Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COACHES VS. CANCER CLASSIC Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

+6
Geezaldinho
PurplePrideTrumpet
NoPoNeighbor
Pilot2002
CaptWhip
DoubleDipper
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

COACHES VS. CANCER CLASSIC Thursday, Friday, Saturday.  - Page 2 Empty Re: COACHES VS. CANCER CLASSIC Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:15 pm

18 assists and 6 TOs. Excellent, balanced team play. Van der Mars is gaining confidence, and his teammates are really trusting him more and more. Great to see.

Last edited by NoPoNeighbor on Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

COACHES VS. CANCER CLASSIC Thursday, Friday, Saturday.  - Page 2 Empty Re: COACHES VS. CANCER CLASSIC Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:17 pm

I love watching van der Mars and Nicholas out there together. Having two big men as versatile as they are makes for a very tough team.

The students were much better tonight. Actual chants! Amazing!
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:00 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:......The students were much better tonight. Actual chants! Amazing!
As a strong critic of the student section over the last couple of years, and especially last night, I gladly salute the students for their 180 degree turnaround and for their POSTIVE chants, cheers, and yells.

.....and they provided a public service to the Columbia University team by pointing out the location of the exit with almost two minutes remaining. Maybe tomorrow they'll remind the bus driver to "warm up the bus."  tongue

Oh, and Alec's name was spelled correctly on the video screen. Good work everyone.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:19 pm

One of the the biggest positives I see this year is the cohesiveness, the selflessness, the mutual support, and the enjoyment everyone gets from the individual achievements of their teammates…..they are truly a TEAM.  

It’s a joy to see the guys having fun giving a 100% effort….

Best stat of the night: 6 turnovers and 18 assists….3 each by Voldy, Kevin, and Rhino.  Oh, and Tanner buried his first field goals of the season…..a three from the corner….and his teammates went wild!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:51 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:It’s a joy to see the guys having fun giving a 100% effort….Best stat of the night: 6 turnovers and 18 assists….3 each by Voldy, Kevin, and Rhino.
Here's one of Voldy's assists - nice setup by him and finish by van der Mars, but my favourite part of it is the celebration by Gerun, which was in full force before the dunk was even down!

COACHES VS. CANCER CLASSIC Thursday, Friday, Saturday.  - Page 2 Thomas%20Dunk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:30 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Pomeroy is liking the Pilots performance to this point…..UP’s ranking has gone from 191 to 181 to 177 to 168 and now to 157 after last night’s game against Idaho.
And his system sure liked tonight's win because the Pilots made their biggest jump of the year - from 157 before the game all the way up to 126. UP is now the fifth highest ranked team in the WCC, projected for a 17-13 overall record and 8-10 in conference. Yes, only projections but the improvements in the Pomeroys since the beginning of the year are a function of the strong start.

Need to keep clipping along tomorrow against North Texas and win three games in three days for the first of two times this season Cool 

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:31 am

Good report, Dean.

UP won't have much chance of any big moves up on Pomeroy's system rankings until just before Christmas because the teams they'll play at home before heading to Las Vegas are well below UP's current position.

Home:
North Texas - 247
San Jose St. - 266
Southern Utah - 331
Portland St. - 294
Montana St. - 323

December 20-21 in Las Vegas:
Bradley - 181
Princeton - 123

The Pilots have also made a big move in Sagarin's ratings after wins the last two nights.....UP was #220 on Thursday morning and are now #116, fifth in the WCC ahead of LMU, USF, SCU, and PU.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:46 am

Fans might be smart to don their track shoes to watch tonight’s matchup with Texas State…..one of the fastest running and gunning teams in the nation.  

After losing to Columbia and Idaho over the last two days, some might take UNT too lightly, but they should NOT be overlooked.   They are athletic and really get up and down the court in a hurry…..but this is the third game in three days for both teams, so fatigue could be a factor.

After forcing Columbia to pick up their tempo from their usual VERY deliberate style, the Pilots will now have to do the reverse to stop the Mean Green. I’m sure Coach won’t let it become a track meet, but we could see some pretty wild stuff.  

Once again, the Pilots’ strength will be inside, so look for the four BIGS to have a strong influence on the outcome of the game.

Pomeroy is picking the Pilots to win by 12.  Las Vegas is saying the Pilots by 12.5 with an O/U of 160.5……hmm, I think these teams could combine for more that, but it’s going to depend on how well UP slows down UNT….and how many foul shots are made.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:18 pm

OK, I don’t really know much about the RPI and CBS’s version/interpretation of it, but this link was just sent to me:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/rpi/index1

It shows UP at #67, GU at #12 and UOP at #51.

Ha, ha, ha, but I also read this about the CBSSports RPI: Razz 
The RPI ranking is an imaginary rating system that spews out false information every year. It uses voodoo science to make up ranking that have no basis in reality. Last year, it ranked the Mountain West Conference as the 2nd best league in college basketball……It's a good list to print out and line the hamster cage with.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:58 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:OK, I don’t really know much about the RPI and CBS’s version/interpretation of it, but this link was just sent to me:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/rpi/index1

It shows UP at #67, GU at #12 and UOP at #51.

Ha, ha, ha, but I also read this about the CBSSports RPI: Razz 
The RPI ranking is an imaginary rating system that spews out false information every year. It uses voodoo science to make up ranking that have no basis in reality. Last year, it ranked the Mountain West Conference as the 2nd best league in college basketball……It's a good list to print out and line the hamster cage with.....
Wait.

Are you saying St. Mary's isn't the third best team in Basketball right now?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Wait.

Are you saying St. Mary's isn't the third best team in Basketball right now?
Ha-ha, thanks, Geez, I missed that......but no, I doubt it.

I kept checking to see if this was a list of something besides men's basketball....but apparently that's what it is.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:58 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Pomeroy is picking the Pilots to win by 12.  Las Vegas is saying the Pilots by 12.5 with an O/U of 160.5……hmm, I think these teams could combine for more that
48 combined points at the half....hope you didn't bet the house on the over!

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:04 pm

All you need to know is we are shooting 32% and they are at 31%

Our Ft are at 33%
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:35 pm

This is a gross basketball game. And the Pilots might not even lose this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:28 pm

Well, you can't say it wasn't interesting.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Well that was incredibly frustrating. Both teams looked awful for most of the night. That NTU three-pointer off the back rim, 10 feet in the air, and back down and in is the only reason it went to the second OT, and then that Taylor took over for them.

Ohhhhh Pilots, you can be such a tease sometimes.

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:36 pm

One thing that stood out to me: 11 bench points for Portland, with 9 of those from Sharp. The difference between the first and second units is so significant and they need to do more when the starters, especially Nicholas and van der Mars, are resting.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:02 pm

Make a free throw.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:30 am

up7587 wrote:Make a free throw.
At one point in the second half they were shooting FT's at 22%
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilot2002 Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:52 pm

Some observations:

1) North Texas never lead by more than 2 till the 2nd OT
2) The Pilots need to shoot 3's with confidence (hesitant when catch the ball then end up shooting out of rhythm)
3) Alec needs to shoot (take a step or two in from the 3 line; still was wide open)
4) weird substitution patterns - first sub took all 5 starters out. Outside of Bobby only 2 bench points. It made for long scoring droughts.
5) Played 4 games in 6 days, which included playing the #1 team in the country on the road. I am thinking the guys had some tired legs and a little mental fatigue. Poor free throw shooting probably caused by this.

Overall from these 3 games very positive with this team going forward. Up next is San Jose State who beat Pepperdine but lost to Santa Clara (both on the road).

Pilot2002
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Pilot2002 wrote:Some observations:

1) North Texas never lead by more than 2 till the 2nd OT
2) The Pilots need to shoot 3's with confidence (hesitant when catch the ball then end up shooting out of rhythm)  
3) Alec needs to shoot (take a step or two in from the 3 line; still was wide open)
4) weird substitution patterns - first sub took all 5 starters out. Outside of Bobby only 2 bench points.  It made for long scoring droughts.
5) Played 4 games in 6 days, which included playing the #1 team in the country on the road.  I am thinking the guys had some tired legs and a little mental fatigue.  Poor free throw shooting probably caused by this.

Overall from these 3 games very positive with this team going forward.  Up next is San Jose State who beat Pepperdine but lost to Santa Clara (both on the road).
I agree with the assessment. I thought we substituted too early and too often. I thought leaving Thielke in and Bailey on the bench could have been the difference maker toward the end of the game. Three fouls with under five minutes were not enough fouls to have Bailey riding the pines. Thielke, with respect, appears a player possessed when he attempts a shot or crashes the paint and the rim: he is out of control almost always. Aside from missing all shots Thielke turned the ball over picking up the dribble far too soon and then got trapped. He obviously is a defensive player and a good one, but leaving him in too long hurts the offense as it did here.

I am not sure whether Reveno was managing the game itself or had predetermined substitutions that he intended to do come hell or high water. I keep hearing on the radio that the Pilots believe they have great depth this year--the staff seems overly committed to the notion of depth and hence substitutions.

I think we beat North Texas if there are fewer bad calls--that was surely tightly called on our defensive end. We beat them if we have an average night at the free throw line, a better night from behind the arc, but we also beat them if the substitution pattern kept the best team on the floor more often than was the case.

Having said that, this is a better team and we should be optimistic.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:27 pm

All armchair coaches in this thread - bring your thoughts and opinions to Sports 910 tonight at 7 PM for the coach show with Reveno!

Trust me, your input will be welcome - always great for listeners to hear people calling in with passionate, informed opinions on Pilots basketball even if they disagree with Rev on something! Makes for great radio.

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:47 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:All armchair coaches in this thread - bring your thoughts and opinions to Sports 910 tonight at 7 PM for the coach show with Reveno!

Trust me, your input will be welcome - always great for listeners to hear people calling in with passionate, informed opinions on Pilots basketball even if they disagree with Rev on something! Makes for great radio.
But what if you're watching the kids?  Guess I have to hope others enliven the show.  This is great that the athletic department is putting this together.  Bonus for it being on an actual sports station.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2