Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homebrew Event

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Homebrew Event - Page 2 Empty Re: Homebrew Event

Post by PilotNut Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:50 am

I would love to attend, however I am out of town.... this week is always the annual family lake gathering so i miss both brew fests every year!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:07 pm

and the winner was . . . ?

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:56 am

up7587 wrote:and the winner was . . . ?
What, you didn't stick around until the end?

I think you'll agree that all who attended were winners, as we had 10 really good beers to drink, plenty of good food to eat, and lots to talk about among the approximately 130 people in attendance.

I really don't recall who all the popular and judged winners were, but in addition to an overall winner, there were also winners based upon the category in which the beers were grouped....

A Helles beer (a pale lager) called "Schnuller," seemed to be very popular, and I understand the person that presented it has brewed it "at least 100 times," so quite a bit of experience was behind this brew that debuted yesterday about an hour after the fest started.  Smart marketing, perhaps?

I do recall the best Stout (and my popular choice) was "Bourbon Barrel Stout," and the best IPA was "Portland Hop-star IPA."  It was a little too fruity for my taste, as I preferred the IPA that went home without any awards, "Bad Influence Double IPA."

Due to the fun and popularity of this event, no doubt there will be a 4th Annual UP Brewers Fest next year.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11095
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:44 pm

No, I arrived early, so I bailed out before the awards. I liked most of the ones you noted.

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:15 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:and the winner was . . . ?
What, you didn't stick around until the end?

I think you'll agree that all who attended were winners, as we had 10 really good beers to drink, plenty of good food to eat, and lots to talk about among the approximately 130 people in attendance.

I really don't recall who all the popular and judged winners were, but in addition to an overall winner, there were also winners based upon the category in which the beers were grouped....

A Helles beer (a pale lager) called "Schnuller," seemed to be very popular, and I understand the person that presented it has brewed it "at least 100 times," so quite a bit of experience was behind this brew that debuted yesterday about an hour after the fest started.  Smart marketing, perhaps?

I do recall the best Stout (and my popular choice) was "Bourbon Barrel Stout," and the best IPA was "Portland Hop-star IPA."  It was a little too fruity for my taste, as I preferred the IPA that went home without any awards, "Bad Influence Double IPA."

Due to the fun and popularity of this event, no doubt there will be a 4th Annual UP Brewers Fest next year.

My Bourbon Barrel Stout won the best stout (there were only two) Hop star won both the fan favorite and the overall win from the judges. I really like my double IPA, but its a very polarizing beer for this type of event. Either it's or thing and you like it, or it's not and you hate it. The Hop star better fits within most people's beer tastes.

Again it was a great event. With the lower number of brewers (one brewer signed up and had a family thing come up and another's beer didn't turn out well enough to enter), I took home much less beer. My IPA Keg only had a couple beers left and my Stout only had a little more.

For any homebrewer thinking of entering, you really should. My beers last year really weren't that good and the feedback I got has greatly improved my quality. I spent some time talking with one of the judges this year and he gave me some great feedback. I already have some ideas about why my IPA wasn't as good as it could have been, so it will be interesting to get the reports from the judges to see what they have to say.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:12 pm

The feedback is an interesting aspect of the event that I had not thought about... that is great for learning. Who were the judges?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:48 pm

I'm not sure who all the judges were, but the guy who I talked to is the owner of Funhouse Brews in Kenton.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2