Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PSU @ Pilots, 12/5 (7:00 PM)

5 posters

Go down

PSU @ Pilots, 12/5 (7:00 PM) Empty PSU @ Pilots, 12/5 (7:00 PM)

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:47 am

Live stuff here - https://portlandpilots.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Projections
Kenpom - Portland #296, Portland State #300 (Portland 77-75)
Barttorvik - Portland #278, Portland State #325 (Portland 78-72)

As much turnover as the Pilots have had, PSU has somehow had even more. No clue what they'll look like but I would bet the farm they'll end up with more offensive rebounds than the Pilots.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

PSU @ Pilots, 12/5 (7:00 PM) Empty Re: PSU @ Pilots, 12/5 (7:00 PM)

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:38 pm

Interesting that Seymour is now the first off the bench for Henn instead of Curtiss.

No sign of Taki and I think I saw him in street clothes on the bench.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:04 pm

Let’s hope the pilots didn’t have heir usual warm milk and Valium at halftime.

Not sure they can weather a big run.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by GoPilots19 Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:54 pm

Ahmed Ali is doing everything he possibly can right now to win, commendable

GoPilots19
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2020-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:37 pm

The Pilots got more comfortable with the press as the second half wore on and were even able to make PSU pay a couple of times with a couple easy buckets off the break. Probably should have had even more were it not for a few, uhh, finishing issues at the rim!

As stated above, Ali was fun to watch all game but especially in the second half. 13-14 on free throws after halftime alone to help the Pilots pull away. PSU is a nice team to play early in the year because they really throw the kitchen sink at you out there.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:40 am

It seemed almost a relief to the players, coaches, and I can only assume the Pilots fans, that the team finally closed-out at game instead of either losing or just hanging on.  The guys played with a lot more energy than we've seen for awhile, and after winning the player's reactions continued to be energized.  Nice to see!

I believe it was a 17-5 run by UP at the end, and considering their lack of size, they did what they are going to have to do to win...sink free throws.

Taki and Quincy were not dressed to play, so the only available scholarship player to not get any minutes was Zac.

I don't recall Hunter Seymour scoring, but I like his unselfish play and ability to get in position to rebound and pass when he's in the game.  His pass to Chase down the middle to score was a thing of beauty!

How about those long arms of Latrell Jones, and his ability to get up for 10 rebounds and score 15 points!  Loved his relaxed post-game interview..."coaches being on our butts about coming out hard everyday at practice..."

PSU's pressure defense was a good test for the Pilots, a test they were better able to win when Chase was in the game, but face it, Ahmed Ali is the real deal, and UP's fortunes will likely rest on his shoulders going forward even if it means other teams double-teaming him to get another player open.  Barring his turning pro somewhere, UP will have Ali this season and next due to the "free year" exemption.  Glad both his waivers were approved. pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:12 pm

PSU and UP currently have an open weekend from Big Sky and WCC play due to COVID, why don't they have a rematch in the Viking Pavilion?

Both teams are struggling, wouldn't it be a great opportunity to get some work and have some fun!!
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down