Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots up 30 - 26 at half @ Washington!

+2
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
6 posters

Go down

Pilots up 30 - 26 at half @ Washington! Empty Pilots up 30 - 26 at half @ Washington!

Post by PilotNut Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:53 pm

Great game happening in Seattle.... game is televised on FS Northwest, Comcast Channel 34!

Pilots up at the half!

GO PILOTS!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Pilots up 30 - 26 at half @ Washington! Empty Grrr.

Post by PilotNut Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:20 pm

UW pulls it together just enough to hold on for the 4 point win.

None the less, the Pilots played tough D and took Brockman out of his game. Well done on that front.

Lets take it to EWU on Monday.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Pilots up 30 - 26 at half @ Washington! Empty Re: Pilots up 30 - 26 at half @ Washington!

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:32 pm

Two observations from the game

Luke Sikma is an absolute stud. He held his own and better against bigger and stronger guys.

Nik Raivio - see comment on Luke Sikma.

These guys keep playing like this and the rest of the team keeps improving, we'll do fine in conference.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Pilots up 30 - 26 at half @ Washington! Empty Re: Pilots up 30 - 26 at half @ Washington!

Post by PilotNut Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:33 pm

Agreed, I am cautiously optimistic about WCC play... but lets see how we do against a struggling EWU team on Monday... that is a team we should handle quite easily...

Sikma and Raivio and Ito. Major studs.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Pilots up 30 - 26 at half @ Washington! Empty Sigh

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:40 pm

I felt this was a game the Pilots could have easily won. But way too many ugly turnovers and missed close-in shots overcame some good outside shooting. Washington did not look like a good team today. Road wins against PAC-10 teams are hard to get, but the Pilots need to learn how to stay composed and get it done. With a team of mostly frosh and soph players things should be better in the future, but that doesn't take the sting out of losing.

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotpurple Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:04 am

up7587: Completely agree. We actually looked like the better team for most of the game and was very surprised that Brockman was rendered pretty ineffective (by his standards). That said, I think it is a big step for our program when we can look back and say we should have won a game like this. Washington on the road (they lost to No. 12 Pitt by 1 last week) was not a game I envisioned us having a chance at winning.

Hopefully they can take some positives out of the last two quality road performances and turn them into wins in the near future. I agree we should beat EWU, and not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but does anyone else think we could/should sweep the rest of our non-conference schedule? Not a lot of tough games left.

Props to the players and coaches thus far through 10 games. 3-7 is not a fair assessment of how well we are playing, especially when you factor in our youth. I'm excited for our potential come the WCC season.

pilotpurple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down

Pilots up 30 - 26 at half @ Washington! Empty One more thing...

Post by pilotpurple Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:07 am

Maybe this got lost in the shuffle of the game, but how about Marcus Carter providing a big lift off the bench. That is what I like about this team. He has not played ANY significant minutes all season and we were terribly struggling at the start of the game and he came on and played VERY well when Watson got in early foul trouble. Everybody seems to be stepping up and contributing when needed, and that is in my opinion a sign of good preparation and coaching. Reveno still must get the W's to prove his worth, but I haven't chatted with too many UP fans who have been disappointed with our program's direction since his arrival.

pilotpurple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:01 am

Hey everyone! I was up at the game, and let me tell you... it was pretty darn inspiring to see the Pilots hanging in there the whole way. And the amazing thing is that I feel like we didn't even play particularly well on the offensive end... but dang did we do a good job defensively. Huge, huge props to Kramer, Luke, and Jasonn for containing Brockman, despite all of them being in foul trouble. I was particularly impressed with Knutson - he was just dogging him non-stop the whole time. And Jasonn is clearly improving... I think he's at the point now where he can come in and consistently contribute, even if it's just on the defensive end.

Raivio was the man... he's got the guts to take the big shots, and he came up big several times throughout the game. Stohl knocked down his shots too, when he had them. Gosh do I love having players who can hit those open shots.

I thought Ito had the best game I'd personally seen him play so far this year, especially when he carried the team on his back early in the game when everyone was struggling. And he did an awesome job defensively... I especially loved the 4-on-1 that UW had where Ito somehow ended up stealing the ball away. (Well, OK, it was mainly just a bad decision by the Huskies, but still... it was pretty awesome.)

Sikma played pretty well, but didn't have his best game. Still, he showed his skills with some tremendous passes and tough rebounds. And how about coming up big at the end, drawing the charge on Brockman (and fouling him out!) with one minute left.

Smuelders... not so good. Obviously we need him scoring more than zero points. He has been struggling over the past several games now... he needs to get back on track for sure.

And you definitely do have to tip your cap to Carter - he came in and provided a good lift, scoring some points and pulling down some boards. I echo what PilotPurple said... it's pretty impressive that he came in and did that after playing practicaly zero minutes all year long.

Anyway... for me, the most impressive thing about this game was how the Pilots didn't crumble after Appleby got hot to start off the second half. He caught fire, hitting three straight threes, and you just got the feeling that this was the "uh oh, the game has turned now" moment that you so often see when an underdog team plays well to start but then finally loses steam. But no... UP responded beautifully and never trailed by more than a few points and traded the lead throughout the entire half. To show that kind of toughness on the road against a quality opponent? That, to me, shows tremendous progress. Got to love what Rev is doing with this team, even if the record isn't showing it right now.

Anyway, let's just hope and pray that we don't have a let down against Eastern. If we play the way we have the past two games, we can definitely pick up a win.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:55 pm

I noticed that Washington shot 73.7% from the field in the second half if I am not mistaken.
I was impressed with the men inside, even though it did'nt show up in Box Score. I think the score would have been much different had Brockman had his usuall 20 pt. 11 reb. game that the potential Wooden trophy candidate has.Knutson,Hanibal, and sometimes Sikma on him did very good
I agree that Carter was a pleasent surprise,I think draining that three-pointer when he first got in helped his confidence.Hopefully he will be able to sub for Sherrard and keep that Speed and Quickness in the game.I noticed Stohl quietly made some 3 pointers,good for him
The best players Sikma and Ravio played good.Sikma did some intangibles around the basket that I believe Jack taught him . RAVIO played out of his mind,I am really gettin hooked on those drives to the basket.I loved that interception Ito had on the 4 on 1 break. Stonehouse that was'nt a bad pass to Tash that was just his Yao Ming arms that intercepted it.
cheers

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by navigator Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:58 pm

Stohl 3/3, two tough shots. I'd be finding this guy some minutes.
navigator
navigator
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by navigator Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:01 pm

raivio was wide open on the three at end of game.....that would have been nice.
navigator
navigator
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-11-03

Back to top Go down