute as the Pilots captured their first WCC tournament title since 1994 with a 64-63 triumph.

“Two days in a row was definitely overwhelming,” Andrews said. “I was so happy for my teammates, my coaches, everyone in the UP community.”

But the unlikely saga of a team that was picked to finish last in the conference did not come with a storybook ending. Virtually the day after the WCC tournament ended, the COVID-19 pandemic took hold, shutting down everything, including the NCAA tournament to which Portland had qualified for the first time in 23 years.

Which brings us to this season and a mission that continues to drive the Pilots. Portland never found a rhythm last season amid the pandemic and its complications but this year’s Pilots are 10-2, with losses only to Stanford and Oregon — both Top-25 teams at the time. Andrews suggested her team has unfinished business.

“Getting to the NCAA tournament is obviously every college player’s dream,” she said. “Thinking about those emotions we went through, it would be really nice to experience that environment.”

It won’t be easy. The Pilots were picked fifth in the WCC preseason coaches poll, and first up on their conference schedule — after two postponements a week ago — is Gonzaga. Who else?

BYU, 10-1 and ranked 18th in the AP Top-25, has so far lived up to the coaches’ projection as the WCC favorite. But the perennially powerful Zags remain formidable, especially on defense, and bring a 9-3 record to Portland on Thursday night.

“Gonzaga has as much talent as anybody,” third-year Portland coach Michael Meek said. “They played a lot without their key seniors in last year’s league tournament and were still able to win. They’re really good.”

“Obviously, we’re all really exited to play a game,” said Andrews, the returning All-WCC standout from Townsville, Australia. “Gonzaga has always been a great program to play against. It will be a really good test to see where we are.”

Portland lost by an average of 25 points in two matchups last season against the Zags, who went on to claim their 12th NCAA tournament bid. Gonzaga has won 41 of the past 43 meetings with its Northwest neighbor, and the Pilots haven’t beaten the Zags at home since the 2000-01 season.

“Oh wow, that is a long time,” said Andrews, who had not yet celebrated her first birthday at that point.

A generation later, the Pilots are better prepared to take on the league’s elite.

“I don’t think there’s any question in the three years that our staff has been here, this is the most talent we’ve had,” said Meek, noting that the Plots are older, deeper and bigger. “We still have a ways to go. We haven’t arrived as a program, but we’re getting closer.

“Gonzaga probably looks at us different than maybe even a couple years ago.”

Along with two-time All-WCC forward Alex Fowler (16.7 points, 8.0 rebounds), and a mix of youth and experience in the backcourt, the Pilots also have Lucy Cochrane, a 6-foot-6 sophomore, who provides more than her nightly average of 8.4 points and 7.0 rebounds.

Cochrane opted to remain at home in Sydney, Australia a year ago during the first peak of the pandemic, and her presence this season is telling. “The effect Lucy has in the paint has really changed the way we play defensively,” said Andrews, referring to Cochrane’s NCAA-leading 4.0 blocked shots per game. “I don’t feel as guilty now when I get beat.”

In her fourth season, Andrews remains the Pilots’ leader on the floor, organizing them and doing a little bit of everything. She is second on the team at 12.2 points per game, averages 4.8 rebounds and leads the WCC in assists at 6.0 per outing.

In the team’s two most recent games, wins over Stephen F. Austin and Fresno State, Andrews twice flirted with triple-doubles, averaging 15.5 points, 10.0 rebounds and 7.5 assists.

“There’s so many good things about Haylee,” Meek said. “She’s definitely a kid that thrives in the moment. She’s really tough and really wants to win, and she does it in such a good teammate-type way.”
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

wrv likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:11 pm

We have come to a point when thoughts of next year's team are inevitable. On the men's board there exists a running narrative that Legans literally asked the players whether he needed to recruit their replacements or they were returning. The men's players intend to return, apparently without exception, at least as of now.

It is early yet but do we know whether any of the women will enter the transfer portal? We need help arguably at the point--finding someone who could ably back Haylee with productive minutes would be nice--JC or transfer? How about a shooter who can consistently hit the three?

Perhaps next year's recruits and this year's redshirts can fill the role of shooter and ballhandler?

Is the current roster sufficient? This year's squad has the players to step up next year?

I  am not naming players but there may be some who want more predictable playing time, perhaps a bigger role.

On a related topic, Maisee Burnham came on strong at the end--probably deserves to start.

Interested in thoughts on whether Pilots are done (they may be given scholarships and considering returning players) or may again venture into recruiting available players? Or whether they are set and should stand pat with their roster?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:34 pm

wrv wrote:Interested in thoughts on whether Pilots are done (they may be given scholarships and considering returning players) or may again venture into recruiting available players? Or whether they are set and should stand pat with their roster?
Dean Murdoch wrote:I’m here for the baseless speculation, memes, and low-grade analysis!
No idea what Coach Meek is thinking, but I would be looking to the portal for an experienced point guard.

It is difficult to say when Haylee will return, and when she does return how effective she will be.  Rose has another year of eligibility but plans to get on with her life, and apparently the straight-A student has an accounting job waiting for her.  Kelsey is a very good shooter, but there is no predicting how well she will recover from her injury and she is really more of a backup than a starter at the point (but is definitely the best singer on team).   One inbound freshman, Florence Dallow, is a wing, and the other, Melika Samia, can probably play 1-4, and could turn into a very good 1, but I doubt that is why she was recruited.

Similar to the men's team, the women really like each other and enjoy playing together, but yes, I think one of the players may transfer to get playing time elsewhere.

If my math is correct, and with no one transferring, the Pilots have one open scholarship to entice an experienced point guard to join the team for 2022-23.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11267
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:10 pm

wrv wrote:It is early yet but do we know whether any of the women will enter the transfer portal? We need help arguably at the point--finding someone who could ably back Haylee with productive minutes would be nice--JC or transfer? How about a shooter who can consistently hit the three?

[quote="DoubleDipper"]
wrv wrote:Interested in thoughts on whether Pilots are done (they may be given scholarships and considering returning players) or may again venture into recruiting available players? Or whether they are set and should stand pat with their roster?
Dean Murdoch wrote:I’m here for the baseless speculation, memes, and low-grade analysis!

If one point guard is leaving, voluntarily, Rose, and the other, Haylee, is returning from injury and the remaining points are falling short offensively, and finally if there is yet a scholarship available, it rises above "baseless speculation" to suggest that the coach may seek additional help at the position.

You'll need to do better if you want to match the standard.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Geezaldinho and DoubleDipper like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:42 am

A great showing this season by the girls given the injury impacts. Credit to the system, culture and depth that they withstood losing Haylee and others to injury.

As to the guards discussion above, yes some PG insurance might be a priority. But as a biased dad, I'll of course be hoping Emma can impact next year after redshirting following her ACLR before starting College.

As hopefully a good opportunity to get the knee recovery tested in games (which is so hard with the College system and rules against playing any other competitions ... in Australia for example injury return opportunities easy via reserve leagues etc), UP has thankfully managed to get an NCAA waiver to allow her to compete at the u20 Australian National Championships in late April. So fingers crossed that helps get her ready and raring for next season Smile

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2021-03-12

wrv, DoubleDipper, Fox Mulder and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6