Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WoaH!!! er, I mean, WoHoo! icing on the cake!

5 posters

Go down

WoaH!!! er, I mean, WoHoo!  icing on the cake! Empty WoaH!!! er, I mean, WoHoo! icing on the cake!

Post by Geezaldinho Fri May 16, 2008 11:20 pm

I just ran into this, It doesn't have an April 1 date, and a couple sources seem to confirm it.

While we've been loafing around waiting for the season to start, others have been busy.

Emma Nelson, from Archbishop Murphy High School in the Seattle area, has signed a letter of intent today to play soccer for Portland.
She co-captained her team to a state title in 2006 as a junior, and is listed as the teams center mid. She had an injury playing basketball last year, but came back and her team had a dominating year this year. At one point over 17 games, her team outscored opponents 93-7 and won their conference games by an average of 6 goals. She played several positions this year and was named most inspirational.

I think Murphy got upset in the semi's this year.

Everett Herald

Enterprise Newspapers

--the mysterious ms. X?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

WoaH!!! er, I mean, WoHoo!  icing on the cake! Empty Depth & The Pilots

Post by FANatic Sat May 17, 2008 10:28 am

Geezer - I wasn't expecting this, but it does make sense from a depth perspective. Let's face it, we were kind of caught short-handed the last two seasons, and 2008 is a big question mark; (what with the Olympics at the begining of the season, the Under-20 World Cup late in the season and the uncertainty surrounding two players recovering from ACL tears.)

I think Garrett and company are getting to the point where they simply need more players. Hopefully, Emma is a good one! Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

WoaH!!! er, I mean, WoHoo!  icing on the cake! Empty Re: WoaH!!! er, I mean, WoHoo! icing on the cake!

Post by ninjapizza Sat May 17, 2008 10:51 am

More pranks from you, Geezer? Or have we really landed another Canadian superstar? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Nelson

I was totally a fan of her mom in middle school, though.
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

WoaH!!! er, I mean, WoHoo!  icing on the cake! Empty Re: WoaH!!! er, I mean, WoHoo! icing on the cake!

Post by GUPhantom Sat May 17, 2008 11:57 am

That's fantastic news on Ms X...Emma Nelson. Lets get Kaityn Shaw included as a walk-on and dang...we could really put the bow..icing..and moonpie on the 2008 Class! ....WooHoo indeed!!!

Has anyone noticed a trend in UP's recruiting classes? I see very...VERY athletic players....Bigger, Faster, Stronger!!? Other sports....Track&Field and Basketball in particular....seems to be a common theme among the girl's resumes. They've not been solely futbol players all their lives. I think that only adds another dimension to the kind of players the Pilots are going to field against the competition. Its a definite departure from when the Pilots had the reputation of being a finesse team and could be intimidated physically...NOT ANY MORE!! Evil or Very Mad

"We're a mean lean fighting machine"....I love it!

Quick comment on Kreminski not listing on SoccerBuzz. Its okay...based on what I noted above....I trust that she may be the next Keelin Winters who was also "overlooked".

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat May 17, 2008 2:27 pm

Oh my gosh, Ninjapizza, five stars for the Degrassi reference!!!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sat May 17, 2008 2:45 pm

Here's a link showing that our new recruit is a clutch player. And her coach seems to have a ton of confidence in her.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsports/2004007056_prepsoccer11.html

(Hey guys - I forgot how to use the link. A quick reminder, please?) Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat May 17, 2008 5:18 pm

When I ran across the story, I was as surprised as the rest of you, so I went hunting before I posted. It checked out.

First off, I think this is more than just trying to find a warm body. She clearly has talent. The ms.X reference was because she fits the profile on the tip I got last fall (good mid, injured junior year so we might sneak her in under the radar, from Seattle area). It might not be her, but I think it is. I think the coaches wanted her all along.

She may be the classic example of a player who makes it without having made a big splash on the club scene. It shows me the coaches will look anywhere for talent.

FANatic wrote:Here's a link showing that our new recruit is a clutch player. And her coach seems to have a ton of confidence in her.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsports/2004007056_prepsoccer11.html
(Hey guys - I forgot how to use the link. A quick reminder, please?) Very Happy
The linking is easy.

click on the little button that looks like a chain link in the editor.
You'll get a widow that pops up with two lines you can enter text into.
WoaH!!! er, I mean, WoHoo!  icing on the cake! How_to10
In the first line you enter the URL link, the second is whatever text you want to appear on your post. After you've put what you want in those boxes, click OK. The editor takes care of the rest.

It usually appends to the end of your post. Just cut and paste to where you want it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat May 17, 2008 7:46 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Oh my gosh, Ninjapizza, five stars for the Degrassi reference!!!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Is THIS what you guys spend your evenings doing?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

WoaH!!! er, I mean, WoHoo!  icing on the cake! Empty Emma - YEAH!!!

Post by FANatic Sat May 17, 2008 8:45 pm

This article shows Emma's high school team seems to be about as relentless as the Pilots are, both offensively and defensively. And she's a leader right in the middle of it! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Another Archbishop Murphy Article

Geezer - Thanks for showing me how to link. I thought you were joking at first about MS. X. Rather, I think you were right on all along!!! If that's the case, she probably is another very good 2008 recruit. (That makes 6!!!). cheers

We need to find a profile page on her. I'll try....
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

WoaH!!! er, I mean, WoHoo!  icing on the cake! Empty P.S.

Post by FANatic Sat May 17, 2008 8:50 pm

P.S. to last post: If our friend fozziewozzie reads this, she's likely to go through the roof and stop sleeping completely for a few weeks..... Twisted Evil
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

WoaH!!! er, I mean, WoHoo!  icing on the cake! Empty Post Script To Last P.S.

Post by FANatic Sat May 17, 2008 8:57 pm

I can't stop singing and dancing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i luv recruits, recruits, recruits, recruits............................. jocolor drunken geek jocolor drunken geek

Hey Geez - any high school freshmen commit yet?
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat May 17, 2008 9:43 pm

FANatic wrote:I can't stop singing and dancing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Geez - any high school freshmen commit yet?

Well, if you are going to jump around, take that pipe out of your mouth.

No freshmen, but I do have it on good authority that Caden Baumgardt-Yamada, son of Tote and Justi, has given a verbal commitment. Class of 2024, I think

Seattle Times story
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun May 18, 2008 9:17 am

here's a little "time out" piece on Emma from The Herald
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Sun May 18, 2008 9:49 am

She kinda looks like Spike, too.

(Yes, I'm still on that. Give me a break, I'm trying to reach 100 posts.)

On a more serious note, I can't wait for fall. I might even take a road trip to Jersey and PA to see those games.
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue May 20, 2008 1:40 am

ninjapizza wrote:
( Give me a break, I'm trying to reach 100 posts.)

On a more serious note, I can't wait for fall. I might even take a road trip to Jersey and PA to see those games.

This ought to put you over the top.....

So, how many hours driving time do you figure it will be to New Brunswick?

While you're thinking about it, here's a tidbit about Emma in the Seattle Times
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Tue May 20, 2008 9:38 am

According to Google maps, it is about 4 hours. Which probably means it's more like 6, but I've never driven up that way before. I hear there are these turnpike things, which sound kind of terrifying. Maybe there's a train that will just drop me right off at the field?

100th post!
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue May 20, 2008 11:37 am

I'm pretty sure there's an Amtrak stop in New Brunswick, and there is most likely buses to Rutgers from there. The turnpike on the weekend is no fun...

See also the Unofficial NJ Transit commuter train schedules - look under the Northeast Corridor. Rutgers Info also offers information on Trains to and from New York

From New York, NY or Newark, NJ.

From Penn Station in New York City; or from Penn Station in Newark, Ride to New Brunswick on Amtrak or New Jersey Transit. New Jersey Transit costs less and is more frequent.
Taxi services are familiar with University area. Ask for CoRE Bldg. (behind Hill Center, on Busch Campus)
Otherwise, two blocks behind station are Campus Bus Services. ("Behind" is a bit confusing; ask a student where to catch a campus bus.)
Contact: Amtrak: 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) in US or Canada (Use an international travel agent from other places.) Cost between New York and New Brunswick is $18.00 one-way.
Contact: New Jersey Transit - 1-800-772-2222. NJ Transit is more frequent. Cost (NJ Transit in 1995): $7.75 one-way and $11.50 round-trip. Trains run from about 4:00 am to midnight, every half-hour on weekdays and hourly on weekends.
From Philadelphia:

From 30th Street Station in Philadelphia, use SEPTA train to Trenton, NJ; transfer to NJ Transit and proceed as above. Amtrak is a costlier option.
BY BUS:

From New York City, Port Authority.

Suburban Transit Bus Lines. Call: 908-249-1100.
Buses leave from Port Authority gate #420 every half hour up to 11:00 PM; last bus at 1:00 AM.
Buses arrive at the New Brunswick train station; proceed by taxi or campus bus as above.
From New Brunswick, buses depart on the quarter hour from the railroad station.
Cost (mid 996): $5.30 per person one-way, $10.35 round-trip.
File is: /dimacs/u3/WWW/Public/Directions/Directions1.html

Or: Rutgers directions

Congrats on your hundredth. Pilotnut will be sending the fruit basket this week, no doubt
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue May 20, 2008 3:26 pm

Congrats NP - you're now a "Bench Warmer". Enjoy it. It takes 200 more posts for your next promotion!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

(If you do go see those road games, we expect full game reports!)
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down