Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Refs Last Night

+4
PilotDrummer
navigator
Geezaldinho
Stonehouse
8 posters

Go down

The Refs Last Night Empty The Refs Last Night

Post by Stonehouse Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:37 am

By the way... the refs sucked last night. They called WAY too many ticky tack offensive fouls and loose ball fouls, and the game just had no flow to it because they weren't letting them play. And it was against both teams too, though looking at the free throw differential it was more against us than them - SCU was 25-36 from the line, we were 10-14. But still, both coaches were really frustrated and I even heard the crowd booing when they called some fouls on Santa Clara in the first half.

WCC officials.... when will it finally get better?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

The Refs Last Night Empty Re: The Refs Last Night

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:44 pm

It wasn't just that they called too many fouls that had everyone upset, it was that they weren't very consistent.

And this is as good a time as any to mention it - SCU bigs are aparently taught to lean into people on shots to draw fouls, and the refs are falling for it. Bryant even put his arm on Jasonn's shoulder to pull past him on one play - Jasonn got called for blocking.

Oh yeah-- Has Bryant EVER set as pick without moving his feet? What happened to the rule that said you had to stand still?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:02 pm

How about the kicked ball right in front of the ref, and he brain freezes! I think the refs are ready for the season to end. Very shaky job.

Back to top Go down

Post by navigator Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:08 pm

Which kicked ball? The fast break ending in a foul with a ref conceding to Raveno that he blew the kicked ball call. Then there was the one "steal" from Ito that the guy was called out of bounds or travel. The baseline ref signaled the other that it was actually a kicked ball.
I guess it was reffing 101 last night.
The big guy for SC was getting the touch fouls on UP, UP definitely weren't getting the same calls as the fouls were 10-5 at one point in the second half.

I liked the way Rav was using his body language to get his point across the the refs, not that it did any good.
navigator
navigator
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:30 am

I thought it was interesting...Saturday night seemed normal, in terms of officiating (read: crappy). I thought the Gonzaga game had some of the best calls I'd seen at a Pilot game in a while - usually we can't ever get calls to go our way. Seeing Few whining like a baby was kinda nice too when I'm 6 feet away...
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:51 pm

The problem is, I think they might start the game wanting to call it tight, but then either the officials realize how many calls they will be making, or the players don't adjust the way the officials think they will.

On a related note, the WCC must have told the guy working the GU-St. Mary's game to let the Bulldogs get the win this time to improve their tournament resume.... Rolling Eyes
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by SCUfan Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:06 pm

The future looks brighter for the Pilots. They played Santa Clara tough both games. The problem is every school is starting to put a greater emphasis on winning in the WCC - UP, SCU, USD, St Mary's. Hopefully the level of play will be raised and produce some quality OOC wins to make it 2-3 team field in the tourny every year. I'll be pulling for USD tonight. Would love to see 3 in this year. Now if we could only get one of those to be SCU or UP soon.
SCUfan
SCUfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:38 pm

I guess the WCC Tournament game with Pepperdine must have turned everyone off, and I feel the same
What a poor effort. twenty turnovers, for get the shooting ave. but it had to be poor also. No points from Ito, Stohl or Sikma ? Hoe could that happen from the last two ?
I'm not sure that if we had three or so scholarships to give that we could plug all the holes. By tournament time our freshmen were no longer freshmen and should have been doing better. You have to give Hannibal credit. He at least had two buckets.
There iis a tremendous amount of work to do still. Lets hope they are starting to work on it by now.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:58 pm

weight room, please
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by navigator Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:31 pm

The freshmen didn't get a lot of playing time. And I think the emphasis was to pound the ball inside. I would have thought with P being down so many players they would have run the court and wear them down.
navigator
navigator
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-11-03

Back to top Go down