Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I can't believe it!

+2
harryb
Geezaldinho
6 posters

Go down

I can't believe it! Empty I can't believe it!

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:22 pm

I was just listening to Jerry Smith being interviewed on TV at the Stanford CAL game.

He couldn't get through an interview without mentioning the 8-0 game against UP in 1999.talk about living in the past....

What an ass.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

I can't believe it! Empty Re: I can't believe it!

Post by harryb Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Take into account that he's in an awkward position. His teams have underperformed for the last couple of years. He's used to being at the top of the soccer world, and for now, he's not. Nobody can seriously think that ten years ago represents today.
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:35 pm

Without hearing the whole interview, I'd give Jerry the benefit of the doubt. If, for example, the interviewer asked him to review the ups and downs of the Broncos and Pilot teams over the last 20 years, that game would illustrate the Pilots being down that year. I'd probably mention it if someone asked me such a question.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by karanicole Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:31 pm

I heard the interview and thought he was extremely gracious, congratulating the Stanford team and coaches on their superb season. He only brought up his 99 team because the announcer asked what it felt like to go undefeated for the entire season. One could argue that it is a different position to have never seen your team bounce back from defeat and the question was geared toward the challenges teams face when doing so.

karanicole
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:58 pm

karanicole wrote:I heard the interview and thought he was extremely gracious, congratulating the Stanford team and coaches on their superb season. He only brought up his 99 team because the announcer asked what it felt like to go undefeated for the entire season. One could argue that it is a different position to have never seen your team bounce back from defeat and the question was geared toward the challenges teams face when doing so.

Maybe I'm just sensitive about that game.

he could have mentioned a 9-0 win that year or that he beat UCLA 7-0 in the tournament, or that he beat Stanford that year.

but he didn't.

If he wanted to talk about the challenges of being undefeated, the UCLA result would have actually made a better story, with the cautionary information that he lost the next game to Notre Dame in the semis.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by slick Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:37 pm

hey . . . he married an ex-player from his team . . . unusual??

slick
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:43 pm

Maybe it's an unintended form of compliment. "Hey guys, we're really pretty good, back in the day, we beat U of P (year in and year out, one of the top teams in the country), 8-0!" I think this reflects that right now, the Pilots and Stanford are considered by the Division I women's soccer public as being the top two teams in the US.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum