Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do we go from here?

+31
PDX
pilotfan4life
Rochin54
Rob's Jacket
The Wingman
deprofundis
pilotdad1
2002Pilot
Urika
newpilotfan
jumpstop
piloted
KTodd
mikemac65
upbasketball544
Oldfan
blacksheep
Stonehouse
DTLegend
Woodless 2.0
bullwinkle
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
NoPoNeighbor
PilotNut
pilotram
Dean Murdoch
SoCalPilot
wrv
DoubleDipper
ExpatPilot
35 posters

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

Where do we go from here? - Page 8 Empty Re: Where do we go from here?

Post by piloted Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:35 pm

intriguing. maybe Logie could be the Scott Reuck equivalent for UP as Rueck was at OSU. Rueck was highly successful at D3 George Fox and then turned OSU into a top 10 program making the jump from D3 to D1.

piloted
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:48 pm

I know Coach Logie and can attest to his success. I played for Whitworth in the late 80's and live very close to the University. Although I wasnt able to attend as many games as I wanted when Ryan was in uniform I get to as many as possible.
Logie is a class act, a great X and O guy and more importantly all his players would stand in front of a bus for him.
Jim Hayford, who was his predacessor, has carved out a nice niche for himself at EWU, winning the Big Sky tournament last year and qualifying for the NCAA dance.
It is possible for a small school coach to make the leap to D1 and perhaps the Pilots need a young up and comer to take the helm.

Another name that I like is Luke Jackson who has done a nice job in the state of Oregon.

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:54 pm

With his background and record, I'm quite sure Coach Logie has had at least a call or two.....

I really don't think UP will be able to hire a better, harder working coach than Rev, but sometimes just a change is what is needed to get a program moving forward again.  

Yes, I too am disappointed the AD has yet to make an announcement (hopefully he's made a decision), because one would think he'd have a specific individual in mind before dismissing Rev. 

I personally am holding out hope the new-hire has not been announced because he's still coaching in one of the alphabet postseason tournaments.  I'm still seeing Columbia coach Kyle Smith's name being thrown around for openings at others schools.....I think he'd be an excellent fit at UP if he even wants the job, but for now his team is in the CIT quarterfinals.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:57 pm

Does everyone else already know about this show? http://www.blogtalkradio.com/portlandpilotsshow/2016/03/22/portland-pilots-show. I wasn't aware of it.

Discussion with Jason Brough about the coaching change.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:38 am

I had no idea the show existed and is a weekly thing year 'round....thanks for pointing it out, up7587.

Nice tribute from Jason to Rev and his staff....it's obvious they've had a close working relationship, but it was also obvious that Jason is a team player and understands that D1 Basketball is a "business" and conference records are important.

The real insight here might have been the mention of some potential UP coaches (without naming names) that could still be playing and some that could be listening to other schools/offers before making a decision.  Also, that the next coach doesn't necessarily have to come with previous head coaching experience.

Hey, I'd nominate Jason for president based on that interview.  Calm, informative, knowledgeable, and a straight talker....best candidate I've heard. Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:54 am

Who can name a successful D3 coach who later became a successful D1 coach?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:55 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Who can name a successful D3 coach who later became a successful D1 coach?

Bo Ryan.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:14 am

Rob's Jacket wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:Who can name a successful D3 coach who later became a successful D1 coach?

Bo Ryan.

Is he available!? Probably not I suppose, his team is still in it. Which gets me thinking.....I hear Mich State fans are pretty pissed about their big upset.....Izzo???
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:20 am

Considering Brough's comments, I would infer that Terry Porter is not among their very top candidates. Terry is available now: the issue with Terry would be money and there is no mention of money holding up the freight train. I am glad to hear Brough comment that knowing what is behind the curtain, candidate wise, would excite most Pilot fans.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:30 am

Rochin54 wrote:
Rob's Jacket wrote:

Bo Ryan.

Is he available!?  Probably not I suppose, his team is still in it.  Which gets me thinking.....I hear Mich State fans are pretty pissed about their big upset.....Izzo???

I guess if Izzo is available, I can get off the Terry Porter band wagon.

In all seriousness, Terry Porter is available, he's interested in the job, so again I ask . . . Why have we not hired him yet?
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by upbasketball544 Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:55 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-to-tell-when-it-s-time-for-a-college-basketball-team-and-its-coach-to-part-ways-051254792.html

"There is no set answer, of course. No readily applicable formula. UCLA has had nine coaches in the past 40 years. Syracuse has had one – and just seven in the 116-year history of the program.

Occasionally it can simply feel like it's time – for the coach, or for the school."

"But sometimes jobs just end, and the coach (or school) have to try something new even with the full awareness that it might not be as good as before. Occasionally, it's just time."

Coach Reveno had a 10year run. "Occasionally it's just time". I hope this weekend allows the process of thoughts and posts on pilotnation to finally turn into positive thinking for what the future could hold. I would encourage the faithful fans to start a new topic......highlighting the pros/cons, and hopes for a new coach.

Where do we go from here?.......hopefully the fans are moving past the firing of Coach Reveno, and looking to how the future can be better! That's where we should be going! The positives of moving forward..............!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the fans choose to support the totality of the basketball program! Which will include the players who choose to stay, and are committed to the vision, and any newcomers. Plus the ability to embrace the new coach and staff! Time for some positive thinking and conversations!

upbasketball544
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2016-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:47 pm

wrv wrote:Considering Brough's comments, I would infer that Terry Porter is not among their very top candidates.
I guess we can all take various inferences from one's comments, but I honestly believe Porter is still very much in the running, but it could be that not even the AD has any idea if there is one candidate rated higher than another at this point because of the mix of qualities the "right" coach must have.

It would seem all candidates on the "short list" must be spoken to in length at this very busy point in the basketball year, and everyone involved must carry out the normal two-way due diligence that goes with hiring the best candidate to a position that is extremely important to the UP community, to include the student-athletes.

With the season winding down to the Final Four it's an exciting time for basketball in general and for UP Basketball in particular....much like LOI signing day.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:02 pm

Rochin54 wrote:
Rob's Jacket wrote:

Bo Ryan.

Is he available!?  Probably not I suppose, his team is still in it.  Which gets me thinking.....I hear Mich State fans are pretty pissed about their big upset.....Izzo???
Um, Bo is available .....he's 68 years-old and retired!   pirat

He hung it up in mid-December this season instead of waiting until the end of the season as he had previously announced.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:10 pm

Just saw that Columbia beat Ball State to go to the CIT semifinals, so the Kyle Smith sweepstakes will have to wait until after the weekend at least...if indeed there are Kyle Smith sweepstakes, as a few reports have suggested there will be.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:59 am

blacksheep wrote:Does UP provide the coach a car as part of the contract? If so, can it be a yellow hummer for Stoudemire? Twisted Evil
Speaking of Stoudemire, UOP's new coach, he revealed yesterday that ESPN is working on a 30 for 30 documentary about the "Jail Blazers" that Stoudemire was so much a part of.  

Coach Stoudemire told 1080 The Fan that, "everyone you will want to hear from will be heard."

Should be interesting watching for UOP AD Dr. Ted Leland and the regents.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:06 am

Terry Cahill wrote:Just saw that Columbia beat Ball State to go to the CIT semifinals, so the Kyle Smith sweepstakes will have to wait until after the weekend at least...if indeed there are Kyle Smith sweepstakes, as a few reports have suggested there will be.
Yup, Smith and his Lions will be in the semi-finals on Sunday......I suspect his potential earning power is going up with each win.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:42 pm

I am posting here about the rumored hiring of Porter. If the source some posters are accrediting is impeccable as suggested under the related topic, then why has it not been announced that Porter is the coach elect?

If the source is right, then delay may not help Pilot fortunes.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:06 pm

wrv wrote:I am posting here about the rumored hiring of Porter. If the source some posters are accrediting is impeccable as suggested under the related topic, then why has it not been announced that Porter is the coach elect?

I personally have not heard that rumor.

The two "impeccable" sources I know are both saying Porter is very interested in the job....neither has knowledge of him actually been offered the position.  

In the new thread, it has been stated by a trusted source,"that it's Porter's job if he wants it."

Could be, I suppose, but only if things are moving along, and Smith and at least a couple others are now out of the running.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:19 pm

wrv wrote:I am posting here about the rumored hiring of Porter. If the source some posters are accrediting is impeccable as suggested under the related topic, then why has it not been announced that Porter is the coach elect?

Like DD said, I trust my source that Terry is interested, but then again, I'm just some jackass with a keyboard. I have zero knowledge of the interest of the school in Porter.

Even if both parties are interested, it still doesn't mean a deal can be made.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Possible delay reasons: background investigations, salary negotiations, budget discussions, university president approval, regent board approvals, discussions of desired staff, coaching licensing, . . .

If I were being approached for a job, I'd want to know a lot of things, such as what amount of budget do I have for staff and recruiting, before I'd accept. Those could all be negotiating issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:42 pm

up7587 wrote:Possible delay reasons: background investigations, salary negotiations, budget discussions, university president approval, regent board approvals, discussions of desired staff, coaching licensing, . . .
It was once thought Lavin would be immediately announced as the head coach at USF, and there's a good chance he still will be, but his reported $2 million salary demand has to have given the WCC school some pause......

One would think a former pro coach would demand more salary, on the other hand if that former pro coach has plenty in the bank, and just wants a shot at getting a small college team into the Tournament, one would think he'd be looking for more of a financial commitment from a university toward the program, not just the coach.

Rambis has reportedly asked for $1.2 at SCU....now SCU can probably easily afford it, but is that what they want to do with their money?

Former Trailblazer Stoudemire reportedly signed for $500K over 5 years, and that seems pretty reasonable, but I don't see the current UP administration overlooking relatively recent personal conduct transgressions as UOP has apparently done.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:45 pm

Not to pry too deeply but was Reveno's salary publicly reported? I thought he was making less than all three of the salaries DD listed?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:56 pm

wrv wrote:Not to pry too deeply but was Reveno's salary publicly reported? I thought he was making less than all three of the salaries DD listed?

It's Here http://www.up.edu/financialaffairs/default.aspx?cid=12943&pid=3836 $435K
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:06 pm

It appears that whomever Pilot's hire, the pay will at least match Stoudemire.

If Lavin and Rambis are going to pull those kind of salaries, Few and Bennett may need a raise.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:27 pm

wrv wrote:If Lavin and Rambis are going to pull those kind of salaries, Few and Bennett may need a raise.
For sure!

Last I read, Coach Few salary was around $1.2, and I have never heard Bennett's salary after it was renegotiated last year.  

I think Bennett signed for something less than $400K a year for 10 years in 2011, but in 2015 he renegotiated another six year contract....someone will give us a figure. tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum