Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots @ WSU Saturday @ 7:30PM - Pac 12 Network

+7
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
ShipstadPilot11
NoPoNeighbor
oldtimer
DoubleDipper
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Pilots @ WSU Saturday @ 7:30PM - Pac 12 Network - Page 3 Empty Re: Pilots @ WSU Saturday @ 7:30PM - Pac 12 Network

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:36 pm

You just know where this is going:
Pilots @ WSU Saturday @ 7:30PM - Pac 12 Network - Page 3 Viscos10

"Not your dad's 30 weight"

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ WSU Saturday @ 7:30PM - Pac 12 Network - Page 3 Empty Re: Pilots @ WSU Saturday @ 7:30PM - Pac 12 Network

Post by oldtimer Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:53 pm

I recall when UP played Seattle University at Key Arena it was a packed house. What Seattle U did was hold an All Catholic night, inviting every single Catholic grade school in the greater Seattle area to the game. Each school had a big banner hanging and there was a great turnout.
I think UP could do similar "nights". Invite (free of charge), all the YMCA teams one night, Boy Scout and Girl Scout another. So on and so on. These kids cant drive themselves so naturally parents attend as well. Fill some seats, create some consistancy.
The reality is that there is a lack of attendance from the students, so why not focus efforts on the community. Drive attendance on a per game basis and let the season tickets follow. Portland is a big market, find ways to bring kids and their parents to the games and see what works.
I also know that some colleges announce prior to tipoff that people sitting in the upper levels are free to move down to empty seats. If UP is only going to bring 1500 people to the game then pack them into centralized areas. Its easier to create excitement when there is a group of fans, not when they are scattered all over the place. Plus at least it looks better on televised games.

Finally, the University has to get creative in order to entice students to get to a game. Crazy hat night, face painting night, that sort of thing helps. Have the faculty give "homework" passes for the night if the kids in their class bring in a ticket stub the next day. Free hotdogs or popcorn. Heck I dont know just find better ways to get the students out of the dorms and into the gym.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:39 pm

All excellent points, oldtimer, and virtually all your suggestions are being actively worked on by the Athletic Department.

Take the time to talk to the UP AD; he strong ideas of how to market, and his plan is to bring fans in, starting with the young folks and winning basketball. To say it will take even more time is an understatement....but this AD is putting a priority on building a fan base and building a winning team.

One of the limiting factors to bringing in organizations and teams, etc. is the age restrictions. The NCAA does not allow high school age kids to be brought in for free because it is considered "recruiting." I don't know the exact rule, but the UP compliance office does, and they are attempting to follow it to the letter.

I think you can expect fans to be invited down from the upper levels starting with the Portland Bible game, but not after WCC play begins.

The idea of food for the students who attend is already in place, but it's a great idea to give "homework passes." I see quite a few professors at the games; next time I see one I'll mention that little gimmick; it should increase student attendance, and the popularity of the professors. Razz

Write or call the AD with your ideas....he really wants everyone's inputs. The idea of "Catholic Night" could be a very good one, however, I look forward to a Catholics vs. Mormons night on Jan 26. You know the various wards will have their signs and chants, it's about time the Catholics countered. pirat

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:49 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Write or call the AD with your ideas....he really wants everyone's inputs. The idea of "Catholic Night" could be a very good one, however, I look forward to a Catholics vs. Mormons night on Jan 26. You know the various wards will have their signs and chants, it's about time the Catholics countered. pirat

I heart the Catholics vs. Mormons night idea! I hope this happens! (It reminds me of the old Catholics vs. Convicts Notre Dame vs. Miami football games!) I also can't agree more on letting the new AD know your thoughts, ideas, etc. Now is the chance. Offer to help, too, if you are so inclined.

Oldtimer, I love your ideas, as well... I look forward to seeing how it works!

First and foremost, we need some consistency on the court, and I can't think of a better night than tomorrow vs. UNLV! Basketball GO PILOTS!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:57 pm

oldtimer wrote:I also know that some colleges announce prior to tipoff that people sitting in the upper levels are free to move down to empty seats. If UP is only going to bring 1500 people to the game then pack them into centralized areas. Its easier to create excitement when there is a group of fans, not when they are scattered all over the place. Plus at least it looks better on televised games.
Better yet... don't open the upper levels of seating except for the Gonzaga and BYU games. You could charge more for seats in the first 15 rows, but sell all the other tickets at a standard, cheaper price moving up sequentially from there. In other words, don't sell seats in row 17 until row 16 is filled. That way the lower rows are always filled, creating a more exciting atmosphere. They've already taken an initial step in this direction by closing down the east end general admission bleachers.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:03 pm

Have you suggested this seating arrangement to the AD?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:05 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Have you suggested this seating arrangement to the AD?
Yes!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Beer garden overlooking the court. Every college hoops venue should have one.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:37 pm

pilotram wrote:Beer garden overlooking the court. Every college hoops venue should have one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBzFtoQ0ZQY

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3