Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's Official: Terry Porter is New UP Coach!

+17
PilotFan66
mikemac65
DTLegend
A_Fan
blacksheep
dholcombe
ExpatPilot
pilotram
piloted
DoubleDipper
Geezaldinho
Rochin54
NoPoNeighbor
Dean Murdoch
wrv
PilotNut
Stonehouse
21 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

It's Official: Terry Porter is New UP Coach! Empty It's Official: Terry Porter is New UP Coach!

Post by Stonehouse Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:04 pm

Figured I'd start a new thread. Here's Dwight's report: http://www.csnnw.com/ncaa/pilots-name-terry-porter-head-mens-basketball-coach

If true... WELCOME TERRY PORTER!!!

Edited to add: It's now official on the UP website: http://portlandpilots.com/news/2016/4/1/terry-porter-named-new-portland-mens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

Last edited by Stonehouse on Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

It's Official: Terry Porter is New UP Coach! Empty Re: It's Official: Terry Porter is New UP Coach!

Post by PilotNut Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:28 pm

From Stonehouse's link:
It is believed he [Porter] already has most of his coaching staff together and one person close to the program said, "They have never had a group of assistants of this caliber at Portland."

WELCOME COACH PORTER! (If true!!)

Now the announcement of the Assistants has me curious...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

It's Official: Terry Porter is New UP Coach! Empty Re: It's Official: Terry Porter is New UP Coach!

Post by wrv Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:38 pm

Great news.

Double the welcome.

Ah, make that triple.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:45 pm

Deaner is happy to return and give a big welcome to Coach Porter! Exciting hire for the Pilots and possibly more good news to follow with a big-name assistant coming aboard.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:53 pm

This is a great day for the Pilots! I'm excited/anxious to see what happens with the assistants, the current players, and the recruits. I would think this is an exciting hire for the guys on the roster. Especially the point guards, Wintering and Johnson.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:57 pm

It is believed he already has most of his coaching staff together and one person close to the program said, "They have never had a group of assistants of this caliber at Portland."

Shocked Cool
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:09 pm

Thought it might be worth taking a look at Porter's NBA coaching career.

2002-03: Assistant at Sacramento under Rick Adelman

2003-05: Head coach of Milwaukee for two seasons (41-41; 30-52)

2007-08: Assistant under Flip Saunders at Detroit

2008-09: Head coach of Phoenix (replacing Mike D'Antoni) but lasted only 51 games (28-23)

2011-14: Assistant for three years at Minnesota under Rick Adelman.

Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:44 pm

Yeeeeeaaaa Buddy!!!! Cheers! Yahoo!
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:12 pm

It's now official. Here's the release on the Portland Pilots website: http://portlandpilots.com/news/2016/4/1/terry-porter-named-new-portland-mens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

Press conference to welcome him is noon on Tuesday at the Chiles Center. All are welcome.

"I am honored that Scott Leykam and University President Fr. Mark Poorman have given me this great opportunity," Porter said. "I'm excited about working tirelessly to continue to build this program up and establish a great tradition of Portland Basketball. I have been blessed to coach at the highest level in the NBA, but college has always intrigued me because of the impact that my college coach, Dick Bennett, has had on my life. To now have the opportunity, in my hometown of Portland, to impact other young men's lives is phenomenal and to be able to do so at a prestigious academic institution means a lot."
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:26 pm

Best news on April 1 since Marta committed.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:04 am

One report I saw said that TP's son, Franklin, a 6-4 freshman guard at SMC, will transfer to UP.

I think that is a possibility if UP can get a waiver to the "Rob Jones rule" that Geezer is so familiar with....

If he can get the waiver then he'd just have to sit a year and have three year's eligibility remaining, but if he can't he'll have to sit a year and have only two years remaining per WCC rules restricting player moves within the conference.

If you were to look at Franklin's stats at SMC you would not be impressed, but he's a player!  He played for a short time at Jesuit, but then went to Tilton School in New Hampshire where he was the team captain and scored almost 1,000 points in two years.

There is of course also the chance Franklin's younger brother, Malcolm, could end up at UP as part of the 2017 recruiting class.  Malcom is a 6-3 All-State guard at Jesuit and was the Metro League Co-Player of the Year.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11264
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:16 am

This headline from KPTV-Fox 12 in Portland caught my attention last evening:

“This is a very exciting day for the University of Portland and Pilot Basketball,” PSU Athletic Director Scott Leykam said. 
I checked, and yes, Scott is still the UP AD, and yes, the mistake was pointed out and fixed about an hour later, but still!

Maybe TP's hiring will bring a bit more attention to the Bluff and a lot less confusion with the downtown Vikings. Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by piloted Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:14 pm

Looks like Malcolm is class of 2016. Earlier article had other WCC schools interested in him..

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/286935-163222-jesuit-guard-late-bloomer-like-his-dad

piloted
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:50 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:One report I saw said that TP's son, Franklin, a 6-4 freshman guard at SMC, will transfer to UP.

I think that is a possibility if UP can get a waiver to the "Rob Jones rule" that Geezer is so familiar with....

My memory may be way off here, but I *think* Rob Jones actually enrolled at a community college for a semester before enrolling at SMC. That made his transfer technically not directly from USD to SMC, allowing him to miss only one year instead of the WCC-mandated two for intra-conference transfers.

However, after that happened, my understanding was that the WCC then implemented a new rule to close that loophole.

I'm sure there would be a way around that if Randy Bennett gave Franklin a release, but I'm not really sure why SMC would do that.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:26 pm

Stonehouse wrote:I'm sure there would be a way around that if Randy Bennett gave Franklin a release, but I'm not really sure why SMC would do that.
Good will? Does Bennett truly like Franklin as a person or simply as another player?  I honestly think Bennett would allow a kid to play for his father if he's given the chance.

Precedent? He did release Cullen Neal from his LOI to play for his dad at New Mexico (admittedly, not in the WCC)....although I guess that didn't work out so well as Neal is transferring with two years of eligibility and can play immediately at his next D1 school, possibly Ohio St., according to the transfer list.

Even without a release by Bennett, I believe UP could apply for a waiver....based on family, maybe?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:31 pm

piloted wrote:Looks like Malcolm is class of 2016. Earlier article had other WCC schools interested in him..

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/286935-163222-jesuit-guard-late-bloomer-like-his-dad
Good catch, piloted, and good article in the Tribune.

I don't think it would hurt the Pilots at all to have two redshirt Porters on the team next season.  I'm guessing their parents could probably even afford for them to walk-on if scholarships are scarce. Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:41 pm

I'm guessing their parents could probably even afford for them to walk-on if scholarships are scarce.

I'm guessing Porter's contract has free tuition for his kids, like most other university employees.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:51 pm

Alright, TP will be posting on Pilot Nation......he's quoted in the Portland Tribune as saying:
I’m excited about being part of the Pilot Nation.   
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:57 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I'm guessing Porter's contract has free tuition for his kids, like most other university employees.
That benefit is generally only available to employees who have worked full-time for UP for two years.....but I'm sure anything is possible if one negotiates a favorable contract. tongue

http://www.up.edu/hr/default.aspx?cid=12556&pid=6980
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:02 pm

From '85 to '02, Coach Porter made about $84M in NBA salary. Plus a few more M's in his head coaching stints. If he invested wisely and the dot com bust didn't wipe him out, he should be able to cover UP's tuition.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:09 pm

Here's a link to the article in the Trib from Kerry Eggers about the hire.  porter-portland-perfect-match

I found this especially interesting:
UP powers-that-be were initially concerned about Porter’s lack of experience coaching at the college level — the administrative part, recruiting, etc. Poppycock. He’ll have aides to help with administrative duties. Recruiting?

“You’re telling me Terry Porter visiting with a kid and his parents in their living room wouldn’t be effective?” asked Erik Spoelstra, the UP grad who serves as head coach of the Miami Heat.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:46 am

Reminder: UP is holding a press conference at Chiles Center tomorrow, Tuesday 4/5/16, at noon (doors at 11am) to introduce Coach Terry Porter.   Hopefully a few PN folks can attend and let us know how it goes!

Portland Pilots Athletic Department Link

Portland to Officially Introduce Terry Porter at Tuesday Press Conference

PORTLAND, Ore. --- The University of Portland will officially introduce new head men's basketball coach Terry Porter with a press conference at noon on Tuesday at the Chiles Center. The event is open to the public, and the first 500 fans will receive a free t-shirt.

Porter, a 17-year NBA veteran player and former NBA head coach, was announced last week as the 21st basketball head coach in Pilot history. Porter brings a wealth of basketball experience to the UP campus, having been a head coach and assistant in the NBA. He has been a committed member of the community and dedicated his post-playing career to many service projects, including creating the Milwaukee Scholars Fund, which provides college scholarships to minority students in his native hometown. He is also a Boys and Girls Club Hall of Fame member.

A standout for the Portland Trail Blazers, Porter had his jersey retired by the franchise in 2009. During his 17-year NBA career, Porter averaged 12.2 points, 5.6 assists, 1.2 steals, made two All-Star appearances (1991, 1993), two trips to the NBA Finals (1990, 1992) and scored 15,586 career points. He currently ranks 14th on the NBA's all-time assist leaderboard (7,160).

A Milwaukee, Wisc. native, Porter brings extensive NBA coaching experience to the Pilots. He was the head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks for two seasons (2003-05), including leading the team to the 2004 NBA Playoffs. He served one season as head coach of the Phoenix Suns (2008-09) and was also an assistant coach at Minnesota, Sacramento and Detroit.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:57 am

A few tidbits that I don't think have been reported here yet...

In a Beacon article, Alec Wintering expressed support for the new coach: “(I’m) really excited for what coach Porter is going to bring,” Wintering said. “It’s a great hire for this program and this University.”

Nick Krupke from Fox 12 sports talked with Malcolm Porter (Jesuit HS Class of 2016), who sounds like he is coming to UP: "I want to stay home & play for my dad."

Krupke also noted that Malcolm's brother, Franklin, goes to school at Saint Mary's, but no mention of a potential transfer.

In a series of tweets, Krupke said that Porter met with Spoelstra prior to Miami's game against the Blazers on Saturday, and that Spoelstra is enthusiastic about the hire.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:38 pm

Good to hear Alec's positive response. Hopefully his leadership will hold the players together during the transition.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:41 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Nick Krupke from Fox 12 sports talked with Malcolm Porter (Jesuit HS Class of 2016), who sounds like he is coming to UP: "I want to stay home & play for my dad."
Malcolm (#48):
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next