Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bringing Back Porter

+21
pilots#1
SpikeHoops
VillaGorilla
The Wingman
JimmAlacki
lomiton
blacksheep
optimist
bullwinkle
Woodless 2.0
SoCal_Pilot
Dean Murdoch
ExpatPilot
dholcombe
StudentPilot
NoPoNeighbor
bobtcat2
mikemac65
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
wrv
25 posters

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Bringing Back Porter - Page 7 Empty Re: Bringing Back Porter

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:00 pm

This probably deserves its own thread at this point, but after tonight's games the NBA will be shutting-down UFN as protection against COVID-19 and the president has banned travelers from Europe.

Also, a buddy who's in Las Vegas for the Pac-12 Tournament, complained to me that the MGM Grand Buffet has been shut-down, and he's heard that at least 6 more have shut down as well.  

As I recall there's an In-and-Out across I-15 from the T-Mobile Arena, so I think everyone should be okay...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:17 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:As I recall there's an In-and-Out across I-15 from the T-Mobile Arena, so I think everyone should be okay...

Yup, as long as you don't mind a long wait.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:51 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Also, a buddy who's in Las Vegas for the Pac-12 Tournament, complained to me that the MGM Grand Buffet has been shut-down, and he's heard that at least 6 more have shut down as well.  
The same friend who was complaining about the buffets closing was attending Pac-12 games today at T-Mobile Arena, and now tells me he received a text telling him that fans will not be allowed to enter the arena for the rest of the tournament...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:55 pm

Glad the WCC tourney finished before we got this far. Hope no one who attended becomes ill.

I also enjoyed the buffet breakfast every day I was there, and the Pilot pre-game functions. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodless 2.0 Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:25 pm

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28893285/ncaa-tournaments-canceled-coronavirus

Now we definitely don't have enough money to buy Porter out.
Woodless 2.0
Woodless 2.0
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2015-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:12 pm

A lot of my time just got freed up, with no March Madness.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:10 pm

I doubt that Porter's post season meeting with Leykam has been cancelled because of the pandemic. Interesting that there has been no immediate word of anything, change or otherwise.

Canzano suggests a humane resolution, other than a third party coming to the rescue, not sure what that is.

Hoping for good news.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:05 pm

Woodless 2.0 wrote:https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28893285/ncaa-tournaments-canceled-coronavirus

Imagine what this does to the Zags budget.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:17 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
Woodless 2.0 wrote:https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28893285/ncaa-tournaments-canceled-coronavirus

Imagine what this does to the Zags budget.

Cut back on caviar on the private jet?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:27 pm

Some discussion of various impacts:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28893468/what-know-know-ncaa-tournament-cancellations

More seriously, the WCC would of had 3 representatives to the NCAA tournament, so that's a pretty big hit to the conference.

Might be a good hit on ViacomCBS, as they've already committed to paying the NCAA, and now have no ad revenue opportunities to sell.

Did Coach Meek's contract have an incentive for making the tournament?  He should still get it, if so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:33 pm

wrv wrote:I doubt that Porter's post season meeting with Leykam has been cancelled because of the pandemic. Interesting that there has been no immediate word of anything, change or otherwise.

It it’s anything at UP like it is here, I would say that close to 100% of AD Scott’s day has been dealing with how best to proceed given this outbreak. I would very much think that any “meeting” would have been delayed because of this.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:51 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:It it’s anything at UP like it is here, I would say that close to 100% of AD Scott’s day has been dealing with how best to proceed given this outbreak. I would very much think that any “meeting” would have been delayed because of this.
You are correct...all on-campus efforts by staff and faculty have been aimed at establishing and implementing procedures to fight the COVID-19 outbreak.

If there is to be a meeting between the coaching staff and the AD, I doubt it will happen this week...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:18 pm

up7587 wrote:A lot of my time just got freed up, with no March Madness.
You're not alone...I'm feeling adrift without my basketball fix...just glad I have a paddle.

Bringing Back Porter - Page 7 Tenor10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:23 pm

Roller derby hasn’t cancelled yet...

And sports center is doing what if brackets.

Talk about navel contemplating.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:11 pm

Virtual sports? So some kids should just play EA Sports, ESPN can broadcast it, and we can make brackets, and watch it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:23 pm

up7587 wrote:

Cut back on caviar on the private jet?

The Gonzaga AD expressed his concern for  the safety of student athletes and fans during the global pandemic that has already killed 4700+ people by expressing dismay that both the men’s and women’s teams lost a chance to host in $pokane.
So unfair to the um... players.
He and Mark few want the tourney postponed, not cancelled.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:19 am

I can’t remember which poster in here was at Providence when Pitino was there. But it sure looks like he might be back in college hoops sometime soon.... and these aren’t exactly high major schools in the mix here.

@CBB_Central wrote: Iona, UIC, and Grand Canyon all have opened in the last 24 hours. Rick Pitino has been mentioned at two of them. All three are good mid-major jobs. It’s officially coaching search SZN!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:51 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:
@CBB_Central wrote: Iona, UIC, and Grand Canyon all have opened in the last 24 hours. Rick Pitino has been mentioned at two of them. All three are good mid-major jobs. It’s officially coaching search SZN!

All schools referenced apparently had the resources to go in a different direction and were able to deal with a needed change in their basketball leadership despite the chaos of the pandemic.

Another poster used the phrase "business as usual" in describing current affairs for men's basketball.

I hope he is not right.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmAlacki Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:06 pm

[quote="Dean Murdoch"]I can’t remember which poster in here was at Providence when Pitino was there. But it sure looks like he might be back in college hoops sometime soon.... and these aren’t exactly high major schools in the mix here.

You rang?

Slick Rick is probably interested in getting back in US coaching. If these schools are really interested in Pitino, UP should show an interest. Pitino is 67 and the chances that he would eventually be lured away by an NBA or NCAA top program would be slim. Pitino arrived at Providence and took a team that was 11-20 and went 17-14 his first year and brought Providence to the Final Four his second and final year.

If UP ever got Pitino he would have UP competitive immediately. Pitino picked up a lot of baggage at Louisville and the question would be if the UP administration rolls the dice. UP would get instant publicity but I don't think UP will try.

UP would play a highly entertaining and exciting style under Pitino

JimmAlacki
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2019-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:51 pm

JimmAlacki wrote:
If UP ever got Pitino he would have UP competitive immediately. Pitino picked up a lot of baggage at Louisville and the question would be if the UP administration rolls the dice. UP would get instant publicity but I don't think UP will try.

UP would play a highly entertaining and exciting style under Pitino

This is EXACTLY the type of bold proven strategy that has all the potential to accelerate a rapid turn around.  

But yeah, that's not happening.

If we didn't just live the week we just did, I would be very concerned that the Pilots didn't announce a change and a search.  So fingers crossed for some action next week.

If the school administration is trying to cobble together money to get this done, last week's financial gyrations certainly weren't helpful.

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:20 pm

Just getting a coach who has an actual record of winning  would be a big step. Mike Meek showed this year what someone with actuall winning experience at any level can do.

You don’t need to get Pitino with all his baggage, and I doubt the university is willing to risk the kind of money a program like his would require.  Pitino isn’t coaching now for good reasons. Portland is a Catholic school, so I’m all for forgiveness and redemption, but I’m not sure it’s UP’s job to blow up its budget to  give it to him.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:15 am

lomiton wrote:If the school administration is trying to cobble together money to get this done, last week's financial gyrations certainly weren't helpful.

Are all the students leaving campus getting partial refunds on dorm fees and meal plans?

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:44 am

up7587 wrote:
lomiton wrote:If the school administration is trying to cobble together money to get this done, last week's financial gyrations certainly weren't helpful.

Are all the students leaving campus getting partial refunds on dorm fees and meal plans?
Yes!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:24 am

This web site rates Coach Porter as "not in danger yet".

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:13 pm

Bingo!

It is rumored that a number of boosters interested in a coaching change are having a change-of-heart as they watch their portfolios plummet and their businesses suddenly attract fewer customers.

A somewhat awkward conversation after a chance meeting with one of the assistants this morning revealed they too have no idea what is going on, but would certainly like to know soon so they can move on with their lives.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next