Sad News from Brian Doyle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sad News from Brian Doyle

Post by DoubleDipper on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:09 pm

Our beloved Brian is dying of incurable brain cancer...he's known about it now for less than a week, but just went public with it last evening.  His surgery is on Wednesday.

Prayers please for Brian and his wife and children.
Beacon wrote:  “This is really bad so the surgery is to try to reduce it,” Doyle told The Beacon Sunday night. “And then probably chemo, but there is no healing. But if all goes well, I could get a year or maybe even two. They can’t delete it or fix it or cure it. The doctor thinks that if he can reduce it and shoot chemo at it, then it may be suppressed for long enough for a few more years of reading and writing and being with my wife and kids.”
http://www.upbeacon.com/article/2016/11/brian-doyle-brain-cancer

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6259
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sad News from Brian Doyle

Post by up7587 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:25 pm

Terrible news. I've never met Brian, but I have received amazing letters from him, profusely thanking me for modest contributions for the magazine.

up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3518
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:41 pm

I could go on and on about the profound and positive affect Brian has had on me during my short time on the Bluff.  

So smart and so skilled and so able to communicate with any age group regardless of their level of intellect.  

He'd be so proud I wrote all this without the punctuation of a comma but would still insist I should have done so without the use of a period too.  Razz

StudentPilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2016-10-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:08 am

StudentPilot wrote:I could go on and on about the profound and positive affect Brian has had on me during my short time on the Bluff.  

So smart and so skilled and so able to communicate with any age group regardless of their level of intellect.  

He'd be so proud I wrote all this without the punctuation of a comma but would still insist I should have done so without the use of a period too.  Razz
Haha, you are so right, StudentPilot, well learned, Grasshopper!

Almost eight years ago Brian forwarded to me his opinion piece in the Oregonian titled, “On not ‘beating’ cancer”.
In it he wrote: “Finally, this morning, enough -- I read one too many journalistic references to someone's "beating" cancer, as if cancer was an opponent to be defeated, an enemy to be conquered, a battle in which courage often wins the day.”

“It is a lie. Cancer is to be endured, that's all.”

Just a few weeks ago when my dance partner returned from the “darkness at the other end of the ballroom,” I was once again reminded of his poignant words.

But now Brian faces the inevitable endurance test with “the love and affection and laughter and holy hands of family and friends….”

We can see from his writing how we must “celebrate grace under duress rather than the illusion of total victory…..and maybe we will be a braver and better people if we know we cannot obliterate such things, but only wield oceans of humor and patience and creativity against them.”

Brian has inspired many through his writings while at UP, I’m confident he will continue to inspire us in his days ahead…..

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2009/01/on_not_beating_cancer.html

EDIT: The above link has been live for almost 8 years, but now it is all of a sudden dead or "not found."  Here is another link to Brian's wonderful article "On not beating cancer"

http://www.eurekastreet.com.au/article.aspx?aeid=11029#.WDack4WcHIU

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : New Link to)

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot on Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:10 pm

Thanks for sharing, DD.  Brian's words are wonderfully powerful and deeply felt.
Portland Tribune wrote:   On Tuesday, a GoFundMe account was opened online to help the Doyle family. Doyle, who turned 60 this month, and his wife, Mary, have three children in their 20s and live in Lake Oswego.

“The type of brain tumor Brian has will require an incredible amount of care, a ton of patience and a lot of money,” wrote Katherine Green of New Orleans, La., who began the GoFundMe campaign. “If we as a community of friends and family can relieve Mary and Brian and family of the burden of the financial stress associated with ongoing therapy, cancer treatments, rehabilitation and transportation costs, it would be incredibly helpful.

“Any donation small or large will be appreciated," Green wrote. "Mary may not be able to work, as she will be busy and exhausted, and to know we can help will be such a blessing.”  
To contribute to the account, go to www.gofundme.com/betenderandlaugh.

StudentPilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2016-10-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla on Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:01 pm

StudentPilot wrote:He'd be so proud I wrote all this without the punctuation of a comma but would still insist I should have done so without the use of a period too.  Razz

Now that brought a smile to my face.  A worthy tribute, SP.

Brian has contributed so much to the University over the years.  His writing and guidance over the Portland magazine has helped countless alumni and friends, near and far, maintain a connection to the Bluff.

VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2007-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:13 pm

Subject: On behalf of Brian Doyle and his family...

Dear friends,

Brian is glad to be home and sleeping in his own bed.  Lots of rest and quiet is still the order of each day.

The surgeon confirmed that he was able to get almost all (90%) of the tumor.  They won't have biopsy results until this Friday.  It could be either a Glioblastoma or an Ependymoma. Brian also has Homonymous Hemianopsia, a side effect of the surgery.  It would be best to google all, to get a better understanding of these medical terms.

Family friends of the Doyle’s will be setting up a caringbridge.org personal website in the next week or so to communicate in a private forum.  Here they can share news, updates, and also coordinate help.  I will post the link when it's ready.  Please keep in mind that due to incredibly busy days dealing with the recovery and then rehabilitation it may be weeks before the family has the time to contribute.

Please consider sending another card to Brian.  Mary said he is enjoying short notes and humorous cards from friends.

Brian Doyle
c/o Office of the President
University of Portland
‪5000 N. Willamette Blvd.
Portland, OR 97203

The Doyle family thanks everyone for their prayers, and for continuing to respect their privacy at this time.

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum