Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abby Wambach hurt

+2
SoreKnees
Geezaldinho
6 posters

Go down

Abby Wambach hurt Empty Abby Wambach hurt

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:37 pm

Yeah, this should probably be posted under "other", but somehow I felt it should go here.

In a meaningless game against Brasil that the US won 1-0, USA striker Abby Wambach broke her leg below the knee and will certainly be out for a long time. I didn't see the game, but online folks who did said it was really ugly. The TV kept replaying it, apparently, like they seem compelled to do in those situations.(The Lawrence Taylor hit on Joe Theisman still keeps me up at night.)

I'd like to say I hope she's OK, but it seems clear she's not. I just hope it wasn't career ending.

Prayers go out to her.

EDIT: reports are she had a clean break of both the tibia and fibula. Pins will be inserted tomorrow (Thurs)
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Abby Wambach hurt Empty Re: Abby Wambach hurt

Post by SoreKnees Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:28 am

I did see the match on TV. She was impressively stoic lying on the ground waiting to be carried off.

That said, I've always felt that the US team has overemphasized her role up front. It's too bad that they won't have much time to change up the attack from "find Abby" to a more balanced approach or to integrate someone new into the front line.

Overall, I thought the US team looked weak last night, even before the injury. They struggled to get good scoring chances on home turf against a Brazilian team missing its three best players. The Brazilian 'keeper had zero saves in the first half; no shot was really close to the frame. Midfield dominated possession, but struggled to advance the ball into the attacking zone. Chalupny (playing in Stephanie's spot) seemed out of position.

Barring a sudden resurgence, a berth in the Olympic semi-finals might be optimistic.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:25 pm

I agree SoreKnees. I saw the first game vs Brazil. They did not look sharp at all....especially on the attack. Felt and looked clumsy. I thought there should be a lot more cohesiveness up-front by now. It's hard to imagine how the US will threaten anyone without Abby. I had the same thoughts...they need someone like Angie to transition and setup the strikers. But, looks like the replacement is Cheney.

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:07 am

Nice quotes from Abby while in the Emergency room

“I want to thank all the fans, the doctors, the players on the team and Tasha Kai for scoring the winning goal,” said Wambach from the emergency room. ”Obviously, it’s devastating, but above everything else, I’m only one player, and you can never win a championship with just one player. I have the utmost confidence in this team bringing home the gold.”

“I’m excited to watch them and cheer them on during this challenge they’ve been presented with,” said Wambach. “It’s really going to take everyone coming together. I love them all so much, and appreciate so many people involved with this game and the team. I put my heart and soul into this game every day, but sometimes accidents happen. I’ve gotten so many calls already, and I just want to say how much I appreciate that.”

Abby seems to be a true pro, interviewing even while in the hospital, and even then making about the team, not herself, class act.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:54 pm

geez,
you were perfectly right posting this here. after the u of p team, the us national team is 'my team'., mainly because of tiffeny an shannon. when i heard about abby's injury an the comparison being with joe theisman's injury, there is absolutely no way i'm going to watch that! i looked away every time, both with abby an joe. unfortunately i was watching theisman's game when he g9t hurt!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:15 pm

fozziewozzie wrote:geez,
you were perfectly right posting this here. after the u of p team, the us national team is 'my team'., mainly because of tiffeny an shannon. when i heard about abby's injury an the comparison being with joe theisman's injury, there is absolutely no way i'm going to watch that! i looked away every time, both with abby an joe. unfortunately i was watching theisman's game when he g9t hurt!

I understand your trepidation. I saw the Theisman injury, and I still get the shudders. (if you saw the game live, they showed it about 50 times, with different angles, slomo, and everything. Did anybody ever see the SNL "buckweat is dead" skit?)

I did see grainy video of Abby's to see what the circumstances were and it doesn't look as dramatic, but I have resolved not to hunt up another better image because I don't want to wake up at nights with TWO nightmares.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:04 am

Good to see you posting, fozzie. You must have taken a break or something. I know about April, May I got into a big project and kind of let Pilot Nation slide a little bit. Probably good for me to take a break, 'cause I've returned like a madman, posting it seems like all the time. I've just got the bug again, and I think I'm ready for five months or so of Soccer Madness!!! Twisted Evil
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:29 am

I do really feel for Abby. That's a real tragedy for her, especially after all that training and hard work and Olympic hopes for a second Gold Medal and all. pale

Can't say I'm totally surprised she got hurt, given her all-out physical play. But to break both upper and lower leg bones is something you usually hear happen after a car accident or some other terrible fall, etc..

That collision must have felt like two freight trains crashing head-on! I'm not even thinking about the Olympic team right now. (In the big picture of life, it's just sports, afterall.) I just hope she heals well enough to be able to walk normal again. But knowing her toughness, she'll probably be out playing soccer again by the end of the year!! Smile
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:50 pm

the one thing i did see of her injury was after the fact. we all know how soccer players on the international level, every time they get 'touched' they roll around on the ground like they've been mortally wounded. abby, just layed on the ground an waived the trainers in. no rolling, no tears, no nothing except i'm hurt an you need to come get me. what composure!!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:19 pm

Yeah - I noticed that, too. She is one really tough lady!

She'll be back. You just Know It!!!
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:26 pm

And SHE's the one who said Steph was the tough one when she got stapled in the World Cup.

They may be carrying competition too far....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down