Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USC on 9/16

+14
purple haze
VillaGorilla
uclabobby
gnarly
gxm
'78 Alum
PilotNut
ejjqb
Geezaldinho
PurplePrideTrumpet
DoubleDipper
fan from afar
A_Fan
UPSoccerFanatic
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

USC on 9/16 - Page 2 Empty Re: USC on 9/16

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:43 am

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:

"Street Parking Available" means they don't have a parking lot so you will have to park on the street somewhere in the neighborhood. I think we searched a little for a parking space but it didn't take too long.

But, as a side trip we went to see the La Brea Tar Pits. If you haven't seen them and have time, it is an absolute must. We also rented bikes and rode along the beach, which was great fun.
Thanks...arrive at LAX at noon and depart at 5:45 back to PDX...no time for a tour, but will definitely travel by taxi to and from the airport.

At Fernhill Park waiting for the X-C guys to start running in about 2 minutes....man, are these guys skinny or what? Razz

Off to Jeld-Wen as soon as these boys consume some calories at the end of their meet. Busy weekend, but it beats playing golf all the time. Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:55 pm

Parking on the street around USC's campus? I hope you went for the extra insurance...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:55 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Parking on the street around USC's campus? I hope you went for the extra insurance...

That's what people said about Irvington west of 15th when we moved here in 1970. LOL!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:36 pm

Frisbee makes it 1-0 about 35 minutes in.

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:38 pm

I meant Frisbie. I see Jeter started this game up top.

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:39 pm

No parker, is she hurt this week?

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by uclabobby Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:18 pm

Speaking of the College Cup, a source tells me they will be available on the NCAA site some time this Tuesday. I don't have any idea what time it will be up, but mens is $35 for all 3 games, including parking. It is already available.

uclabobby
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:18 pm

According to GameTracker: Pilots get a 2nd goal by Frisbee in the 58' but USC responds in the 60'. POR 2:1 USC

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:19 pm

2-0 Pilots with a second by Amanda.

And as soon as I write that, USC claws within one in the 61'.

Edit: And RCP beat me to it!
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:26 pm

USC equalizes in the 66'. POR 2:2 USC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Cameli scores in the 68' to make it POR 3:2 USC

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Portland 3-2 USC Full time.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Excellent road win! This season is making me smile so far.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Frisbie Scores Two & Cameli Nets the Game-Winner as the No. 19 Pilots Top USC 3-2

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --- Portland’s Amanda Frisbie continued her success on the road with two goals and Kaila Cameli tallied the game-winner in the 69th minute as the No. 19 Pilots registered a clutch 3-2 win over the Southern California Trojans at McAlister Field on Sunday afternoon. Frisbie now has six goals on the season, which have all come away from Merlo Field, Portland’s famed home pitch.

Portland extends its unbeaten streak to five games and improves to 5-1-1 on the year. USC drops to 3-4-1.

Frisbie started the scoring on Sunday with two goals on her first two shots of the game. Her second goal came in the 59th minute to give the Pilots a 2-0 lead, but it also sparked a flurry of activity from both sides.

USC’s Katie Johnson quickly matched Frisbie’s two goals with two of her own, the first coming just moments later to pull the Trojans within 2-1 in the 61st. It was then only six minutes later when Johnson came up with the equalizer. She finished from inside the 18-yard box on a long USC throw-in.

But then it was Cameli’s turn to get on the score sheet when she tallied her third goal of the year, which capped a 10-minute, four-goal outburst by both teams. Junior outside back Kendall Johnson whipped a cross into the box, where the bouncing ball fell to the feet of Cameli. The junior forward calmly finished into the back of the net to give the Pilots a 3-2 lead, which they would hold onto.

“I thought it was a good road win,” head coach Garrett Smith said. “The team showed a lot of composure and we were able to find the game-winner. It’s always tough to win on the road, and USC was a tough and energetic opponent.”

It was Frisbie who gave the Pilots the two-goal cushion, with her first goal breaking a scoreless tie in the 35th minute. Michelle Cruz sent a pass to Frisbie from the endline right of the goal, and the junior forward was able to tap it into the net from six yards out.

The next goal came on a break-away 13 minutes into the second half after Micaela Capelle sent a through ball to Frisbie. The McKinney, Texas, native stayed composed, outran a chasing defender and tucked a shot underneath USC goalkeeper Caroline Stanley.

“Last year we didn’t have a great offensive showing on the road, so we’ve been trying to focus on that because we know we’re capable of scoring,” said Frisbie. “USC was a high-energy team, but we matched their energy. We came here to get the win and we fought hard.”

The Trojans out-shot the Pilots 22-9 overall, while claiming a slim 8-6 edge in shots on-goal. Portland junior goalkeeper Erin Dees finished with five saves, while Stanley countered with three.

The Pilots next return home for a pair of non-conference games at Merlo next weekend. Seattle visits for a 7 p.m. match on Friday night, while Denver comes to town for a 1 p.m. tilt on Sunday.

“We’re excited to get back in front of the best fans in the country,” Frisbie said. “We want to put on a show and hopefully get the two wins.”

Portland (5-1-1) vs. USC (3-4-1)

Date: Sep 16, 2012 Attendance: 404

Weather: clear skies, 86 degrees, light breeze

Goals by period 1 2 Tot

-------------------------------

Portland............ 1 2 - 3

USC................. 0 2 - 2

SCORING SUMMARY:

1. 34:50 POR FRISBIE, Amanda (5) (CRUZ, Michelle) - cross from right side finished from left off defender

2. 58:31 POR FRISBIE, Amanda (6) (unassisted) - breakaway one on one, shot past diving keeper

3. 60:03 USC Johnson, Katie (2) (Altamirano, Autumn;Johnson, Samantha) - passing series from left, finished in box

4. 66:44 USC Johnson, Katie (3) (Owen, Erin;Carrillo, Marlee) - finish in box off long throw, off #15 head

5. 68:24 POR CAMELI, Kaila (3) (JOHNSON, Kendall) - centering pass finished in box

Shots: Portland 10, USC 22

Saves: Portland 6 (DEES, Erin 5; TEAM 1), USC 3 (Stanley, Caroline 3)
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by uclabobby Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:50 pm

attendance 404 - ouch! (relatively speaking)
I wonder how many were Portland fans? I would have gone if I wanted to drive home through LA in afternoon traffic (which isn't really any lighter on the weekend)

Side note: Everywhere I go, I am reminded of how nice it is to see a UP game so close to the field. I was at the Tenn at UCLA game last week. For the same price as UP charges, the UCLA seats were a good 3 or 4 times as far from the action. I looked through my 200mm camera lens to watch most of it.

uclabobby
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Hopefully, DD will be stepping through his threshold soon with a description of the game and the Pilot fan presence. there were at least two.

It appears we were getting players in the box to meet those crosses, which is gratifying, it is also nice to see we are getting most of our chances on frame.

the breakaway goal is also nice. if teams know we can do it, they will have to respect the treat ands open up the midfield.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:46 pm

uclabobby wrote:
Side note: Everywhere I go, I am reminded of how nice it is to see a UP game so close to the field. I was at the Tenn at UCLA game last week. For the same price as UP charges, the UCLA seats were a good 3 or 4 times as far from the action. I looked through my 200mm camera lens to watch most of it.

UCLA-Pepperdine was on the Pac 12 Network tonight. I can see what you're saying.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by uclabobby Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Yes, and those little bleachers you saw beyond the field are for the people on the VIP/relatives/etc. list. Regular guests sit in the larger seats which the tv cameras are above.

uclabobby
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:25 pm

uclabobby wrote:attendance 404 - ouch! (relatively speaking)
I wonder how many were Portland fans? I would have gone if I wanted to drive home through LA in afternoon traffic (which isn't really any lighter on the weekend)
Found LAX to USC to be a quick 23 minute ride by taxi; arrived just in time for kick off.

A hot day on metal bleachers, but it was easy to move to shady areas because it seemed the game was only attended by friends and family. I would say the “crowd” was equally divided between UP and USC fans, but USC had more family members and UP had more alums. Pretty easy to tell who was who from the various families…..they all wear their kid’s number on their shirts.

I won’t discuss the game much as the descriptions already posted give you a good picture, but what doesn’t show up in the statistics is the pace of play. It was obvious from the first minute that USC’s plan was to run, run, run, and shoot, shoot, shoot, while liberally substituting players. The physical nature of USC’s play and the number of substitutes they ran onto the field eventually took a bit of a toll on the UP players, but UP won by controlling the ball.

Short, tactical passes and wonderful crosses were the order of the day for UP. No need to explain the scoring, it’s in the box score, but you’d be proud the way the Pilots came back to score the deciding goal. UP was really on its heals from the USC onslaught, but ball control and nice passing towards the box finally resulted in the tally by Kaila.

I had to leave the game in the 75th minute to catch a flight to the 49ers/Lions game in Candlestick (hot/dry 85 to cold/windy 55), but a friend who stayed at the game said USC pushed extremely hard the last 10 minutes, but UP was able to take the “air out of the ball” by making timely intercepts and short passing runs away from their goal.

Four impressions:
1) We fans and players are spoiled by the Merlo Field atmosphere and facility.
2) The Pilots are getting better and gaining confidence.
3) Deep concerns about our “short” bench and ability to absorb physical play over a full season.
4) We are not the most athletic team, but we are very well coached.

Back in town for the Seattle U game on Friday, and we’d better not take them lightly. Seattle U has already beaten Gonzaga and they lost to Oregon State 1-0 in Corvallis today in 2 OT.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:55 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Back in town for the Seattle U game on Friday, and we’d better not take them lightly. Seattle U has already beaten Gonzaga and they lost to Oregon State 1-0 in Corvallis today in 2 OT.

I don't think that will be a problem. But if you want to look at Seattle, Gonzaga is 123d in the RPI and that's SU's second best RPI win (best is over #83 St. Mary's).
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychotic Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:21 pm

Game highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM5BCniRfr8

Just the goals here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SPQuXZsvgU

Psychotic
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:46 pm

Haha.

good Lord!

Kendall was the energizer bunny on the last scoring sequence!

Thanks for the clips. Great stuff.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Thanks for the highlights. They were quite nice.

You would like that a team of USC's quality and a university with USC's wealth would have a better soccer facility. But, I suppose space is not easy to come by in LA.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:54 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Haha.

good Lord!

Kendall was the energizer bunny on the last score!
Oh yea, I forgot to include in my earlier post that, although we weren't necessarily as athletic as USC, we were far more skilled. Kendall generally just had her way with her defenders who she ran ragged around the box.

I think there were more wonderful crosses today than in any game all year. Twisted Evil
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:56 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Haha.

Yep. This is a Pac 12 school and it looks like they're playing in a city park, complete with sandbags holding down the goals.

Based only on the camera angle in the video I'm not convinced USC's second was actually a goal.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum