Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do we go from here?

+31
PDX
pilotfan4life
Rochin54
Rob's Jacket
The Wingman
deprofundis
pilotdad1
2002Pilot
Urika
newpilotfan
jumpstop
piloted
KTodd
mikemac65
upbasketball544
Oldfan
blacksheep
Stonehouse
DTLegend
Woodless 2.0
bullwinkle
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
NoPoNeighbor
PilotNut
pilotram
Dean Murdoch
SoCalPilot
wrv
DoubleDipper
ExpatPilot
35 posters

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Where do we go from here? - Page 9 Empty Re: Where do we go from here?

Post by blacksheep Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:42 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
wrv wrote:If Lavin and Rambis are going to pull those kind of salaries, Few and Bennett may need a raise.
For sure!

Last I read, Coach Few salary was around $1.2, and I have never heard Bennett's salary after it was renegotiated last year.  

I think Bennett signed for something less than $400K a year for 10 years in 2011, but in 2015 he renegotiated another six year contract....someone will give us a figure. tongue

I would love to see UP do something like a $400K base with big incentives for good records, WCC wins, and tournament wins. Let's reward success!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:03 am

So I have some mixed thoughts on Terry Porter. Yes he has been a great ambasador for the Portland community, and he is a big name who could potentially use his name to recruit, but I have some questions about how much success he could bring to the Bluff. Now if they hire Porter I hope I'm wrong, I'm just concerned about his coaching resume.

We got rid of a coach who everyone agrees was high character, extremely likable, did everything the right way type of person but failed to get it done on the court. How is Terry Porter going to get this team to compete on a regular basis? Every head coaching job he has had has not gone well, what makes us think that things could be different at Portland?

It would be awesome to have a big name lead our program, but I just want to make sure that turing this program into a contender is the top priority, and make sure we get the right guy, with the right attitude, who understands that challenges that lay ahead. Again if we go with Porter I hope I he proves me wrong.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:27 am

DTLegend wrote:Every head coaching job he has had has not gone well, what makes us think that things could be different at Portland?

I looked up what happened in Phoenix - http://espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3910443 - seems like his defensive style of coaching wasn't a good fit with a Suns roster that included Nash and Shaq?

I don't really have an opinion one way or another. Not from the Portland area, so Terry Porter wasn't overly familiar to me when I first saw his name dropped as a possible candidate for the job.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:25 am

Terry Cahill wrote:I don't really have an opinion one way or another. Not from the Portland area, so Terry Porter wasn't overly familiar to me when I first saw his name dropped as a possible candidate for the job.
As I am not an NBA or Blazers fan, I know virtually nothing about the man except for recently learning he has a beer named after him.

Kind of embarrassed to admit that when I saw him at a gathering in Las Vegas earlier this month, I had to ask who he was....and ended up getting a lot of "you don't know Terry Porter!!??" explanations.

So I too have no real opinion about the man, just the knowledge that former NBA/Blazer players do not have an especially good track record at UP with regard to the STUDENT side of student-athlete....and they have very expensive suits. Admittedly, it is a very small sample....Steele and Holton.

I'm sure that whomever UP selects, we will all welcome him warmly and expect more wins than losses......
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:13 pm

Former NBA players can be good coaches. The current coach at Utah is ex NBA, as is Romar at Washington, Alford too.

http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/news/nba-players-make-winning-coaches

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:04 pm

Stanford didn't waste any time replacing Dawkins....today they introduced former UAB coach, Jerod Haase as the new coach.

Haase was the USA Conference Coach of the Year this year and led the Blazers to the regular season title with a 26-5 record.

Haase has the pedigree: 3 years at Kansas and 9 years at North Carolina as an assistant before being hired at UAB in 2012.

This sounds familiar, in a news release, Haase said, "We will compete for championships by doing it the right way and graduating young men who will go on to accomplish great things in the world."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:41 pm

Regarding Porter, coaching college and students and coaching NBA millionaires are two very different things. I wouldn't take too much of his NBA results to project college results. I believe a critical aspect of success for the new coach is who he brings in as his assistants. They need to be dynamic teachers and recruiters.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:34 pm

Each passing day implies that the U is either stiff arming Porter and/or their are other candidates they prefer or possibly that Porter is hesitant to take the job.

Stanford no doubt had the same considerations that caused delay in hiring their new coach, but once they settled on a candidate they hired him.

Given that we are at this moment nearly two weeks in to the great secretive consultation and process taking place behind the curtain, it is harder and harder to believe that if they wanted Porter or Porter wanted the job that the U would not have moved more quickly, an impeccable source notwithstanding. Porter fans should not hold their collective breath.

But of course being logical, probably correct, does not mean it is so.

OSU did not hire Porter though he was clearly a candidate for that job as well.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:27 pm

I was hoping to hear something before the 4 day weekend for the U began yesterday. I doubt we'll hear anything before Tuesday.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:40 pm

dholcombe wrote:I was hoping to hear something before the 4 day weekend for the U began yesterday. I doubt we'll hear anything before Tuesday.

Could happen.

Only 27 more committee meetings to go....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfan Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:21 pm

Speculations are running wild. Perhaps a big surprise is in store.

Oldfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2016-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:23 pm

I was just looking at the EADA database which lists revenues and expenses per team.

Gonzaga's season expenses are a bit over  1.7 million, not including coaching salaries. With 17 players, that's about $104K per player.

UP's is listed at $433k, something around $31k per player.

The Gonzaga Women's team is listed at $799K, or $42k per player.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:04 am

DoubleDipper wrote:As I am not an NBA or Blazers fan, I know virtually nothing about the man except for recently learning he has a beer named after him.
But tonight (Friday) I learned that Terry Porter is "one of the nicest guys I've ever met."

That was the statement of a flight attendant who was working in the first class cabin where Terry Porter was seated while flying from Palm Springs to Portland Friday.  The F/A went onto say "I've flown with a great number of 'personalities,' including professional athletes, and Porter was by far the friendliest, most engaging man I've ever flown with."

That's quite an endorsement from someone who literally meets hundreds of people every day.....and it came totally out of the blue without any prompting from me or knowledge that Porter was being mentioned for the UP coaching job.

(Probably just a coincidence the Chairman of the UP Board of Regents lives in Southern California, and the UP administration often convenes with board members in the Palm Spring area...... Suspect   )
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:51 am

Geezaldinho wrote:I was just looking at the EADA database which lists revenues and expenses per team.

Gonzaga's season expenses are a bit over  1.7 million, not including coaching salaries. With 17 players, that's about $104K per player.

UP's is listed at $433k, something around $31k per player.

The Gonzaga Women's team is listed at $799K, or $42k per player.

I really do believe that we ought to consider creating an endowed basketball fund to help the team. I think I am technically living close to the poverty line right now, but I would donate. Right now the Pilot Club is, I think, the only athletic fund you can donate to unless you specify where you want your money to go.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:44 am

Finally some real news! A former NBA head coach with Trail Blazers connections was hired! ... by Tulane.

Former NBA coach Mike Dunleavy Sr. agrees to take Tulane job

As DD reported above, Stanford hired UAB's coach, Jarod Haase. I wonder if Reveno will be in the running for an assistant spot.

Last edited by NoPoNeighbor on Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Failed to credit DD's earlier reporting on Stanford's new coach.)

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:11 pm

UGAPilot wrote:

I really do believe that we ought to consider creating an endowed basketball fund to help the team. I think I am technically living close to the poverty line right now, but I would donate. Right now the Pilot Club is, I think, the only athletic fund you can donate to unless you specify where you want your money to go.

Just send a check and note where you want it to go.
You"ll get a thank you from the coach, assuming we get one.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:38 pm

UGAPilot wrote:I really do believe that we ought to consider creating an endowed basketball fund to help the team. I think I am technically living close to the poverty line right now, but I would donate.
There may be a number of readers of this board who would know if there is already an established endowment specifically for MBB, but on the off chance they choose not to post here, let me make some inquires and see what I can learn.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:45 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:There may be a number of readers of this board who would know if there is already an established endowment specifically for MBB, but on the off chance they choose not to post here, let me make some inquires and see what I can learn.

Ha ha, calling me out?  Wink

As far as I know, no there is not one. However, I *think* that there might be some basketball scholarships that are at least partially endowed. (Honestly though, I'm not 100% sure on that - they may just be annual gifts from very generous donors rather than an endowment.) If there are indeed some endowed scholarships set up, I'm sure UP would welcome additional gifts to them.

I do know for sure that according to UP's donation policies, a fund of $50,000 is required to establish an endowment. That is to say, people can definitely start building an endowment at a level lower than $50,000, but it won't be invested and start paying out until it is over that amount.

Pilot Club/Pilot Athletic Fund donations are not ear-marked for any specific sport and are allocated as the athletic director sees fit. (This is why some sports do their own additional fundraising events, like baseball's golf open and Diamond Dinner.) However, if anyone would like to give directly to the basketball program, I'm sure that money would be happily accepted and put to good use by the coaching staff.

Speaking a bit more broadly, however, I think it's also worth considering how general institutional spending can have a great impact on the basketball program too. UP is in a *much* better place now to recruit and retain student-athletes than it was even just a few years ago. The new Recreation & Wellness Center is stunning, and a huge piece that was missing. The upgraded Pilot House, Commons, Library, and Engineering Building are on par with any college. Fields and Schoenfeldt Halls are beautiful new dorms, and another large new dorm will be opening this August.

And just wait until the new Dundon-Berchtold Academic Center breaks ground - that building is going to be an absolute showpiece. (More info: http://up.edu/news/showNews.aspx?id=5226)

When I was a student, UP definitely had the feel of a scrappy underdog. Maybe we didn't have the nicest facilities around campus, but we had a lot of heart and a great community. With the exception of a few places (Buckley Center top of the list), UP most definitely does not feel like a scrappy underdog anymore... now we have the campus facilities to match the heart and great community.

I guess what I'm saying is this: yes, of course the basketball program would gladly accept designated funds from an endowment or otherwise, and I have full confidence whoever the head coach is would use that money appropriately and effectively. I think it's definitely an idea worth exploring. But it's important to remember that improving the institution as a whole - yes, even on things like libraries and classrooms and dorms - is indeed a rising tide that lifts all boats.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:14 pm

When I signed up for the Pilot Club, I checked a box to have the funds directed to the basketball program. I don't know how much difference it makes because I assume most Pilot Club donations are general donations.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:52 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Ha ha, calling me out?  Wink
Yes, indeed, I was calling you or Shadrach out!!

I just don't see any grass-roots campaign at our level that could raise the $50K required to endow a scholarship.  My fraternity, Upsilon Omega Pi, has an endowed scholarship that took us over 3 years to get funded, and even then we only made it under the wire because UP "grandfathered" the old requirement of "only" $25K, the dollar amount that was required when we began our fund raising.

I do appreciate Stoney pointing out how the campus is now a much better place to recruit to with the additions and improvements that began during Fr. Bill's tenure.  One of the existing big irritants to recruits is the 2-person dorm room that must accommodate 3 students....but that will go away when the new dorm opens next school year.  The other recruiting speed-bumps are 1. Lack of campus/city diversity; 2. No special treatment of student-athletes, and 3. Rigorous classes and majors that do not include physical education or similar career paths.

I have asked the university if there is any special funding source or resource for MBB, I'll report back if I learn anything different from Stoney's excellent rundown.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:11 pm

blacksheep wrote:When I signed up for the Pilot Club, I checked a box to have the funds directed to the basketball program. I don't know how much difference it makes because I assume most Pilot Club donations are general donations.

Ah! That might have been a new addition from Scott. I do remember conversations about this issue... I guess I didn't realize that had been implemented.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:21 pm

up7587 wrote:Nick Daschel throws out some names for potential coaches on O-Live: who_is_up_next_as_portland_pilots
Through inference and discussions, I have learned that at least four of the coaches on Daschel's list have been interviewed or approached.

In addition to those four, a well known former head coach we saw in the Chiles Center just a few years ago has also been approached.  Other than that, the only other candidate that I am aware of still has a team playing....today at 3PM, in fact.

I guess we all have differing views of what a "short list" is....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:59 pm

What about Travis DeCuire from Montana? Originally from Washington, more than a half decade as assistant at Cal, pretty good first two years with the Griz.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:31 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:Nick Daschel throws out some names for potential coaches on O-Live: who_is_up_next_as_portland_pilots
Through inference and discussions, I have learned that at least four of the coaches on Daschel's list have been interviewed or approached.

In addition to those four, a well known former head coach we saw in the Chiles Center just a few years ago has also been approached.  Other than that, the only other candidate that I am aware of still has a team playing....today at 3PM, in fact.

I guess we all have differing views of what a "short list" is....

If what DD suggests is accurate it is hard to conclude that the job is Terry Porter’s if he wants it. Maybe, but it surely seems doubtful.

Developments pending . . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:54 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I have learned that at least four of the coaches on Daschel's list have been interviewed or approached.
Mind telling us which ones?

DoubleDipper wrote:In addition to those four, a well known former head coach we saw in the Chiles Center just a few years ago has also been approached.
Dave Rice?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum