2016 catcher inked.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2016 catcher inked.

Post by Geezaldinho on Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:26 am

Former Edmonds-Woodway High School baseball standout Tate Budnick has signed his letter of intent to play baseball at the University of Portland next year.

Budnick will enter the University of Portland program as a junior after spending two years at Everett Community College. A right-handed pitcher and catcher, Budnick was selected to play in the 2015-16 NWACC Sophomore Showcase, and he nabbed a Gold Glove as a freshman in 2015 for his work behind the plate. He helped the Trojans win the NWACC North Tournament Championship and advance to the conference championship tournament.

At Edmonds-Woodway, Budnick was a four-year letterwinner who in 2014 earned first-team all-state accolades as both a pitcher and a catcher during this senior year. He was also named to the Everett Herald All-Area First and Second Teams and he was selected to the Seattle Times Star Times All-Area Team. Additionally, Budnick was voted to the 2014 All-Wesco First Team as both a pitcher and a catcher after previously earning second-team selection in 2011, 2012 and 2013. He helped the Warriors claim three league titles and advance to state three times, finishing as high as fifth in the state of Washington.

FullSizeRender-4Budnick was selected as a Pre-Season Under Armour All-American in 2013 and 2014 and he played for the Seattle Mariners Cup Team and the Seattle Mariners Scout Team in 2013.

“Tate Budnick is an established and successful catcher from the junior college ranks,” said Pilots head coach Geoff Loomis. “Tate has a strong arm, is a proficient receiver, and has the ability to manage the game. A great leader, Tate has the potential to help us on the mound as well.”

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 catcher inked.

Post by DoubleDipper on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:38 am

Actually, Budnick is one of 10 players to sign for next fall:

Chris Arpan (OF, Portland, Ore./Jesuit HS)
Tate Budnick (C/RHP, Edmonds, Wash./Edmonds-Woodway HS/Everett CC)
Matt Carrigg (INF/RHP, Turlock, Calif./Pitman HS)
Henry Cheney (OF, Gig Harbor, Wash./Charles Wright Academy)
Ryan Kim (OF, Boise, Idaho/Timberline HS)
Grady Miller (LHP, Wenatchee, Wash./Wenatchee HS)
Josef Morris (RHP/OF, Vacaville, Calif./Vacaville HS)
Christian Peters (RHP/INF, Centralia, Wash./Centralia HS)
Mitchell Robinson (INF/OF, Surrey B.C./Clayton Heights Secondary/FIU/Central Arizona College)
Cal Webb (INF, Spokane, Wash./Lewis and Clark HS)

Arpan, Carrigg, Cheney, Kim, Miller, Morris, Peters and Webb will come to the program as freshmen, while Budnick and Robinson both come to UP with two years of eligibility remaining.

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6259
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:31 pm

Haven't been keeping an eye on inbound baseball players lately, but this article caught my attention because I saw him play this spring....and so did the UP coaches, apparently:

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/310795-188903-pilots-baseball-signs-salty-woodley

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:15 pm

Did you see that C Cooper Hummel was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers?

Hummel is one of three catchers on the Pilots roster, and there are two inbound for next season, so his loss would be somewhat mitigated if he decides to sign to play professionally, but he has proved to be a key component and clutch player for the Pilots.

A junior, Hummel could easily return to complete his education after giving pro baseball a try, but as he was drafted 18th by the Brewers and 531st overall, I'm not sure what kind of signing bonus he could expect if he decides to leave UP.

Tough decision.....

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:47 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Tough decision.....
Hmm, apparently not!  Sounds like he'll sign......
Cooper Hummel wrote:  After three long days, I finally got the call! Beyond excited to announce that I am a @brewers. I'm so excited for this opportunity. I want to thank everyone that's ever given me the opportunity to play the game and those that have supported me along the way. The journey wasn't always the most direct, but I wouldn't have chosen any other path. This is a dream come true! Go Brewers! #HDMH  

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum