Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2016 Recruits

+9
ehk21
Harry Redknapp
Dan No Yell
UPSoccerFanatic
ejjqb
DoubleDipper
A_Fan
My2cents
UPWomenSoccerRookie
13 posters

Go down

2016 Recruits Empty 2016 Recruits

Post by UPWomenSoccerRookie Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:22 pm

OregonLive has a video interview with Lucy Davidson of Scappoose after her team won the Oregon 4A girls soccer title today.  Near the end of the interview it mentions that both Lucy and her teammate Natalie Muth plan to attend UP next fall.  I added a second article that mentions Rebekah Kurle as their coach & gives a brief overview of their season.

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-1343102753029348915/watch-lucy-davidson-talks-about-scappooses-perfect-season-as-it-wins-4a-girls-soccer-state-title/

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-1343103753037348900/scappoose-dominates-in-a-5-0-win-over-brookings-harbor-to-win-second-4a-state-title-in-three-years-girls-soccer-recap/

It is a bit intimidating to scroll down through the NCAA recruiting spreadsheet, passing Penn State with its many recruits, many with several lines indicating participation on regional or national teams.  I try not to look at the recruits for Stanford, ND, FSU, UNC, etc.

UPWomenSoccerRookie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

2016 Recruits Empty Re: 2016 Recruits

Post by My2cents Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:17 pm

I think it is becoming increasingly difficult to recruit against the super conferences.  They are pouring more and more money into their women's soccer programs which enables them to build state of the art facilities to woo new recruits. Add that and the fact that these conferences also have their own TV networks to further entice recruits. BYU is the one school least impacted by what is going on, since they have the money and their own TV network going for them.

My2cents
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-08-23

Back to top Go down

2016 Recruits Empty 4A all-state team has 2 UP recruits

Post by UPWomenSoccerRookie Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:11 am

The Oregon girls' 4A all-state soccer selections were announced today.  The two UP recruits from Scappoose made 1st team, including player of the year.  The article includes comments from Rebekah Kurle, the Scappoose coach and 4A coach of the year.

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-1891850046225435279/class-4a-girls-soccer-all-state-teams-lucy-davidson-of-scappoose-is-player-of-the-year/

UPWomenSoccerRookie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:38 pm

Nice article, thanks for the link.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:12 am

As expected, two-time 4A champs Muth and Davidson sign with the Pilots....

http://www.pamplinmedia.com/scs/86-sports/292063-169322-natalie-muth-lucy-davidson-commit-to-university-of-portland-soccer
2016 Recruits 00003510
I too would be smiling if my daughter just got a scholarship to UP.  Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:36 pm

I noticed this on O-Live yesterday and was wondering then if these are the best players in Oregon? Do the Pilots have a chance to recruit the best players here or anywhere in today's world? Any word on other signees or do we have to wait for the Pilots' normal slow announcement?

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:17 pm

ejjqb wrote:I noticed this on O-Live yesterday and was wondering then if these are the best players in Oregon?  Do the Pilots have a chance to recruit the best players here or anywhere in today's world?  Any word on other signees or do we have to wait for the Pilots' normal slow announcement?
Hypothetical questions, I assume.

We do know that Davidson was recently selected as the 4A Player of the Year in Oregon and today was named the Gatorade Oregon Girls Soccer Player of the Year (regardless of school classification) for 2015 after winning the same recognition in 2014.

The criteria for that award is: athletic production and impact in the 2015-16 season. Each state winner also must demonstrate high academic achievement and exemplary personal character, including volunteerism, sportsmanship and community leadership.

From Gatorade:
THE WINNER: Lucy Davidson

THE BASICS

School: Scappoose (Ore.)
Grade: Senior
Position: Midfielder and Defender
Height: 5-foot-7

Athletic achievement: The state’s returning Gatorade Player of the Year, she led the Indians to an 18-0 record and the Class 4A state championship this past season. Davidson scored 31 goals and passed for 14 assists, including a pair of goals in a 5-0 win over Brookings-Harbor High in the state final. A two-time Class 4A State Player of the Year, Davidson has participated in a training camp with the U.S. Soccer Under-20 Women’s National Team. She concluded her prep soccer career with 87 goals and 47 assists.

Academic excellence: Davidson has maintained a 4.33 weighted GPA and is ranked No. 2 in her class.

Exemplary character: The president of the Scappoose High National Honor Society, she has volunteered locally as part of community-beautification projects and as a mentor to elementary and middle school students. She has also donated her time to an annual Christmas party for foster children and their families.

THE PRAISE

“Lucy Davidson is the ultimate player,” said Brian Reed, head coach of Banks High. “If you focus on her, she gets her teammates involved. If you don’t focus on her she kills you.”

THE FUTURE: Davidson has signed a National Letter of Intent to play soccer on an athletic scholarship at the University of Portland beginning this fall.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:49 pm

ejjqb wrote:I noticed this on O-Live yesterday and was wondering then if these are the best players in Oregon?  Do the Pilots have a chance to recruit the best players here or anywhere in today's world?  Any word on other signees or do we have to wait for the Pilots' normal slow announcement?

Here's what's projected on the most reliable recruiting website I know of:

Davidson, Lucy D Warren, OR FC Portland 2014 October U-20 NT Camp
2014-15 Gatorade State Player of the Year
Hazlett, Kimberly F , WA Crossfire Premier
Miyama, Brianna F , OR Crossfire United Oregon
Muth, Natalie D Scappoose, OR FC Portland
Seekins, Rylee M Vancouver, WA FC Portland 2015 ECNL/id2 National Camp
2015 October U-18 NT Camp
2015 December U-18 NT Camp
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:14 pm

What if the team was made up of players who loved playing the game? Who were great citizens, volunteering at Ronald McDonald House and in N Portland schools? Players who did their best on the field?
BUT! They are not a top 100 team.
Would you still root for them?

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

2016 Recruits Empty Seven players signed

Post by Harry Redknapp Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:06 pm

http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2016/2/5/WSOC_0205164811.aspx

Time will tell but five FC Portland players and two from Washington.

In addition to graduating seniors I know that one other player is not playing next season.

So they could have 23 players in the fall.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by ehk21 Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:12 am

All you have to do is go to the UP Athletics website and read the article on the first recruit committed to the new men's soccer coach. That recruit appears to be the sort of upper level difference maker we used to recruit. The men's team has the same sort of disadvantages as the women's team in recruiting, so I think we might have an answer to what the issue might be with women's soccer recruiting.

ehk21
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2015-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:58 pm

All due respect, ehk21, I'm still not ready to throw in the towel on GS. The entire staff makes an impression on a potential recruit and Lisa is solid gold on that team.
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Susie Que Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:40 pm

Re: throwing in the towel on GS

Let's hope we have more than 4 conference wins for a change with these recruits. If not, I doubt anyone believes he can survive a third consecutive season not making the playoffs.

Susie Que
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by My2cents Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:48 pm

Playing 3 games in that amount of time with the smaller roster they have, especially with a couple of key players still not back a 100% yet, was probably too much of risk to be taking. Hopefully there can be at least one game with the Thorns or the Reign in the Spring schedule.

My2cents
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Susie Que Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:14 am

Huh?

Susie Que
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:22 am

This staff knows how to win. They know how to be at the top. I still trust them and am confident in their abilities. The students are still behind this team.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Corrado Kid Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:42 pm

Today, Soccerhunter on the BigSoccer board ranked the Pilot class #25. Maybe these recruits will help UP climb out of the abyss and end the grumbling. (Santa Clara was #20)

Corrado Kid
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2015-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:23 pm

Portland has been known to find players that have intangibles that have made the teams better. I realize it hasn't shown for a couple of years, but I'm going out on a limb (as opposed to my usual limp) and saying I've been very pleased by what I've seen with FC Portland and believe Portland will be a major contender in the WCC.
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down