Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sinclair and Wambach

+2
A_Fan
Geezaldinho
6 posters

Go down

Sinclair and Wambach Empty Sinclair and Wambach

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:48 am

Enjoy

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Sinclair and Wambach Empty Re: Sinclair and Wambach

Post by A_Fan Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:29 pm

Excellent. Christine really shined in that interview.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:34 pm

I watched the US - Canada game today.

Congratulations to Abby W on her 100 goals.

But I couldn't help wondering how many goals Sinc would score if you switched the two of them.

Christine is a far better player in my opinion. She's quicker; her first touch is better; and she is a better passer of the ball.

She'd be on 150 goals if she was playing up front for the USA.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:00 am

I was at the game. A few observations which were possibly not obvious on TV:

1- The first thing my wife said when she arrived (1/2 hour late, from parking the car - she's really a saint) was that we looked tired. I thought the same thing. They have been playing lots of games in the past few months.

2- Even so, our constant movement away from the ball, in and out of the middle by the front 6, was excellent. As a result, our possession through the middle was great and we dominated possession time. I thought this was extremely encouraging, as we have not usually played like that in recent years. We played like UP!!

3- Meghan created some dangerous situations in the first half, but she looked tired in the 2nd half - held the ball too much, lost it too much.

4- Our central defenders were great. They held a good line, closed down the gaps, and were great one on one when necessary. They didn't allow any through balls to Christine. They also seemed confident and patient with the ball on their feet, not just bashing it mindlessly forward, which was also very encouraging.

5- As I watched the game, I had the same thought as Harry. Christine would have 150-200 goals playing for us. I think she was the best player on the field. The Canadians simply couldn't create any dangerous situations for her, but her skills and first touches (esp. one touch passes) were wonderful. Unfortunately for her, nothing much usually happened after her one-touch passes. It looked like she was playing AGAINST a Portland team, which was a little sad. What a classy lady, though (thanks PG).

6- Rodriguez and Cheney seem to me to be incomplete players, with opposite strengths and weaknesses. Rodriguez is fast with good skills but seems to need a better understanding of the game (it's too bad she didn't play for Garrett for 4 years). She seemed to be making the wrong passes and the wrong runs, not getting to the right spots. When Cheney came in, she immediately created a few dangerous situations but didn't have the skills to finish them off, especially on the through ball she got from Abby (I think). She was in the perfect spot and made the perfect run and should have scored. Rodriguez probably would have scored, but she never got herself into that situation.

7. I WAS THERE for Abby's 100th goal!!! And, in her hometown. NEAT!! To be completely honest, though, I would rather have been there for Christine's 100th goal, as long as the final score was, say, 2-1 U.S., with maybe Abby and Meghan scoring, but Christine scoring first. That would have been perfect.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:49 am

Thanks, FFA, for such a great report. You can see some things much better when you are there live; TV has the advantage of replay.

I agree with your read on Megan tiring in the second half. But my overall conclusion was that she showed that she belongs on the field at that level.

It was great to see that both coaches are looking to have their teams play a more fluid and possession-oriented style of play. IMO that is the only way to beat the top teams internationally. The physical hit-and-hope long ball works against the weaker teams because players like Cheney and Wambach can out-muscle the opposition; but that does not work against Germany and Brazil and the top Euros.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:03 pm

Thanks for posting the video, Geezer. Christine will always be the No. 1 striker on my fantasy team. Abby might -- MIGHT -- be better in the air, but for all the reasons noted above, Christine rules overall. Without a stellar midfield, which Canada lacks, Christine just won't get the great looks and touches in the numbers that Abby does. This video brings back good memories of seeing Tiffeny M. score her 100th goal on her home field of Merlo.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:35 pm

purple haze wrote: This video brings back good memories of seeing Tiffeny M. score her 100th goal on her home field of Merlo.

Oh, If you want to go there, here it is and more.

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by scrfn Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:47 am

Sweet opportinity inthe Interview Thanks for sharing..
scrfn
scrfn
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-07-05

Back to top Go down