Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tribune: Rev on Recruit Campbell; Sims and Tinsley

4 posters

Go down

Tribune: Rev on Recruit Campbell; Sims and Tinsley Empty Tribune: Rev on Recruit Campbell; Sims and Tinsley

Post by wrv Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:45 am

At least Reveno thinks Campbell might well impact the fortunes of the Pilots . . .I assume that is whether he is here or not? In any event nice mention of the potential of Campbell:

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=120881295324670500

Go Pilots!

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Tribune: Rev on Recruit Campbell; Sims and Tinsley Empty Re: Tribune: Rev on Recruit Campbell; Sims and Tinsley

Post by Stonehouse Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:13 am

Beat me to it, wrv! Here is the article in full, since the Tribune website was freaking out this morning and is still going really slowly:

He may not be the second coming of Pooh Jeter, but new University of Portland basketball signee T.J. Campbell will help the Pilots.

“He could be very good for us, but it’s not like he’s an elite player yet,” coach Eric Reveno says of the 5-9 Campbell, from Glendale Community College (Ariz.). Reveno says Campbell and junior-to-be Taishi Ito will give the Pilots “a good 1-2 punch” at point guard.

Campbell “provides us with perimeter athleticism and quickness at point guard –different from what we’ve had,” Reveno says. “He can dunk easily. He can do some things, like break down people off the dribble and get up and defend. It gives us another dimension. He really solidifies us in terms of skill sets.”

Campbell averaged 16.3 points, 5.2 assists and 2.7 steals last season. He shot .495 percent from the field, .453 on 3-pointers and .872 at the free-throw line. ”He’s a proven scorer,” Reveno says.

Reveno went shopping for an athletic perimeter player, and “we could have got a big wing, really athletic, but we went with the better player.”

Campbell joins 6-5 guard Nemanja Mitrovic from Toronto as UP newcomers. The Pilots graduate just one player from the 2007-08 roster and will return 12 lettermen and four starters.

Interesting to hear that we could have had a big, athletic wing. That is a need area for us position-wise, but I think the right decision was made - we need to increase our talent level wherever we can, and getting an athletic PG was a big need too.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Tribune: Rev on Recruit Campbell; Sims and Tinsley Empty Re: Tribune: Rev on Recruit Campbell; Sims and Tinsley

Post by wrv Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:26 am

Which brings up an interesting point about ethics and the current Pilot version of them in action. No doubt you are familiar with what is going on at Santa Clara, where three players have left the program, apparently because the coach has made clear there will be no playing time for them--the action appears to be that of a coach pushing his players out the door, even if he has not actually withdrawn a scholarship.

In Pilotville we have at least two players who remain on the roster, with little to not prospect of being contributors next year. Could we have used a big athletic wing--is the Pope still Catholic? Yet Reveno resists temptation and accordingly has no extra scholarship to give.

It is almost painful to think of our record in the last few years and yet to see the coach continuing in an unwavering ethical manner. His priorities are right and his conduct exemplary. I hope the best for the squad evenwithout the athletic wing.

Go Pilots!

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:51 am

That does bring up an interesting topic, wrv. One thing I think we can take to the bank with Reveno is that he has very high ethical standards and respect for the rules and the process.

Now, does that mean we wouldn't take a big-time recruit like a Brad Tinsley or Garrett Sim if they fell into our laps? No... I think if a situation like that comes up, you have to do what's best for the program.

But I definitely don't think Rev is the type of guy that would push out guys just because he didn't recruit them or they didn't exactly fit, etc. I'm surprised at Lattimer and Gunderson being pushed out by Keating... both of them contributed this year, and I think Gunderson led the WCC in three point shooting for a pretty long time. Ditto for Gurganious at Gonzaga - the guy has had some bad luck with injuries and seems to be an energetic guy off the bench. Kind of strange, but probably there's more to it.

We're lucky to have a guy like Reveno.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:54 am

hopefully we have him, that stuff about stanford is kind of scaring me now.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:05 am

I hear ya, pp13. Me too.

But at this point I haven't seen or read anything that makes me think he's a front runner, so I'm not too too worried yet. Yes, it's uncomfortable to see his name bandied about, but it's natural since he played there and coached there for so long and was responsible for recruiting like the Lopez and Collins twins, Curtis Borchardt, Mark Madsen, etc.

But like I said, if they do decide to offer him the job, I would be happy for him, as it is likely his dream job.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:31 pm

As for Reveno being hired by Stanford, history is on our side.
No Pilot basketball coach has ever been hired away from us.
Of course there is always the first time.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down