Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topdrawer shows some love

+4
Dan No Yell
OldePilot
A_Fan
Geezaldinho
8 posters

Go down

Topdrawer shows some love Empty Topdrawer shows some love

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:30 am

TDS has an article about the 2005 Pilots, calling them one of the best teams of

ALL TIIMMME!

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91stminute/2013/11/the-best-womens-di-teams-of-all-time-the-2005-portland-pilots/
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Topdrawer shows some love Empty Re: Topdrawer shows some love

Post by A_Fan Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:05 pm

I forgot that Allie Long was on that team.  

The shoot out video never gets old.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:17 am

I watched the shootout video...again. I was lucky enough to have been at College Station in person and all the chills and pride came rushing back. The article notes Christine, the seniors, and Megan. But national teamers Angie and Stephanie played big roles, as did they all (Nice left, Beef!)
What a team You Can Not Stop Us!
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:43 pm

Been watching it over and over. I get nervous each time. Cory! Cory!

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo Kid Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:38 am

I remember watching this and thinking, I can't lose with supporting both the Blue and the Purple.
Pilots definitely did a better job on their kicks. I did not recognize Rapinoe in those videos. She was so young.
Indigo Kid
Indigo Kid
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:47 pm

Without a doubt!!  They played the beautiful game to near perfection almost every match.  FLUID, FAST, FLAWLESS technical execution of the possession game.  It was Magical and Mesmerizing to watch as a fan.  They'd "pull the plug" on an opponent's defense effortlessly it seemed.   You can literally watch a Defense die a slow death!  Respiration slows...Heart Rate flat lines....then it would just cease to exist.    

Their level play has been unequivocal since but one of the most memorable affects I hold dear to my heart....was how they captivated and energized the City.  There has never ever been a ground swell of interest that intense in Women's College Soccer.

I remember standing in line at my local Safeway's ticket outlet, hoping to purchase a couple of tickets to the Notre Dame playoff game.  50 of my neighbors were in line with me.  They only were able to sell tickets to the first two folks!  SOLD OUT citywide in under a minute!  WHAT?!!  affraid 

I had to scramble...and got tickets from a scalper!   I paid $100 for 2 tickets to that match!  BUT, man...it was worth every penny!  If you were there....you know how energetic it was at Merlo that night!  Rapinoe blasted a historical shot at goal as INTENSE as the crowd was!  

Truly a Memorable Team and Time!

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Too bad we didn't have the video back then so we could watch a replay.  I was there too and we only have the memories.

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:56 am

This, from Abby Haight's story in today's Oregonian:

Rapinoe's first goal -- a crack shot in the 14th minute that Notre Dame coach Randy Waldrum said was the hardest-hit he had seen by a woman or a man -- rocked a Fighting Irish team that had been controlling the opening minutes.

"We knew she could hit the ball from distance and that she would smack it from anywhere," Waldrum said. "And she did." cheers 
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:42 am

The shot, notwithstanding its pace, should have been stopped/saved by the Notre Dame goalie, who reacted oddly by jumping when she did not have to, ultimately twisting her body in a way that made it a more difficult save than it should have been. Notre Dame’s goalie obviously did not make the save, which I suspect she would have had she not left her feet. One wonders if she had read too many of Megan’s press clippings and was waiting for a shot like that to be unleashed.

What an atmosphere for that game . . .and what a great game. If you recall Alexander made a nice save on a shot at point blank range in the waning seconds that would have tied the score. Notre Dame was indeed a worthy opponent for our team of the ages.

After Notre Dame and Penn State, it was nice to have a laugher for the championship.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:03 am

It looked awkward because the ball was already in the net when the keeper jumped.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:08 am

The ball went off the goalie’s hands . . .when she was in midair . . .that’s the way I recall it and I think the film, if it exists, would verify it.

And, btw, after the game, I watched a friend’s video of the game. Jimmy Kelly, the former Timber forward, likewise suggested that the ball should have been saved.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Wow! After over eight years, I prefer to remember the shot and the excitement of scoring early on the Irish, with Waldrum's quote (exaggeration or not) to capture it in Pilot lore. I'm sure there were a lot of shots over time that should have been saved...and a lot that weren't. Like this one.
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Though I have not included the entire summary, this partial summary alludes to the shot from our Ms. Rapinoe:

PORTLAND, Ore. - Redshirt freshman Megan Rapinoe scored two goals and assisted on the third as Portland ran to a 3-1 victory over Notre Dame in the quarterfinals of the 2005 NCAA Women's Soccer Championships Friday, Nov. 24, at a sold out Merlo Field. The win advanced the Pilots to the College Cup semi-finals to face Penn State, a 2-1 winner over Santa Clara earlier in the day.

In a rematch of last year's quarterfinal matchup, which the Fighting Irish won by a 3-1 margin, the Pilots got redemption with their first win against Notre Dame at home in five meetings. "This team is surprising me each and every day we go out and play," Portland coach Garrett Smith said. "Notre Dame gave us everything we could handle, but my team gave us even a little bit more."

Before a crowd of 4,892 and a television audience on UPN-49, Rapinoe dazzled onlookers with a powerful offensive explosion. Notre Dame came out of the gates strong through the first 12 minutes and controlled the run of play early, but the momentum changed in the 14th minute when Rapinoe surprised the Notre Dame defense and goalkeeper Erika Bohn with a 23-yard rocket from straight out. Bohn got her fingertips on the attempt, but couldn't keep it from finding the back of the net. In the 19th minute, the Pilots went up 2-0 as Rapinoe sent a sharp cross from the left endline across the goal mouth. Bohn came off her line and dove in an attempt to push the ball out of danger, but the momentum of the cross reached Lindsey Huie who finished from 15 yards out for her fifth goal of the season.

Whatever happened with the shot, that game was truly exciting.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:08 am

And then Megan gave us this against SCU!  Another Epic match against our rivals.

THIS IS ONE OF MOST BEAUTIFUL MEMORABLE GOALS!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down