Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Kneel or Not to Kneel

5 posters

Go down

To Kneel or Not to Kneel Empty To Kneel or Not to Kneel

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:31 pm

With so many people in so many walks of life taking a knee these days, I'm proud to say it was our own Megan Rapinoe who was likely the first to support Colin Kaepernick just over a year ago, on September 5, 2016.
Megan Rapinoe wrote: "I think it's actually pretty disgusting the way he was treated and the way that a lot of the media has covered it and made it about something that it absolutely isn't. We need to have a more thoughtful, two-sided conversation about racial issues in this country."  

To Kneel or Not to Kneel Megan_11

IMO, it took great fortitude for Colin and Megan to be the first to make this symbolic gesture, and regardless of how one may feel about that gesture, is now up to the rest of us to take meaningful action to ensure all people in the United States are treated fairly and equally....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11095
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

To Kneel or Not to Kneel Empty Re: To Kneel or Not to Kneel

Post by Guest Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:53 pm

Here's a group taking a different stance: http://freebeacon.com/culture/lingerie-football-league-responds-to-nfl-we-stand/

I've never seen them play, but maybe DD has?

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:33 am

For me, it's about being respectful. I don't like it when I see people walking around, talking, on their phones, etc. No matter what you think of current politics, you should pay respect for those who have fought and died for this country.

I don't see taking a knee or sitting quietly on a bench as being disrespectful. I do think there are better ways to protest or to accomplish your goals, but to each their own. I don't really get the protest, but I also don't get why everyone is so worked up about it.

FWIW - I will be standing anytime they play our national anthem.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

To Kneel or Not to Kneel Empty To Kneel or Not To Kneel

Post by bullwinkle Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:18 am

I think Trevor Noah, with a little help from Dr Seuss, have offered the best explanation I've heard for when Blacks can protest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Gx23vH0CE

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:59 am

Thirty-two years ago Jay was a student of mine....he could always say it better than I can.

This from yesterday:
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Wow, I think that's an exhibition of leadership we all crave in America....and a great message!

We've discussed the knee taking protests in many of our classes during the week, and most strongly support the non-violent gestures the NFL players and others are making, but where is the dialogue?  Time and time again the lack of calm and coherent discussion of racial issues was mentioned in class.

Too many who disagree with a another's position shout them down instead of listening to another point of view.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:36 pm

StudentPilot wrote:We've discussed the knee taking protests in many of our classes during the week, and most strongly support the non-violent gestures the NFL players and others are making, but where is the dialogue?  Time and time again the lack of calm and coherent discussion of racial issues was mentioned in class.
Washington Nationals pitcher Sean Doolittle (raised in a military family) had much the same sentiment:
I think my patriotism is strong enough to not be offended when somebody takes a knee during the anthem. That's not something I take personally. It's something that makes me want to reach out to that person and have a conversation with them and say, let's talk about some of these issues. Tell me about certain things that have caused you to take such a stand.  
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:00 pm

I wasn't going to burn my Nike gear, but this guy makes some good points!

blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:50 am

blacksheep wrote:I don't see taking a knee or sitting quietly on a bench as being disrespectful.  I do think there are better ways to protest or to accomplish your goals, but to each their own.  I don't really get the protest, but I also don't get why everyone is so worked up about it.

I know it's been a year since you posted it, but you summed up my thoughts on this topic quite nicely.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum