Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Columbus Day -- How is that still a thing?

2 posters

Go down

Columbus Day -- How is that still a thing? Empty Columbus Day -- How is that still a thing?

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:02 pm

A few of my more conservative friends thought this was blasphemy.....
Regardless, Happy (fill in the blank) Day! Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11095
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Columbus Day -- How is that still a thing? Empty Re: Columbus Day -- How is that still a thing?

Post by Guest Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:03 pm

From Admiral of the Ocean Sea: A Life of Christopher Columbus

"At the end of 1492 most men in Western Europe felt exceedingly gloomy about the future. Christian civilization appeared to be shrinking in area and dividing into hostile units as its sphere contracted. For over a century there had been no important advance in natural science and registration in the universities dwindled as the instruction they offered became increasingly jejune and lifeless. Institutions were decaying, well-meaning people were growing cynical or desperate, and many intelligent men, for want of something better to do, were endeavoring to escape the present through studying the pagan past. . . .

Yet, even as the chroniclers of Nuremberg were correcting their proofs from Koberger’s press, a Spanish caravel named Nina scudded before a winter gale into Lisbon with news of a discovery that was to give old Europe another chance. In a few years we find the mental picture completely changed. Strong monarchs are stamping out privy conspiracy and rebellion; the Church, purged and chastened by the Protestant Reformation, puts her house in order; new ideas flare up throughout Italy, France, Germany and the northern nations; faith in God revives and the human spirit is renewed. The change is complete and startling: “A new envisagement of the world has begun, and men are no longer sighing after the imaginary golden age that lay in the distant past, but speculating as to the golden age that might possibly lie in the oncoming future.”

Christopher Columbus belonged to an age that was past, yet he became the sign and symbol of this new age of hope, glory and accomplishment. His medieval faith impelled him to a modern solution: Expansion."

Back to top Go down

Columbus Day -- How is that still a thing? Empty Re: Columbus Day -- How is that still a thing?

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:57 pm

I can badmouth C-Day now that I'm no longer in Boston (the Italian community loves them some Columbus Day in Boston...) but here's another irreverent take on the day...

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/columbus_day

DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:40 pm

DaTruRochin wrote: but here's another irreverent take on the day...
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/columbus_day
Evil or Very Mad Well, after reading that, I think I will just beginning celebrating Thanksgiving Day in Canada and Indigenous People Day in Seattle.....but for many of us, Columbus Day was never a thing anyway!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11095
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down