Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2018 Volleyball

+4
Geezaldinho
wrv
ExpatPilot
DoubleDipper
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2018 Volleyball - Page 2 Empty Re: 2018 Volleyball

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:00 am

The perfect preseason is capped off with a 3-1 win over CSUN, first time in program history!
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:00 am

12-0!  Another match won, another tournament title!  The Pilots beat CSUN 3-1 (25-20, 23-25, 25-16, 25-18)!  Way to go Pilots!

Next up: WCC play, which is another step up in difficulty... The Pilots open at home vs. Pepperdine (who also beat CSUN 3-1) on Thursday.

Last edited by PilotNut on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:02 am

12-0

With today’s 3-1 victory over CSUN, our volleyball team has won four tournament titles and finished the non-conference schedule undefeated. They should hopefully be receiving a few more votes in the polls next week.

Their next match opens WCC play at home against Pepperdine on the 20th at 7pm. It would be amazing if these girls had a real good crowd supporting them, because they deserve it.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:03 am

Okay. We are all too excited it seems. Three posts in the first few minutes after the match? Gotta be a Pilot Nation record for volleyball.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:32 am

PILOTS WIN!

The Pilots defeated the Matadors of CSUN in four sets this morning, winning 3-1. Now 12-0 on the season, the confident Pilots go into a very tough WCC schedule undefeated for the first time in program history!

First games are against always tough PU and LMU, but at least UP is at home, finally.

Pilot Club at 6pm on Thursday in the HOF Room and game against PU at 7pm in the Chiles Center.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:45 am

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote: It would be amazing if these girls had a real good crowd supporting them, because they deserve it.

I agree... Look for some extra publicity, marketing, etc. from the U for Thursday evening. I've heard at least one local TV channel is catching wind of this excitement as well...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:46 am

Latest poll is out!

https://www.avca.org/polls/di-women/9-17-2018.html

Pilots receiving more votes than last week... moved up from #41 to #32!

LMU (whom we play this week) checked in at #28 in the receiving votes. BYU is still #1 and San Diego is #24.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:41 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Latest poll is out!

https://www.avca.org/polls/di-women/9-17-2018.html

Pilots receiving more votes than last week... moved up from #41 to #32!

LMU (whom we play this week) checked in at #28 in the receiving votes. BYU is still #1 and San Diego is #24.

I think this makes our matches with Pepperdine and LMU all the more important! We definitely need to get some home court advantage for the LMU game! LMU's only loss came to a then-ranked #24 Cal Poly 3-2. The Lions have beaten Auburn and Kansas which impresses me. Common opponents for Pepperdine are Idaho (which they dropped a set to and we swept 3-0) and CSUN (both 3-1 victories).

We run into the gauntlet and will get to see if we really match up with the best in the following week when we visit #24 San Diego and #1 BYU in that order. Right now, I am being thankful for matching up with San Diego first. Shocked

Marketing and students, if you are paying attention, the time is now.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:24 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:Marketing and students, if you are paying attention, the time is now.
Spoke with Coach Baxter yesterday and explained I know very little about volleyball except the adage, "don't let it hit the floor on your side of the net."  And he said, "Then you already know the first thing we instill in our players!"

But for those of you who want to learn more from Coach Baxter, Thursday at 6pm come to the Pilot Club in the HOF Room before the 7pm game against PU, and sometime during the hour Jeff will give us a "chalk-talk" and answer questions.

If you are not a Pilot Club member, latch on to someone who is as they enter and go as their guest....we're allowed quite a few.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:06 pm

The Marketing Department has very much been paying attention...  here are a few items cooking this week:

- KOIN TV is coming out Tuesday to do a feature on the program
- Coach Baxter and Reghan Pukis will be the featured guest on KATU’s Afternoon Live program on Wednesday
- Portland Tribune interviews/story running this week
- Portland Tribune Front Page Advertisements in the Tuesday/Thursday print editions, as well as web banner ads throughout the week
- The U has done a ton of outreach to local youth/CYO clubs and will have Coach Baxter on the Catholic Radio Station (KBVM) on Wednesday
- Autograph zones following both matches and we have band/dance team coming out on Thursday
- Pilot Club Pregame in the HOF Room with Coach Baxter coming for a Chalk Talk
- Match broadcast is being picked up on SlingTV
- Student raffle which will include apple product giveaway

It sounds like they are trying to get 1,000 fans on Thursday... This is really exciting!!  bounce

Edit: Adding ticket information:

For Thursday and Saturday matches, UP is offering free tickets for all kids (17 and under) using Promo Code ‘VBCLUB’, while adult tickets are only $6. Here is the volleyball tickets page: LINK

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:48 pm

John Tawa wrote:The 2018 nonconference schedule is in the books for the vast majority of Division I teams and a total of six have yet to taste defeat. Five of the six are blueblood programs that appeared in the NCAA tournament a year ago.

The sixth unbeaten team?

None other than the University of Portland (12-0), which not only has never been to the tournament but, since joining Division I full-time more than 30 years ago, has neither finished a season more than four matches above .500 nor with more than 17 wins!
https://prepvolleyball.com/articles/college-articles/university-of-portland-not-on-auto-pilot-after-12-0-start/408529
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:06 am

https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/406681-304231-pilots-face-the-challenge

https://katu.com/afternoon-live/special-guests/u-of-p-pilots-girls-volleyball
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:38 am

What a great interview... I am very happy to have those 2 representing the program and UP on TV!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:55 pm

Pilots swept by Pepperdine. Oof. Waves seemed to dominate the whole game, Pilots had small glimpses of hope but no comebacks.

Minus BYU, the first day of WCC action was one for the underdogs:
- Gonzaga swept Loyola Marymount
- Saint Mary's outlasted San Diego in five sets on the road
- San Fransisco beat Santa Clara to get their first conference win since 2015
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:14 pm

It was an excellent, noisy atmosphere in the Chiles Center with the Christie Crazies providing the "organized" fun , and the pep band and dance team seeming in mid-season form, but PU was just too tall (11 players over 6', including two at 6-4 and one at 6-5) and too athletic for UP.

UP did make some good runs/rallies in the first couple of sets, but never led on the evening. I thought the Pilots played well, but were simply beaten by a better team.

It won't get much easier Saturday at noon against LMU, but they were beaten by GU tonight.  Next week it's back on the road against #24 USD and #1 BYU, so UP will need our support again on Saturday.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:06 pm

Certainly not the result we had hoped for. I was able to watch the first set and felt that Pepperdine were truly the better team. My fear going into the WCC season was, and still is, just that our conference is very tough when it comes to volleyball.

It does make me happy to hear that the atmosphere in Chiles was good for the match! Hopefully, the one loss does not scare anyone off! I completely agree that the girls still need the support against LMU.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:50 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:Certainly not the result we had hoped for. I was able to watch the first set and felt that Pepperdine were truly the better team. My fear going into the WCC season was, and still is, just that our conference is very tough when it comes to volleyball.

It does make me happy to hear that the atmosphere in Chiles was good for the match! Hopefully, the one loss does not scare anyone off! I completely agree that the girls still need the support against LMU.

Definitely was a good environment there... lots of students! And special shout out to all the student-athletes who came and supported too... I saw men's BB, women's BB, men's XC, women's XC, and I'm sure there were plenty more.

It also looked like some of the local high school volleyball teams were there, which was good to see.

Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:54 am

Let's hope the support continues today, as this team is entertaining to watch!! I will certainly be in attendance again when back in town!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:27 pm

That was heartbreaking.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Tough, tough loss against LMU. We lost the first two sets, won the next two, and then lost the 5th in nail-biting fashion. First-set loss was close, 25-22; LMU exploited our weakness defending tips over and over during that set--and then sporadically through the rest of the match. In the fifth set, we were up midway through, but couldn't close it out.

What was perhaps the most disappointing to me is that LMU gifted us with a huge number of net violations and service errors--I'm guessing about 30 in total--and we still didn't win.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:18 pm

The Pilots are to be commended for their comeback. LMU took the first two sets and was dominant in the second. It seemed the Pilots would be swept again, but two sets later they were in the match, with a real opportunity to pull out the win.

LMU did commit a number of service errors and was in the net often, but still the Pilots showed grit. LMU's attack was impressive.

Disappointed Pilots did not finish but enjoyed the match particularly for the first volleyball match I have seen in quite some time.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:46 am

After a few seasons building their college volleyball resumes, Seabury Hall graduates Shayla Hoeft and Dylan Hamilton have found their home court in Oregon.

Each in their first season with the University of Portland, they have clearly made a difference for the Pilots.

Hoeft, a 6-foot-2 junior from Kihei, started her college career with a pair of solid seasons at Nevada, including an All-Mountain West Conference honorable mention nod last year, but she has exploded to the forefront for the Pilots this fall.

“Personality-wise, I just decided to find another school and I’m really lucky to have found UP,” Hoeft said.

She was player of the week in the West Coast Conference in late August after being named the Most Valuable Player of the Aztec Invitational.

The middle blocker swooped into the Stan Sheriff Center with the Pilots two weeks ago and put down 16 kills, had eight blocks and hit .536 in a five-set win over Hawaii.

She is hitting .394 overall — highest on the team among the regulars — is second on the team in kills and total points and third in blocking.

The number she cares about the most is 12-0 — the Pilots are off to the best start in school history and are receiving votes in the AVCA coaches poll for the first time ever.

“UP is really very similar to Seabury in the size,” Hoeft said. “Honestly, I really thrived at Seabury with a small class size. I went to Nevada and it was a really large class size, where you were pretty much a number to your professors. Here, it’s very personable — I just really like the school aspect of it. It’s a very prestigious school, so it was a really good choice for me school-wise.

“Then volleyball, I got recruited by them in high school, too. … I immediately knew the culture here when I was being recruited the second time.”

The Portland school record for wins came in 2016, when the Pilots were 17-13. In 2013, they were 0-27.

“I don’t think I’ve ever had so much fun in volleyball,” Hoeft said. “Just learning and owning my process of getting better. It’s been very fun to be in a new environment with new girls. Just really clicking.”

Hoeft has only been playing the sport since the beginning of high school — a former tennis standout, she developed into the Maui Interscholastic League Division II Player of the Year as a senior.

Hoeft watched her best friend, UH beach standout and fellow Seabury alum Amy Ozee, help the Rainbow Wahine finish third in the NCAA tournament last spring.

Hoeft credits several of her former Seabury Hall teammates for pushing her to be better, but none more than Ozee.

“I want to be good because she’s good — we have this best-friend rivalry,” Hoeft said. “It’s probably good that she’s on the beach and I’m mostly indoor, just so we can keep our relationship healthy.”

When the Pilots outlasted UH in Manoa, Hoeft outblocked Hawaii 8-6 by herself.

“It was amazing,” Hoeft said. “As a kid, as a volleyball player in Hawaii, if you don’t dream about going to UH, you dream at least about playing in the Stan (Sheriff Center) and that was just amazing. … That atmosphere is indescribable.”

Hoeft hopes the political science degree she is working on leads her into the non-profit realm, but that may have to wait — she now has realistic thoughts of playing professionally.

“Oh, for sure, that’s like really one of my dreams,” she said. “It’s just incredible to do something you love, like be in new places. Being overseas would be so cool.”

Hamilton, a member of Seabury Hall’s 2010 Division II boys state title team, is in his first y­ear as an assistant coach at Portland. He arrived in March, about a month after Hoeft decided to make the move.

Hamilton will guide Hoeft as Portland’s beach volleyball head coach in the spring. He has worked at Washington in both beach and indoor capacities and most recently was the interim head coach at the Academy of Arts in San Francisco. He was a three-year manager at Washington after transferring there from UH as a sophomore.

“It’s been great — I think I kind of got lucky,” Hamilton said. “I just kind of walked into their office and said, ‘Hey, I’d like to stay involved in Division I volleyball.’ … I had no idea when I walked in there that they were even good at volleyball, much less some of the best. … I took that opportunity and got to learn a lot.”

Hamilton says he sees a bright future for Hoeft.

“Her presence here is definitely felt,” Hamilton said. “I think probably the biggest reason is she’s just an awesome kid. She fits in with our culture really well.”

The most important common bond they share is Seabury Hall coach Scottie Zucco. Hoeft still talks to Zucco on a weekly basis and “I really generally value Dylan’s opinion on things because he really knows volleyball.”

Both know Maui volleyball is in good hands.

“I think we have an amazing culture,” Hoeft said. “We have coaches on Maui who really want to push their kids to just do better in general. It’s amazing to see, just really cool to see volleyball bloom over the years.”

http://www.mauinews.com/sports/local-sports/2018/09/hoeft-finds-home-with-pilots/
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:20 am

I know we are all a little bit down after the poor start to the WCC season, but if it helps anyone feel better to know this: our volleyball team is ranked #56 in the first RPI standings.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:19 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:I know we are all a little bit down after the poor start to the WCC season, but if it helps anyone feel better to know this: our volleyball team is ranked #56 in the first RPI standings.

I think all of us would have been happy with this a few weeks ago... so yes, this is still a great start to the season. The WCC schedule is more favorable with USF and SCU at Chiles this week.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:44 pm

2 sweeps this weekend for the Pilots over USF and SCU to get back on track!

The next 2 matches are back on the road, @UoP and @SMC.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next