Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Article About Scheduling

2 posters

Go down

Good Article About Scheduling Empty Good Article About Scheduling

Post by Stonehouse Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:58 am

Definitely worth a read:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=whelliston_kyle&id=3044505

Sounds like maybe, just maybe, the tide is starting to turn a bit? I wouldn't count on it, but it's an interesting take on a school (USC) that understands the benefits of playing midmajors on the road. I especially liked this quote from Tim Floyd:

"There's a certain amount of arrogance at our level, where we don't feel like we have to return games," Floyd explained. "But we have a young team that will have expectations, and we will need to learn that you play the game a little differently on the road. You don't experiment with that at UCLA or at Washington or at Stanford. … I want to teach these kids that no matter where you play, the road is difficult."

Makes a whole let of sense, doesn't it?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Good Article About Scheduling Empty Re: Good Article About Scheduling

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:20 am

Up has been more fortunate than most. We've been able to schedule "two-for-ones" with several schools over the years (Duke, Tennesee on the women's side come to mind, I wonder if UCLA is next), usually because they had an Oregon HS player they wanted to give a date in their home state.

It's been great for UP. It's a little easier now that away wins and home losses count for a bit more in the RPI. I understand there is a move afoot to weight those games even more.

I'm not sure you can count the Oregon game as trend setting. They've been willing to trade dates with us for 15 years or so-- 1-for1.
We've been fortunate that UofO wants to play in Portland. Ditto OSU.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down