Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

San Diego Thursday 10/24

+6
Dan No Yell
OldePilot
A_Fan
VillaGorilla
DoubleDipper
UPSoccerFanatic
10 posters

Go down

San Diego Thursday 10/24 Empty San Diego Thursday 10/24

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:57 pm

How about this:

UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

San Diego Thursday 10/24 Empty Re: San Diego Thursday 10/24

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Brilliant!!

I'm pumped, bring 'em on!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:27 pm

Ever wonder what it's like for the opposing coaches to learn of our home record?

VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Remember, TODAY is gameday!

Tough to wrap my head around Thursday/Saturday matches.......tongue 
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:09 pm

On line announcers are an embarrassment..... Pronunciations of Scapoose and personal phones and work phones..... Really?

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:51 am

Yes, they really need to concentrate more on play by play and less on chit chat.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:03 am

pilotfan87 wrote:On line announcers are an embarrassment..... Pronunciations of  Scapoose and personal phones and work phones.....  Really?
So, how did they pronounce "Scapoose"? Of course, I'd be careful about criticizing, since the name of the city is Scappoose.Embarassed 

I've heard two pronunciations, and I don't know which is correct.Question 
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:33 am

While the chit chat may get a little too light at times, they do a good job of crediting opponents and critiquing the Pilots, as appropriate. This is unlike most all play-by-play from other schools. Plus the UP video is excellent! So, when you can't be there...
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:02 am

The female announcer is consistently over critical of UP, and that, coupled with their early commentary compelled me to express my exasperation to PN.  

Reminds me of an old MASH episode:
Frank Burns:  "It's nice to be nice to the nice."
Hot Lips:  "Nice to be nice to the nice?"
Frank Burns:  "Just making conversation."
Hot Lips:  "Try doing it with your mouth shut."

The commentary did improve as the game progressed.  

I found the Pepperdine announcer to be quite good.  He offered many facts regarding UP, and his dialogue was consistently interesting and germane to the game at hand.  

I find it hard to believe that UP couldn't employ a student broadcaster to provide game commentary.  

Yes, the UP video quality is consistently excellent.

Was a good match, UP looked very good.  Evans looked dangerous and I think she is going to break out in the near future.  Also, great to see LaPrevotte scoring goals.

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:44 am

Actually the female announce is a a former UP player, a very good former player. She is currently a coach. I find her comments on the Pilots and their opponents enlightening. She sees things from a different, more intimate with the program perspective, than I see myself. I don't think she is being critical of the team, rather she is pointing out what she sees. I wouldn't want a "homer" in the announcing booth who never points out what they see if it might have a negative connotation.

I do agree with you that both the Pilot announcers could take a lesson from the Pepperdine announcer when it comes to keeping the dialogue more game oriented instead of banter between two friends.

It was a good game. USD was fast and physical which may have seemed to some like they were playing harder. Knocking people around does not usually make for a good team. The Pilots controlled play with some wonderful passing. No, not all of the passes were perfect, but they were very good much of the time.

I enjoyed Noelle up front, her speed and feistiness are refreshing - plus she scores! It was also nice to see Sara B. out there later in the game contributing nicely from the left outside mid position.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:48 am

Story and video are up at Portland Pilot's web site.
Much improvement over Sundays game.
Frisbee was back with no signs of her earlier injury.
Sipple played lots of minutes (55+/-) and showed why she deserves them.

San Diego played a good game and gave us trouble from time to time.

I did see one noticeable change in attack that I am expecting to see criticized. 10, 9, 8, ...

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilotpadre Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:33 pm

pilotfan87 wrote:The female announcer is consistently over critical of UP, and that, coupled with their early commentary compelled me to express my exasperation to PN.  

Reminds me of an old MASH episode:
Frank Burns:  "It's nice to be nice to the nice."
Hot Lips:  "Nice to be nice to the nice?"
Frank Burns:  "Just making conversation."
Hot Lips:  "Try doing it with your mouth shut."

The commentary did improve as the game progressed.  

I found the Pepperdine announcer to be quite good.  He offered many facts regarding UP, and his dialogue was consistently interesting and germane to the game at hand.  

I find it hard to believe that UP couldn't employ a student broadcaster to provide game commentary.  

Yes, the UP video quality is consistently excellent.

Was a good match, UP looked very good.  Evans looked dangerous and I think she is going to break out in the near future.  Also, great to see LaPrevotte scoring goals.

Really don’t understand this one. I know Adam and Angela do a tremendous job. Lot of hours for those two on game days, with other jobs and what have you. The dedication and passion that they have shown for this University has been exemplary. The number of hats that they wear, just during a game is admirable. Multi tasking to keep fans informed via social networks and commentating is not easy. Soccer is not the only sport on campus, and sometimes they have to pick up that extra responsibility.

You need to get more informed. I think I will take Angela’s opinion and analysis more seriously if I were you. She only played for one of the greatest coaches the game has ever had. And by all accounts, a greater human being. And she EXCELLED at it. Do have any idea what that is. You EXCELLED for one of the greatest coaches, ever. So I think her credibility speaks for itself and is invaluable to the University. Do I agree with everything she says? Probably not. But her opinion counts more than mine.

And I for one appreciate the truth. I have never heard her tear down the program or a player. She addresses performance good and bad. If she just sugar coats it and lies, than I’m done with her and anyone else that does that, they lose credibility. She coaches young women. She has relationships with OUR girls and I know they respect her and appreciate her immensely.

I don’t want any coach or person of expertise sugar coating it for my daughter, and she doesn’t either. If you do, then you offer no help to her.

So what, they talk about other stuff, it gives you insight to what they do, and go through. It adds the human element, and you get to know people that are around your team, our girls, and represent the University of Portland. The Conference obviously thought well enough of them, to utilize them for tomorrow nights broadcast.

Adam and Angela do it with great love, loyalty and integrity. I don’t even know if she is compensated for what she does.

Personally I think you owe them and the University an apology.

Try and appreciate what the University is giving us. Maybe you could step up and lay down some of the green to get what you want. As we sometimes say on the Ranch. Ride on or Buck off!

I will quote one of my favorite players on the team, Ms. Lo

Stay Rad Ang and Adam.

Pilotpadre
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post by keeper Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:25 pm

I too am going to weigh in on this topic as the criticism of the announcers is getting old. Personally, I think Adam and Angie do a great. Angie makes some great observations without seeming like a homer all of the time. As a fan, I appreciate her calling out areas where the team can improve. A couple of years ago, the broadcasts had a former player serving as the color commentary and a few of the PN members were critical of the performance as well. While maybe the former player wasn't at the level of Ian Darke, it was a great opportunity for a college kid to get experience. If I remember correctly, college is supposed to be about providing young adults with an opportunity to learn. Since then, UP has chosen to go away from this and started using Angie to provide color. I'm guessing some of the decision was a result of the criticisms that occurred.

It's a college production and given that many other schools don't have the budget or inclination to provide video feeds, I appreciate the effort that goes into UP's video broadcasts and relatively good quality product UP provides. And to the other schools that provide video feeds and are still figuring it out with network challenges and all that goes into delivering a streaming video, thank you for your efforts as well.

Apologies for the rant, but sometimes I think some UP fans need to get some perspective and appreciate how good you actually have it.

keeper
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:01 pm

Just for perspective, occasionally on other websites, I've seen critiques of our play-by-play people as being too much "homers."
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:35 pm

PEOPLE.

You are complaining about a FREE broadcast (for a sport not many colleges don't even bother with providing a decent web stream for) that has, without a doubt, the best production value I've ever seen at the university level for a soccer web stream. Multiple cameras, replays, HD quality.

If you don't like the audio commentary, turn the speakers down. I do that with Joe Buck and Tim McCarver, and they are getting paid millions, unlike the internal staff, passionate alums, and volunteers that help with UP's broadcasts.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:06 pm

Much of what we say in this forum is influenced by the excellent quality that we are using as our standard. Too often we forget that each year is a new set of faces and there are not that many Milbretts, McMillans, Sinclairs, Rapinoes, Enyarts out there for the Pilots to attract. But that is the standard against which we compare current players, some excellent Pilot players, nevertheless. As some of us discussed during the game, we got too accustomed to the 6-0 scores a few years back. No one wins that way any more.

As soccer gets more TV time, we have been exposed to some very good announcers and some not so good. However, they have all been professional announcers, as pointed out, but even that doesn't make them good. Our Pilot announcers do not have this as their primary means of income, probably no income at all, but they do bring their true love of our Pilots to the broadcasts, which are as good as some network productions, regardless of their sometimes diversions. Appreciate them for what they do, tolerate their idiosyncrasies if necessary, and, if you must, just watch and not listen, as suggested. As we have all seen with opponents' productions, we are extremely lucky and should be thanking all involved, especially the athletic department.

By the way, pretty good effort on the field and great to see Noel's ability to finish the break away and Ellen's left-footed shot into the net. And Emily's near score with the rocket from outside the box. And it was great to see Amanda performing so well after what we saw last week. Now, let's support these ladies with numbers against BYU.

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:23 pm

This is great.......

When I first saw the post complaining about UP’s two wonderful soccer commentators, it really made me angry and somewhat dismayed knowing all the work and effort that goes into each broadcast.  But then it dawned on me, the person making the post was just someone who was not fully informed making a personal observation.  This is typical of most public forums and is allowed.  After all, we Americans do revel in our right to free speech.

But now, after reading so many heart-felt responses to the original post, and seeing how passionate so many are about the work done by Adam and Angela and the UP staff, I’m glad for the original post.  It’s truly wonderful to see so many PN posters (including one’s first ever post on PN) come to the defense of the BEST overall video production in collegiate soccer.

I attend most Pilots soccer games, and while sitting on the cold aluminum seats (no, they're not acutally fur lined, Stoney), will have my tablet tuned to the game for the replays and the explanations and insights from Adam and Angela….you won’t see me doing that at the basketball games because the announcer cannot offer anywhere near the same level of insight.

And as for the occasional “homer” comments.....I would hope so, it is after all a HOME game!!

Yes indeed, “Stay Rad Ang and Adam.”
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:28 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I attend most Pilots soccer games, and while sitting on the cold aluminum seats (no, they're not acutally fur lined, Stoney), will have my tablet tuned to the game for the replays and the explanations and insights from Adam and Angela….you won’t see me doing that at the basketball games because the announcer cannot offer anywhere near the same level of insight.

No need at BBall games, as your nearby seatmates provide such sterling analysis and commentary. Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:13 pm

I've only been able to skim the last dozen posts, but let me just repost something I wrote here on Nov 5, 2010 without further comment:

VillaGorilla wrote:To summarize, we have premier facilities, a juggernaut program with exceptional student-athletes, the biggest fan base, and the best game-day atmosphere, but our expectations have been driven so high that the free video feed UP offers is being citicized for the commentary provided by the two amateur commentators. There isn't a single program in the country that wouldn't love to have our problems.

For those looking for professional commentary, set the alarm clock on the weekend and watch the EPL. This is a video feed and the announcers don't need to say every little thing that happens. It's not radio.

If you don't like the commentary, please feel free to mute it.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down