Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NoPo Bar Thread

+8
Dean Murdoch
Stonehouse
ExpatPilot
DoubleDipper
Rochin54
PilotNut
StudentPilot
dholcombe
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

NoPo Bar Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: NoPo Bar Thread

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:54 am

Woodless 2.0 wrote:Next time the recruiting thread turns into a thread on dive bars in NoPo I'd like a heads up...a text or DM or something. Sheesh.
Ironically, it was our underage friend, StudentPilot, who started it....and we haven't heard back if he/she followed through on being in a "less safe place" by walking to the T-Room.  Wink  
Woodless 2.0 wrote:Don't forget about the Nighthawk.
Back in the day, the Nighthawk was the "more comfortable" place to go for black students. Don't know it that's still true today, but I would often be in the company of black MBB players who were very tall and a bit older than your average undergrad because of military service or other gaps in their schooling....the most well known was Cincy Powell.

We would never see a black person or other minority in the T-Room or other local taverns, I hope the drinking scene in Portland is more inclusive 50 years later.......
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:59 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Ironically, it was our underage friend, StudentPilot, who started it....and we haven't heard back if he/she followed through on being in a "less safe place" by walking to the T-Room.  Wink
Yes, I have been to the T-Room, just this afternoon....no, I didn't walk, it was pouring!  

I didn't go alone, and didn't drink....the others could, but it was the first pub I've been in, ever!

I'm guessing you have to have a bit of a "buzz" on to really enjoy yourself, and you should probably go after dark, but I did enjoy reading some of the things UP students have written in various places throughout the place.  The burger I had was okay, but I asked for rare and it was way over-cooked.

Believe me I don't mean to be knocking your favorite pub, but the hype seemed to be more than the experience.  I think my first legal drink will be at the Pilot House because I know many alums contributed the money to make it an on-campus pub and it appears to have a good rotating selection of beers.  But I will definitely try the T-Room again, and other pubs mentioned here too, but it won't be until I can drink beer....legally! Twisted Evil
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:23 pm

blacksheep wrote:Maybe after a Pilot Nation pub crawl to make sure we've all been to each and every N. Portland bar!

In!

Yorgo's looks like it's been spruced up, but I remember when I was a student, they had $1 pints (all domestics and Koakanee) on Thursdays. Amazing what kind of damage you could do with $10.

Tom's Pizza was and is the best, but I do like the new Chill 'n Fill on Lombard.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:49 am

Should I strip out all these NoPo bar posts into a new thread? I kind of feel like it may be worthy of its own discussion.

How could I forget Tom's? Great pizza, Kokanee, and large TVs aplenty...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

NoPo Bar Thread - Page 2 Empty NoPo Bar Thread

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:12 am

PilotNut wrote:Should I strip out all these NoPo bar posts into a new thread?  I kind of feel like it may be worthy of its own discussion.

How could I forget Tom's?  Great pizza, Kokanee, and large TVs aplenty...  
Yes!!!

We won't be looking at the 2017 Recruiting thread forever, but the same cannot be said about a beer/pub/bar/eatery thread... Twisted Evil
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:35 am

Okay, here it is... heck, maybe we should have a whole forum related to beer! I left a few of the posts that discussed both topics in the old thread.

Not mentioned yet, but potentially also worthy of it's own thread: Occidental Brewing.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:23 pm

Wait a minute. If you have a dedicated beer forum, there are some posters that won't read or post on any other forums. Mad

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2