Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland Timbers Farewell Tour 2010 [R]

+2
Geezaldinho
PurplePrideTrumpet
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Portland Timbers Farewell Tour 2010 [R] - Page 2 Empty Re: Portland Timbers Farewell Tour 2010 [R]

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:22 pm

I see Merlo isn't idle this weekend. The Timbers and Vancouver are at 0-0 at the half.

Timbers need at least 2 to stay alive in the playoffs
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Portland Timbers Farewell Tour 2010 [R] - Page 2 Empty Re: Portland Timbers Farewell Tour 2010 [R]

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:25 pm

And they get one of them in the 49th minute. Score is now 1:2

Marcelin -- header from Joy
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:30 pm

That was all we got unfortunately. We came close a few other times, but the first 15 minutes Thursday was the difference.

Merlo was far from idle, especially when the Timbers were shooting at the Timbers Army end. The stands behind the goal are close but really spread out so the capos have to work extra hard to keep the sections singing together.

I know the boys went for it as hard as they could tonight and that's all I wanted.

This era is over. The next era begins now, and I'm excited to see what it brings.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm so stoked for the Sounders vs. Timbers Rivalry. One thing that will be interesting to see is how they market the Timbers' history. I attended the Guadalajara Chivas vs. Sounders FC friendly here earlier this week, and I have to say it's disappointing to see how history gets lost. It's as if the marketers only remember the 2 years of MLS history and ignore the previous accomplishments of the team when they market the game. Granted, we aren't as storied as the Chivas, but, there's still some rich history there...

I hope to witness a Timbers vs. Sounders Open Cup Final. Few MLS teams take the Open Cup seriously. Let's make it happen. Pilot connections and bitter rivalries all over the field...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:32 pm

I would love to see new fans learn the history of the Timbers. We have added so many new fans this year and I know there will be more next year. The supporters I have met the past two years have told me about the great Timbers teams and players. I will be doing the same in the coming years. The front office talks about how Portland is Soccer City, USA, so I hope they will promote the great history we have here.

It's funny, right before reading this I posted something on the Timbers board about how Portland and Seattle fans do have some things in common and how I find mindless Seattle bashing to be tired and played out.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:01 pm

Yeah, I think the bashing just to bash just because it's what you always do is kind of ridiculous... I mean we have tradition regional rivalry, but not exactly an Old Firm or Partizan/Red Star Belgrade kind of pure hatred thing. The rivalry should be a good addition to the league, but angsty bickering just because it's what we've always done seems both a little childish and short sighted. (And in no way are the Seattle supporter groups any less innocent of this than the TA)

Also it's kind of a funny balance to try and create brand identity that is marketable locally, nationally and internationally while at the same time honoring the existing history that might exist. I know initially when naming the sounders they didn't have "Sounders" as an option because they didn't think it would be marketable overseas, I mean how is someone in Osaka or Edinburgh supposed to know what a Sounder is?? But enough ruckus was raised that the ownership group was forced to pick the popular choice.

I think ultimately history is for the fans, something to tie them to the club, the club's job is to look forward and provide the good experience for the fans and put a great product on the field. It's the fans responsibility to make sure the club doesn't forget where it's been. (Now shouting obscenities at a new logo in a very public environment might not be the most diplomatic way of doing it Razz) The FO does need to be kept honest and aware of how fans feel about where the club has been, they are only going to honor the history if they feel like that's a way they are going to get fans interested and involved (read: make them money).
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:21 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:The FO does need to be kept honest and aware of how fans feel about where the club has been, they are only going to honor the history if they feel like that's a way they are going to get fans interested and involved (read: make them money).
Exactly. It took me a while to figure this out, but Merritt is a businessman. If advertising our heritage will sell more tickets, he's going to do it.

Speaking of which, he could sell tons of adidas Originals shirts and track jackets if he put the old Timbers crest on them. Just saying...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:50 pm

In case you were wondering, yes. Seattle fans get it. So do Vancouver fans. When it really matters, ALL of Cascadia stands together:

Cascadia Supporters Groups Jointly Oppose 150 Seat Limit for Visiting Fans

Unified Call for Clubs to Reasonably Accommodate Traveling Fans in 2011

Portland, OR., Seattle, WA., Vancouver, B.C. — November 1, 2010
The Timbers Army, Emerald City Supporters, and Vancouver Southsiders have combined forces in order to jointly oppose limiting visiting support in Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland to the 150 tickets stipulated by Major League Soccer.

The united supporters groups assert that visiting support adds greatly to the atmosphere of their home stadiums and that limiting the amount of visiting supporters to 150 is an insult to the tradition and history surrounding the Cascadia Rivalry and undermines the growth of Major League Soccer in the Pacific Northwest.

In the NASL days thousands of fans packed cars and buses traveling to and from Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver. The USL proved to be no different with each group sending hundreds of fans to their rival cities in support of their hometown team. In the past decade, traveling support has increased each year between the Cascadia Clubs and in 2010 each supporters group has sent as many as 750 fans to US Open Cup matches, pre-season and regular season matches between the three teams. At the cusp of the three clubs returning to the highest professional level in North America, the supporters groups have been left in the dark with rumors emanating from Seattle that owner Joe Roth has decided that only 150 visiting supporters will be allowed in to "ensure the safety and security of the Seattle fans while keeping the integrity of the home crowd and the great atmosphere." The Cascadia supporters groups strongly disagree with this sentiment.

"If Seattle limits traveling support at 150 in Qwest Field our front office would likely do the same to Seattle at the very least, if not Vancouver as well" said Dave Hoyt, President of Portland’s 107 Independent Supporters Trust, "It is unacceptable that any of the three clubs will limit traveling support to a mere 150 seats when the demand is far higher and all three stadiums can accommodate, at a minimum, 1,000 away supporters in a safe and comfortable manner."

"Obviously our stadium can accommodate traveling supporters" said Keith Hodo, President of Seattle’s Emerald City Supporters, "According to page 30 I.14 C of FIFA football club regulations clubs are recommended to allocate 5% of the seating in their stadium to the away support. We (ECS) feel that our club should heed this recommendation and exceed it, offering as many seats as either Portland or Vancouver are willing to bring people. This will only enhance the atmosphere in the stadium and increase the profile of football here in the States."

"A 150 fan limit simply denies the reality and passion all three sets of supporters have for their club and the fact many will travel regardless of artificially imposed limits" said John Knox, president of the Vancouver Whitecaps supporter’s organization, The Southsiders. Knox continued "The Southsiders strongly believe that there needs to be a cohesive, unified policy among all three clubs that provides for a safe and fun fan experience for visiting Cascadia supporters while maximizing the opportunity to travel in 2011."

The three supporters groups strongly encourage traveling support from all cities in the Cascadia rivalry.

There should be no limits on traveling support and there should be a designated section for away fans. Traveling supporters on another team’s home turf electrifies the atmosphere and increases the earnestness in supporting your own team.

Simply letting visiting fans purchase individual tickets throughout the three stadiums will create more chaos and a higher potential for incidents all three groups want to avoid.

Work together to find acceptable solutions to security concerns. The collective front offices should work with their supporters groups to assure the safety and security of both the home and away fan.

Major League Soccer stands to benefit from this rivalry. In 2011 the eyes of the league will be set squarely on the Pacific Northwest. Do not rob the league and the three clubs represented from becoming the pride of Major League Soccer.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2