Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pilot House Pub.... wait WHAT!?!?

+4
Stonehouse
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
DaTruRochin
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Pilot House Pub.... wait WHAT!?!? Empty The Pilot House Pub.... wait WHAT!?!?

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:39 pm

http://upbeacon.com/2014/11/05/pilot-house-to-be-transformed-into-a-pub-and-gathering-space/

Well this is one way to keep those raucous kids from pestering the neighbors on their way back from the bar...

The official potential plans: http://issuu.com/universityofportland/docs/pilot_house_expansion_bookletfinal_

My only comment on the schematic? NEEDS MORE PILOT WHEEL!!!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

The Pilot House Pub.... wait WHAT!?!? Empty Re: The Pilot House Pub.... wait WHAT!?!?

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:19 pm

Yes, it's true….students will at last have a place they can grab a burger and a beer, and a lot more, on campus at the University of Portland!

The new Pilot House Pub will provide sports bar like atmosphere to shoot pool, hear live music, hold special social events, and gather for late-night camaraderie…..on campus….in a safe environment!

This much needed update of the Pilot House will provide students and PilotNation fans a place to gather before and after games….hopefully increasing game attendance by students, and it will keep the students out of the neighborhoods and their cars late at night.  

I have already sent my tax deductible gift to help construction begin in May and be completed by WCC basketball season in 2015.  You know, if enough PilotNation fans donated money…..we could get naming rights!

The person to contact at UP to give a gift or ask questions is Carol McClory in the UP Development Office.

Phone: 503/ 943-7971 (office); 971/ 506-4102 (cell)
Email:  McClory@up.edu 
Online giving: https://onlinegiving.up.edu/designate.aspx (Write Pilot House in the "other" block)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11095
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

The Pilot House Pub.... wait WHAT!?!? Empty Re: The Pilot House Pub.... wait WHAT!?!?

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:41 pm

Where will the majority of students who are underage hang out?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Lots of details still need to be worked out - not to mention actually raising the money to build it! - but the plan is for this space to be open and accessible for all students. I'm not sure exactly how that will be accomplished, but there are ways. Lots of restaurants have a restricted-access bar area and an all ages area - I think that will be the model.

And yes, I still do exist! Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:24 pm

If you call that an existence.....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:39 pm

Have you noticed how as the rest of age, Stoney still looks the same as he did as a student....

Yes, details still to be worked out, but virtually all pubs we go to these days are "family" pubs where patrons of all ages can eat while those of a certain age can drink alcoholic beverages.

I understand the Notre Dame model has those of drinking age wearing wrist bands...but the big push now is to get it funded and built in 2015...a much shorter planning, funding, and building cycle than we are used to seeing.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:38 am

DoubleDipper wrote:I have already sent my tax deductible gift to help construction begin in May and be completed by WCC basketball season in 2015.  You know, if enough PilotNation fans donated money…..we could get naming rights!

The Beacon wrote:The renovation will cost about $2.2 million, half of which has already been raised.

Nice job, DD!  Way to step up.

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:25 am

Look for a slight uptick in freshman applications in 2016.
Awesome development though. Reminds me of a priest at UP who once said that the campus would become dry over his dead body.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:37 am

Any word on the tap list? Wink
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:45 am

pilotram wrote:Any word on the tap list? Wink

I'd rather Pilotnation have a say in that, than naming rights.

drunken
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:19 am

up7587 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I have already sent my tax deductible gift to help construction begin in May and be completed by WCC basketball season in 2015.  You know, if enough PilotNation fans donated money…..we could get naming rights!

The Beacon wrote:The renovation will cost about $2.2 million, half of which has already been raised.

Nice job, DD!  Way to step up.

Do they really need donations for an on campus pub? It sounds to me like they need investors. Where to I sign up?
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:23 pm

up7587 wrote:Nice job, DD!  Way to step up.
Yeah, except now I'm out of money, Mrs. DD has left me, and I'm living in Geezer's basement.....

But yes, it true....UP "ONLY" needs to raise another $million, or so.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:26 pm

And he keeps whining for me to turn the heat on down there....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:44 pm

One step closer....  Thanks Anonymous Donor (who happens to be a 1980 graduate and lives in Indonesia)!

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blog/real-estate-daily/2014/11/anonymous-donor-gives-up-300k-for-pilot-house.html

(Hint: the URL pretty much tells you all you need to know about the article).

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:34 am

The numbers are in...the campaign to renovate the Pilot House and add an on-campus pub has netted the required $2.2 million needed to complete the project.

This time next year, and hopefully a little earlier, we'll all be able to raise a pint together and toast Pilots victories.  Cheers!

Way to go PilotNation members....I can't recall a UP campaign that raised so much $$ so quickly!! cheers
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:57 pm

I dont suppose that easing the access to beer had anything to do with raising the funds... drunken

I think this is going to be a fantastic addition to campus. So what will the pub be named? Captain Wally's? The Cove? The PN Skybox?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:13 pm

While in Las Vegas, five of us sitting around drinking beer (it was Sunday, so the sacrifices of Lent were apparently not in play) took a vote and unanimously agreed that Portside should be somewhere in the name of the new UP (Pilot House) Pub.

As the literal definition of portside is: situated on or near the waterfront at a port, a naming possibility could be Portside Pub, but I'm going to guess the UP administration will want to put less emphasis on the drinking portion of the facility.

The full service restaurant and pub at Notre Dame is called, LEGENDS of Notre Dame.  So a possible name could simply be Pilots Portside.

What are your thoughts?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:31 pm

PilotNut wrote:.  So what will the pub be named?  Captain Wally's?  The Cove?  The PN Skybox?  

PilotNation Headquarters.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:58 pm

The Portside Club.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:06 pm

Portside Inn. Or, "Hey Geez, you need to leave now."

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:10 am

No name yet for the new Pilot House and Pub, but renovation/construction is to begin soon.  

I've heard the beginning of Final Exams on April 27 will coincide with the temporary closing of the Pilot House as work begins.

Target date for being ready to serve students, alums, and guests: right after the week-long UP Fall Vacation, October 26th.

So, a UP Pub toward the end of soccer season and before the beginning of the basketball schedule!!  drunken
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Hurry if you want to get a burger from the Pilot House before the renovation begins.  I was told we had until Monday, but then I heard it closes this evening, and won't reopen until the end of October.  That's six months without my favorite burgers and fries.
The Pilot House Pub.... wait WHAT!?!? Cdzixr10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Thought it would be good to post a couple of "before" pictures so we can make a comparison when the Pilot House (Pub) opens after Fall Break.....
The Pilot House Pub.... wait WHAT!?!? Cdzixg11
The Pilot House Pub.... wait WHAT!?!? Cdzixh10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:49 pm

So, there is a renovated Pilot House dedication on Oct. 29th.  Still the Pilot House, guess they didn't like any of our naming ideas. 

DD, are you the master of ceremonies?

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:47 pm

up7587 wrote:DD, are you the master of ceremonies?
Haha, no, I may have been a contributor, but instead of being the lead donor, I was only the cheerleader encouraging others to donate....

The Pilot House Pub.... wait WHAT!?!? Th7ts910
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next