Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recruting Tool

3 posters

Go down

Recruting Tool Empty Recruting Tool

Post by GUPhantom Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:07 pm

Do the Pilots ever use ex-players as a recruiting tool? Can they contact recruits?

I'm pretty sure there are limitations and restrictions on what they can do. I was just wondering if the Pilots do this? Its a question I have always been curious about . I haven't ever seen it posted or discussed on Pilot Nation. If I were a soccer recruit and got a call from Pilot Stars...such as Christine Sinclair, Tiffeny Millbrett, Steph Lopez...it would certainly be a very influencial thing and convince me where I should go.

I've noticed visiting teams at Merlo....(who have either finished playing...or waiting to play)....take notice and practically gawk....when Christine and Tiff walked by them....WOW....Pilot royalty!! Shocked

I smile at the reactions....practically everyone's head turns and follows them!

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Recruting Tool Empty Re: Recruting Tool

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Ex-players fall under the category of "person of athletic interest". It's a big simplification, but you can't use such folks in recruiting, and about all they'd be able to say is contact a coach if they were asked. In that respect, they are just another booster, and the NCAA doesn't much like them meddling in recruiting.

There are, of course, exceptions, Ex-players could coach recruits in prep, club, camps, or ODP, but there are restrictions about what they can tell a player. It is presumed that their actions in those circumstances are in the interest of the player, as they should be. If questions came up about options, such a coach is expected to outline ALL the options a player has.

Still, if you knew that Tiff or Christine or any other former player was paying attention to what you were doing, you'd have to be pretty dense not to contact the UP coaching staff.

And as you say, just their presence at games reminds recruits about UP heritage.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:10 pm

Thanks for clarifying Geez. We've all heard recruiting stories with the big universities using Heisman Trophy winners, famous alumni, NBA and NFL stars to tip the scales in their favor with star-struck recruits. Mostly rumor mill stuff then? Or is a lot of it open to interpretation and skirting of the rules? The recruiting game is a very interesting tightrope to walk. pale

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:13 pm

Here's a Sinclair story I heard recently from a mom whose family attended the Pilots' 2005 championship celebration and autograph party downtown: One of her daughters waited in line for autographs and when she got to Sinclair, she said, "Christine, you are the greatest!" Christine told her, "No, you are."

Now that is a recruiting tool whether recruiting players, students or lifelong fans.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:25 pm

AMEN PH!! Very Happy
Love that story! All the more reason to love Christine. She's so classy!

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:37 pm

If I had anything close to Sinclair's skill, I fear I would be insufferable. But she is world-class in modesty and humility too.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum