Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coach Rev Radio Show--Mondays, 7-8pm, Sports 910 AM

+7
Geezaldinho
VillaGorilla
NoPoNeighbor
DoubleDipper
wrv
DTLegend
PilotNut
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Coach Rev Radio Show--Mondays, 7-8pm, Sports 910 AM - Page 3 Empty Re: Coach Rev Radio Show--Mondays, 7-8pm, Sports 910 AM

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:32 pm

up7587 wrote:Got an executive summary?
Really nothing more than you can read on PN...really! Rev even let it slip that Joseph Smoyer will be signing a NLI next week, and as we all know, he's not allowed to say that, so he'll have to self-report his transgression.  Shocked

Alec Monson will be finishing up his LDS Mission in Guatemala "early in the calendar year," so will be able to arrive at UP and get his "basketball legs under him" before summer practices begin.

Although it's been spoken of here, Rev did say that Jazz is good at scoring and is capable of playing the 1 or 2, so we could see a little different approach with both Jazz and Alec in the game together....

Finally, the plan is to play more up-tempo than the last couple of years as UP now has fewer bigs and more athleticism.

Like I said, nothing new.....if you read PilotNation.  Twisted Evil
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Coach Rev Radio Show--Mondays, 7-8pm, Sports 910 AM - Page 3 Empty Re: Coach Rev Radio Show--Mondays, 7-8pm, Sports 910 AM

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:03 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Alec Monson will be finishing up his LDS Mission in Guatemala "early in the calendar year," so will be able to arrive at UP and get his "basketball legs under him" before summer practices begin.

Hey, I didn't know he was back that soon. Also I was checking out UC Davis a bit with the Pilots/Aggies game coming up in 11 days and I see Alec's brother Neal Monson is on that team.

Did Rev say anything about Chiir Maker's first couple months at UP?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:02 am

Good summary, DD... really nothing new. There was no mention of Chiir Maker.

Rev also gave a quick breakdown of what the 6 graduated seniors are up to. One segment covered the rules changes for this year: 30 second shot clock (he was in favor of it, and doesn't think it will really be that big of a deal), no more 5-second rule for defended players when dribbling, the coach cannot call a time-out when the ball is live (but can when the ball is dead), and the freedom of movement (defenders cannot impede the movement of players with their arms, etc). He also mentioned that an area of emphasis will be enforcement of the rule that a defender cannot put 2 hands on the opponent.

I see some challenges on enforcing the impeding movement change... remember a couple seasons ago when they tried to tighten up player contact calls? There was a foul every couple seconds, and it was dreadful to sit through (and I think they re-adjusted the interpretation mid-season?). It will be interesting to see how tightly they call the 2 hands rule, too... last season I am not sure it was ever called.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:44 am

PilotNut wrote:Good summary, DD...  really nothing new.  There was no mention of Chiir Maker.

Rev also gave a quick breakdown of what the 6 graduated seniors are up to.  One segment covered the rules changes for this year: 30 second shot clock (he was in favor of it, and doesn't think it will really be that big of a deal), no more 5-second rule for defended players when dribbling, the coach cannot call a time-out when the ball is live (but can when the ball is dead), and the freedom of movement (defenders cannot impede the movement of players with their arms, etc).  He also mentioned that an area of emphasis will be enforcement of the rule that a defender cannot put 2 hands on the opponent.  

I see some challenges on enforcing the impeding movement change... remember a couple seasons ago when they tried to tighten up player contact calls?  There was a foul every couple seconds, and it was dreadful to sit through (and I think they re-adjusted the interpretation mid-season?).  It will be interesting to see how tightly they call the 2 hands rule, too... last season I am not sure it was ever called.

The best rule change is rule that team timeouts within 30 seconds of the media timeout become the media timeout. I hated when a coach would call a timeout right before the media timeout so they get two back to back. Rev loved to do this, but it just slowed the game down too much.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:09 pm

PilotNut wrote:Good summary, DD...  really nothing new.  There was no mention of Chiir Maker.

Rev also gave a quick breakdown of what the 6 graduated seniors are up to.  One segment covered the rules changes for this year: 30 second shot clock (he was in favor of it, and doesn't think it will really be that big of a deal), no more 5-second rule for defended players when dribbling, the coach cannot call a time-out when the ball is live (but can when the ball is dead), and the freedom of movement (defenders cannot impede the movement of players with their arms, etc).  He also mentioned that an area of emphasis will be enforcement of the rule that a defender cannot put 2 hands on the opponent.  

I see some challenges on enforcing the impeding movement change... remember a couple seasons ago when they tried to tighten up player contact calls?  There was a foul every couple seconds, and it was dreadful to sit through (and I think they re-adjusted the interpretation mid-season?).  It will be interesting to see how tightly they call the 2 hands rule, too... last season I am not sure it was ever called.

I have a hard time with a few of the new rule changes. Im not sure I like the 5 second rule change, its not like we dont have enough 1-1 play and pick and rolls to watch.

As for the freedom of movement emphasis, correct me if I am wrong but havent coaches for eons taught their players "not to let anyone cross their face"? And what about post defense? Isnt the core of post play to establish position? I see arms, shoulders, even hands as an integral part of defense. Anyway as a fan of physical play I cant see this being a positive change.

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:33 pm

pilotdad1 wrote:

I have a hard time with a few of the new rule changes. Im not sure I like the 5 second rule change, its not like we dont have enough 1-1 play and pick and rolls to watch.

As for the freedom of movement emphasis, correct me if I am wrong but havent coaches for eons taught their players "not to let anyone cross their face"? And what about post defense? Isnt the core of post play to establish position? I see arms, shoulders, even hands as an integral part of defense. Anyway as a fan of physical play I cant see this being a positive change.

I totally agree with Pilotdad. No 5 seconds? That's a huge defensive play when you can guard a guy dribbling for 5 seconds. And it's terrible for the game of basketball if we're going to allow a point guard to dribble the ball around for 30 seconds. Terrible.

Also agree about the freedom of movement. The whole point of fundamental defense is to stop the offense from being able to get into their set or to execute their set effectively. This is specifically accomplished by not allowing freedom of movement.

It will be interesting to see how they are interpreted and played out in games. I think it has the potential to be a huge loss for great defense......this would be sad.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:29 am

They'll enforce the rules for half a season, then Gonzaga will get the benefit of the calls in conference.

Business as usual. Wink

I think that the loss of the 5 second rule is no big deal if they actually call hand checks and don't forget about them like the last time around. The rule was a joke last year.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3