Euro 2012

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by Geezaldinho on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:05 am

So is retirement.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Italy-Huns

Post by Geezaldinho on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Buffon will be very old by the end of this match if this keeps up.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by Geezaldinho on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:08 pm

Unless, of course, if balotelli can pull one out and give them breathing room.

Italy 1-0

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by Geezaldinho on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:24 pm

Balotelli makes it 2-0 on a great counter.

This one is effectively over. Italy averages .6 GPG in the Euros all time.

He gets a yellow for doing a Brandi Chastain.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:42 pm

I have to hand it to him, I didn't think Good Mario would show up. Couple of nicely taken goals for him.

PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Age : 35
Location : Section 18A, Row 5
Registration date : 2007-11-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by Geezaldinho on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:54 pm

And hand it to Pirlo. He set up two goals and saved one off the line.

The man is everywhere.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by Geezaldinho on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:59 pm

Germany has made progress. They seem upset. The last few cups they went with the "well, we didn't make it but we are a great young club on the way up" line.

At least now they are hungry.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by Geezaldinho on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:44 am

No idea who will win this cup, But Italy just won the anthem singing contest.

Buffon was amazing.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by DoubleDipper on Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:39 pm

OK, decided to join a group who are watching this European thing, and found the (first) goal by Spain to be something very special. Don't know who any of those guys are, but the movement, passing, and finish of that goal was great to watch! Very Happy

I hope there is more of the same from both sides.

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6259
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by Geezaldinho on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:42 pm

If you haven't been watching Spain for the last several years you are missing something very special.

I keep thinking that Alexy Lalas said on the first Euro broadcast that teams have Spain's number?

4-0 in a final is ridiculous, and I think Italy played a good game for them.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by DoubleDipper on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:12 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote: If you haven't been watching Spain for the last several years you are missing something very special.
Today was the first time Iíd seen Spain since the World Cup two years ago, and I think they are better. Italy may not be the team it once was, but this is a very good Spanish team. Iíd read where Spain was boring; ha! Not even close to boring.

Their goals were pure skill, but also the culmination of wonderful teamwork. It would appear Spain has a high number of very skilled players who have totally bought into the TEAM concept, not individualism.

Even with Spainís wonderful style, Italy had plenty of possessions, but Spain had PENETRATION, working those elaborate little passing triangles, and then suddenly changing the pace of the game once they saw the openings..Öloved it.

As much as I appreciated the great goal scoring, what I appreciated even more was Spainís ability to get the ball back after losing it. They are so devoted to possessing the ball, and dribbling the ball. Their pass-and-move style of play is fun to watch, and just when I thought no menís team played like this (anymore).

My love of menís soccer is back, but no more MLS for me this season.

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6259
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:51 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:No idea who will win this cup, But Italy just won the anthem singing contest.

Buffon was amazing.
It's easy when the other guy's anthem has no words. Kind of like when you play the last half hour up a man.

In both cases, though, it didn't matter and the better team won.

PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Age : 35
Location : Section 18A, Row 5
Registration date : 2007-11-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:17 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
PurpleGeezer wrote: If you haven't been watching Spain for the last several years you are missing something very special.
Today was the first time Iíd seen Spain since the World Cup two years ago, and I think they are better. Italy may not be the team it once was, but this is a very good Spanish team. Iíd read where Spain was boring; ha! Not even close to boring.

Their goals were pure skill, but also the culmination of wonderful teamwork. It would appear Spain has a high number of very skilled players who have totally bought into the TEAM concept, not individualism.

Even with Spainís wonderful style, Italy had plenty of possessions, but Spain had PENETRATION, working those elaborate little passing triangles, and then suddenly changing the pace of the game once they saw the openings..Öloved it.

As much as I appreciated the great goal scoring, what I appreciated even more was Spainís ability to get the ball back after losing it. They are so devoted to possessing the ball, and dribbling the ball. Their pass-and-move style of play is fun to watch, and just when I thought no menís team played like this (anymore).

My love of menís soccer is back, but no more MLS for me this season.

Spain is on a different level right now. In the games before the Final they had been called boring because they weren't as good as they were yesterday. I think some of those people have just been spoiled by what Spain does, they were always going to be one of the favorites.

The thing about the Spanish game is, some opponents just won't play football with them. Look back to the 2010 World Cup Final with the Dutch. That was ugly. If you watch Barcelona, who plays the same style with lots of Spanish NT players, in the Champions League teams like Chelsea and Inter have beaten them by going into a defensive shell to keep them from scoring, then stealing a goal off a defensive mistake. Fortunately Italy chose not to go that route, and really they're good enough not to have to. They were keeping up with Spain until Motta went down and they had no subs left. As far as major finals go this was a very good game until the last 30 minutes.

PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Age : 35
Location : Section 18A, Row 5
Registration date : 2007-11-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by Geezaldinho on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:59 am

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
PurpleGeezer wrote:No idea who will win this cup, But Italy just won the anthem singing contest.

Buffon was amazing.
It's easy when the other guy's anthem has no words. Kind of like when you play the last half hour up a man.

In both cases, though, it didn't matter and the better team won.

Buffon would have won if the other team had sung Bohemian Rhapsody.

There actually are words for the Spanish March that can be sung, it's just that the starters only know the Catalan anthem.


Last edited by PurpleGeezer on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by mattywizz on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:08 pm

I thought the second goal was great. You could see it from a mile away, with the through run starting at about midfield, a perfectly timed pass and a nice little finish around the keeper.

mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Age : 34
Location : La Crosse, WI
Registration date : 2007-07-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by Geezaldinho on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:45 pm

I wonder if anybody has done reaction time tests on Buffon and Casillas?

I thought they were both outstanding in this tournament.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euro 2012

Post by Geezaldinho on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:08 pm

Here is a pretty amazing clip of Iker Casillas asking the ref to forget about injury time out of respect for Italy...


Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum