Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas

+13
lomiton
wrv
JimmAlacki
Sound Voltex
Stonehouse
PilotNut
Woodless 2.0
DoubleDipper
NoPoNeighbor
StudentPilot
blacksheep
bobtcat2
Dean Murdoch
17 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas - Page 4 Empty Re: Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:30 am

Go Gaels!

(Logo looks like a Miami Beach hardware store... I miss the Pacific coastline on the left side of the W)

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas - Page 4 Empty Re: Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas

Post by ExpatPilot Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:18 am

I too agree that this Coastline is the best WCC logo. But, I do have a soft spot for this old one too: Old School WCC Logo (Maybe WCAC?)

Also, holy cow both men's and women's finals! It continues NoPo's poetic justice.

I did see the conference signed an extension to continue the tournament in the Orleans through 2022. Hopefully, one of these days, I will make it to the tournament.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:44 am

The Orleans arena seats 9500.  There were probably 9000 fans there last night.  When the game ended, the team stormed the floor to hug Jordan Ford and Jordan Hunter.  They ended up on the floor with everybody piling on.  In the five minutes it took to set up the stage, the arena emptied to about 200 to 300 fans, players, coaches, and staff on the court and less than 50 people in the stands.  For those who stayed, it was pure joy.  Looked like Jordan Ford was in tears, everybody was hugging, there was a continual stream of red, white, and blue confetti coming from above, while they played "We Are The Champions" (God, I hate they song!).   They announced a limited number of SMC Championship T-shirts were available (wonder what happens to the thousands of Gonzaga championship shirts sitting in boxes), but they'd be ordering more.  I'm sure the Zag fans and team would have been happy to win, but SMC was euphoric - it was delightful to watch.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:55 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Yeah, maybe not #1 overall using the NET that was released a few minutes ago, but with a number of conference tournament finals yet to be played, including the ACC with #1 Virginia, #3 Duke, and #7 UNC, the now #2 Bulldogs should still be a #1 seed if the seeding is to be based purely on the NCAA's NET.

The NET isn't the be-all and end-all of seeding, just like RPI wasn't. Metrics are certainly a big part of it (these will favour Gonzaga) but who you've beaten is just as important or importanter (this is where Duke, Kentucky, Tennessee, UNC, Michigan St will all look better than Gonzaga). I think they'll come in as a solid 2 seed, and that's fair.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:Metrics are certainly a big part of it (these will favour Gonzaga) but who you've beaten is just as important or importanter (this is where Duke, Kentucky, Tennessee, UNC, Michigan St will all look better than Gonzaga). I think they'll come in as a solid 2 seed, and that's fair.

I'm not so sure. Gonzaga is the only team that beat full-strength Duke (they didn't have Reddish for Syracuse and haven't had Zion the past few weeks), and I think that could carry a lot of weight in the minds of the selection committee.

Of course, I'd love nothing more than for them to not get a #1 seed just because, but I think they have a puncher's chance still because of that Duke win.

Last edited by Stonehouse on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:03 pm

CBS and ESPN are still calling GU a #1 seed, but this very interesting site, https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tournament/bracketology/ has GU as a #2 and SMC as #12 seed.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:36 pm

StudentPilot wrote:CBS and ESPN are still calling GU a #1 seed, but this very interesting site, https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tournament/bracketology/ has GU as a #2 and SMC as #12 seed.

At least Two of those three ACC teams that site ranks above the Zags will suffer another loss.

No way one doesn’t drop below our friends from Spokane.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:59 pm

That site also gives UNC Greensboro a 98% chance of an at-large bid, so take whatever it says with a grain of salt.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:44 pm

bullwinkle wrote:(wonder what happens to the thousands of Gonzaga championship shirts sitting in boxes)

Someone is taking a huge hit on their speculative inventory. I think stuff like that probably gets shipped overseas, to China to make rags or to Africa.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:41 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
But I guess if it works for Sound Voltex….
Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas - Page 4 841-4810

My username and avatar is based off a popular arcade game in Japan which changes theme (and color/logo) every few years or so. They actually just officially changed it a few weeks ago, which reminded me to update it appropriately Wink rip blue avatar.

Back on topic-ish. A funny related meme gif posted by a Saint Mary's fan on the reddits that I wish I could embed here but our forum is too old-fartsy.

https://i.imgur.com/lVUeCB0.gifv
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:27 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
Sound Voltex wrote:While skimming through tweets, I believe I read that on top of that, their head coach had to leave during the fourth period due to a family emergency.
Ah, that's why her husband, assistant coach Craig Fortier, was running the show at the end of the game...had to be doubly tough for him.

EDIT: After watching tape of the game, it appeared both Lisa and a Craig Fortier departed the court together for a family emergency.....sometimes we need to step back and remember basketball is just a game.
EDIT 2:  Craig Fortier did return to the bench, but Lisa had a car waiting to take her to a local Las Vegas hospital where her brother was/is under treatment.
Sad to report that Lisa's brother, Hayden, died in a Las Vegas hospital yesterday morning from complications from muscular dystrophy.  Lisa and their parents had been at Hayden's side since late in the title game on Tuesday.

Makes sports seem insignificant....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:36 am

up7587 wrote:
bullwinkle wrote:(wonder what happens to the thousands of Gonzaga championship shirts sitting in boxes)
Someone is taking a huge hit on their speculative inventory.  I think stuff like that probably gets shipped overseas, to China to make rags or to Africa.
Or maybe they'll be collectibles one day....

Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas - Page 4 Stamp10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:53 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
Or maybe they'll be collectibles one day....

Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas - Page 4 Stamp10

I’d buy one.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:36 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:That knocks Gonzaga out of any discussion for the #1 overall seed and quite possibly drops them to a #2 seed. That loss killed them...a 5-2 Q1 record obviously would have looked a hell of a lot better than the 4-3 they'll go into Selection Sunday with.
Another 1 bites the dust! Florida St 69 - Virginia 59
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:53 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:That site also gives UNC Greensboro a 98% chance of an at-large bid, so take whatever it says with a grain of salt.
Turns out the UNC Greensboro Spartans will stay home to play the Fighting Camels from Campbell in the first round of the NIT on Tuesday. Embarassed
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4