Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BYU @ Portland, Thursday 7:00 (ROOT)

+15
Stonehouse
HRZag
wrv
writerpilot
blacksheep
pilotram
ShipstadPilot11
oh brody
PurplePrideTrumpet
Pilot2002
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
DTLegend
dholcombe
DoubleDipper
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

BYU @ Portland, Thursday 7:00 (ROOT) - Page 3 Empty Re: BYU @ Portland, Thursday 7:00 (ROOT)

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:41 pm

up7587 wrote:I plan on going over the replay to get a better understanding of the calls. Then DoubleDipper and I can compare notes of our analyses.  Suspect 
I've already posted here about couple of the blown calls by the refs during the game, but I take back what I said about the referees last night after the first of Korey’s missed dunks…..he just went up way too early and didn’t make it to the basket….it didn’t appear he was touched.

Sorry, refs, but we're still not even!   Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

BYU @ Portland, Thursday 7:00 (ROOT) - Page 3 Empty Re: BYU @ Portland, Thursday 7:00 (ROOT)

Post by jumpstop Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:02 pm

I remember watching Bobby Sharp during a stretch of games in December when he was struggling shooting and he seemed pretty frustrated, I assume it was because of his shooting that he wasn't getting a ton of minutes. Now, he has classmates chanting his name and carrying him around the court on their shoulders. Gotta be happy for him.

jumpstop
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2013-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jumpstop Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:10 pm

This might have been discussed a lot in the past on this board, but one thing about Coach Rev that continues to stand out to me is how positive he seems to be during games. When a player makes a mistake, I've seen other college coaches berate players, embarrass them by screaming at them, or sometimes completely ignore them as they come off the court when substituted for. It like they're deeply offended that a player would make a mistake. He always seems to high five guys who he takes out. He doesn't seem to throw players under the bus in interviews after losses. Again, this is an outsider's view, who's only watched one season of Pilot hoops, but if I was a recruit, seems like that would draw me to UofP. Makes me root for him even more.

jumpstop
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2013-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by GoZags Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:50 am

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=11920768

Thought this recap from a BYU fan's perspective may be appreciated over here.  Particularly the part about the UP fan base.  The 2nd half of his post deals with the Zag game .... so feel free to "ignore" that part of it.  

Certainly some bigtime wins for the Pilots at the halfway point.  Here's a tip of the cap to Coach Rev and the guys.
GoZags
GoZags
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2007-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KTodd Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:43 am

jumpstop, you are right on.  Perspective is important to recruits and parents.

KTodd
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadrach Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:53 pm

I wonder if anyone else on PN who read the BYU fans' perspective (suggested by GoZags) on their 2-game swing to the Pacific NW had the same reaction to the fans' comments that I did? I found his overall attitude reeked of superiority (except for the game results of course) and the little personal digs/observations about several UP players to be cheap and out of bounds. Maybe I'm being too sensitive but I didn't like that part at all.

Shadrach
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Welcome to the world of messege boards

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:48 pm

The cougar board is funny. One wag went on about how the move to the WCC was a big mistake because they are too good for the league. They used to be hot in the mountain West ( not according to UNLV folks)

Maybe they can join the Big East along with the Zags.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:51 pm

Shadrach wrote: Maybe I'm being too sensitive but I didn't like that part at all.
Haha, yea, maybe a little too sensitive, but that's how most religious wars are started, IMO.....

I personally saw nothing in the article that was derogatory or over-the-top from a fan perspective.  One of the replies to the article suggested that Thomas and Bobby are not that good, but we know better, so really that's all that should matter.

Face it, with all the crap that is posted online, the BYU article was at least factual…..from one fan’s perspective.  tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:43 pm

KTodd wrote:jumpstop, you are right on.  Perspective is important to recruits and parents.
KT, can you elaborate, a little?

Do you mean it's important for both a recruit and a parent to keep in perspective all the "stuff" they see or hear on social media.....because you know what's true and what's not true?
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
Mahatma Gandhi
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by KTodd Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:50 am

That too, yes.  What I specifically was referencing to was jumpstop's comment re Coach Rev and the positive nature in which he handles mistakes.

There isn't a kid out there who is trying to mess up, but it happens.  How a Coach handles that is important.  I watch demeanor, body language, eye contact, and hope that both the player and Coach can turn it into a teaching/listening moment.

So my appreciation was related to keeping a missed FT, a turnover, a poor shot, whatever, in perspective.  These kids are smart, they don't need to be reminded something didn't go their way.  Move forward, learn from it, next play.  That's what I'd preach and enjoy seeing others with the same attitude.  Encouragement.  Head up.  It's ok, let's get the next one.

Feed the positive dog.

KTodd
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:51 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:The cougar board is funny. One wag went on about how the move to the WCC was a big mistake because they are too good for the league. They used to be hot in the mountain West ( not according to UNLV folks)

Maybe they can join the Big East along with the Zags.

Rumor around Provo is that the B12 invite got lost in the mail. I'm sure they'll send another one soon.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:44 pm

KTodd wrote:That too, yes.  What I specifically was referencing to was jumpstop's comment re Coach Rev and the positive nature in which he handles mistakes.
From Rev today:
Being critical without empathy is being a jerk even if said nicely. Always amazed at people's ability to under estimate others challenges.

To be effective coach or leader, you must have empathy. Does not mean lower standards. People w/out empathy usually hiding own short-comings
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:58 pm

jumpstop wrote:I remember watching Bobby Sharp during a stretch of games in December when he was struggling shooting and he seemed pretty frustrated, I assume it was because of his shooting that he wasn't getting a ton of minutes.  Now, he has classmates chanting his name and carrying him around the court on their shoulders. Gotta be happy for him.    
Here's Bobby's reaction:

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:00 pm

Was he standing on a box during that last hug from Alex? Very Happy 
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3