Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US vs. France

+5
OldePilot
fan from afar
jc
SoreKnees
DaTruRochin
9 posters

Go down

US vs. France Empty US vs. France

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:18 am

Man oh man... I worried about a hangobver game, and we most definitely have one going. One goal early and then France has been dominating the rest of the way. The fact that it is only tied in the 58th minute is kind of a miracle. There has been little possession, and it seems all the attacking "efforts" have been long balls into space. Also they are requiring 2 defenders to stop each French player, which when they win the ball means the player to pass to to start possession is bunched right there so they have to go long. Just really ugly, lets hope the final half hour sees some improvement.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

US vs. France Empty Re: US vs. France

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:43 am

Megan comes in and totally changes the game... Coincidence?
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:28 am

From the NY Times live blog of the semi-final, 90th minute:

"90th + 1 Two Minutes of Added Time

Please use them to think about how good Megan Rapinoe has been in this tournament. She came on in the 65th minute, and 15 minutes later the U.S. had the lead."
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by jc Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:14 pm

Jere Longman of the New York Times appears to be one of many who have become fans of Megan. Check her story at http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/14/sports/soccer/womens-world-cup-us-in-first-final-in-12-years.html?hp
jc
jc
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jc Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:01 pm

And here is an update, with the Megan accolades ramped up to another level
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/14/sports/soccer/womens-world-cup-us-in-first-final-in-12-years.html?ref=sports
jc
jc
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:03 pm

I think Meghan turned the game around, along with getting a tired Lloyd out and a fresh Morgan in. It did seem like a hangover game.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:08 pm

Interestingly enough, Foudy has changed her tune regarding Megan. It may have taken THE PASS to do it, but her tone has changed entirely.

Ditto to DaTruRochin and the NY Times. Megan pumps it up.
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Is it any coincidence that the general tone of the game switched from send-it-long to pass to the open player and "work" it up the field with Megan's entrance into the game? The overwhelming tendency to make the long pass, hoping that a team mate can control it, has made this team difficult to watch at time. They seem to refuse to even look for the shorter control pass that we have been so fortunate to watch all these years at Merlo. Why do the US coaches allow this type of soccer when the beautiful game can be so much more successful? Also, I'm not sure what LaPeilbet brings to the game in lieu of Stephanie. Her lack of understanding of game situation was perfectly demonstrated with a few minutes remaining when the four backs had the ball with no defender within 10 yards, a couple of passes maintained possession using time until LaPeilbet got the ball and ignored her wide open teammates to send a long pass up to a French player. How typical of much of the US game. Let's hope for more of the control game on Sunday, otherwise the outcome could be very ugly.

Regardless of all that, way to go, Megan. Keep up that beautiful "attitude" as you pull your team along with you, showing everyone how the game can be played.

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Here are more accolades for Megan from Grant Wahl, one of the most knowledgeable reporters of the game today:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/grant_wahl/07/13/us.france.wwc/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 pm

Going through my tweets for the day. I follow a lot of soccer ones, so I'm swamped.

But one of the most interesting for me so far is this one from our own PortlandPilots

Portland Pilots (@PortlandPilots)
7/13/11 1:09 PM
Wow RT @PCarrESPN In 219 min. w/ Rapinoe, #USWNT has 6 goals, 20 shots in box. In 261 min. w/o her, US 5 and 9

that's a goal every 36.5 minutes
with her out, it's every 52.2 minutes.

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:31 am

ejjqb - You really hit the nail right on the head!! I am pretty sure Pia would like them to play with more of a control game instead of all the long balls, and sometimes they do, but too often it's a long ball, usually to the other team. I can see Japan possibly controlling the ball for a large majority of the game and us chasing for most of the game. We could still win doing that, but it will be frustrating to watch.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo Kid Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:25 am

Nice article in USAToday on Megan and other player. Compliments Megan's play.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/2011-07-13-usa-france-lauren-cheney_n.htm
Indigo Kid
Indigo Kid
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:30 pm

Cheney is way better as a center mid than wide left. Always bothers me to have a wide player left who won't use her left foot. Japan is small: no need for size and power in center mid. Play Boxx or Lloyd with Cheney and start Rapinoe.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Agreed... The Japanese mids will run circles around a Boxx/Lloyd combination.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:42 am

Welp, Lloyd and Boxx are still there, but Cheney came in for A-Rod (Who has been pretty underwhelming... And I suspect Lauren will almost play more recessed and help out defending the mids) BUT Rapinoe slides in to start wide on the left. I really like this lineup, but kind of worry about Boxx getting run ragged and/or unleashing some dumb foul at the wrong place because she can't keep up with the Japanese quickness.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum