Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stanford

+16
Harry Redknapp
wrv
Dan No Yell
PurplePrideTrumpet
purple passion
VillaGorilla
PurplePappy
ejjqb
Geezaldinho
gxm
DoubleDipper
gnarly
A_Fan
Psychotic
My2cents
keeper
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Stanford - Page 3 Empty Re: Stanford

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:if you can remember the sixties, you weren't there.
Yea, I’ve heard that, but believe me; UP in the ‘60s was VERY, VERY conservative.

In the ’60s, like now, ROTC was a big deal at UP…..and while other schools were dropping ROTC in protest of the Vietnam War, the students and faculty at UP fought to keep AFROTC going….and the program flourished.

Except for alcohol, drugs were rare at UP during my time as a student….that was NOT the case in Berkeley and Oakland where I worked during the summers….

This picture shows what some of us looked like at UP in the ‘60s, as ROTC staff member A1C John Fields accepts the traditional dollar after rendering the first salute to a newly minted 2Lt on graduation day in 1966.

Stanford - Page 3 Afrotc10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by keeper Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:07 am

Great pictures. And I'm not surprised about the conservative nature of UP in the 60s as there were other schools across the country that were similar in nature. Living in the Midwest during that time, we saw a wide range from Wisconsin (liberal, ok make that very liberal) to Notre Dame (conservative) with a lot in between. It was definitely an interesting period of American history.

The comment related to ROTC being a big deal at UP is interesting as I wasn't aware of that. When we took our daughter on a tour of UP, it was hardly mentioned. Thanks for the nostalgia.

keeper
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:49 pm

keeper wrote:The comment related to ROTC being a big deal at UP is interesting as I wasn't aware of that. When we took our daughter on a tour of UP, it was hardly mentioned. Thanks for the nostalgia.
From  The Beacon 10 months ago (edited):
AFROTC wins first place nationally:  UP’s Air Force ROTC Detachment 695 has been named the top detachment of its size in the nation, winning the Right of Line award, AFROTC’s top honor.

With 120 cadets, UP’s detachment belongs to the middle size, one of three size categories for the award.

UP’s AFROTC detachment ranks third nationally in number of cadets per capita of undergraduate enrollment size. About 5 percent of UP undergraduates are in the program, and Detachement commander Col. Paul Huffman believes that makes the accomplishment even more impressive.

“To be among all these huge programs and universities is a big deal,” said Huffman.

Detachment 695 also finished first nationally in 2004 and won its region in 2010.

Huffman believes the partnership Detachment 695 has with UP is fundamental to its success.
I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I believe if one were to count the Army ROTC and Air Force ROTC enrollments together, almost 10% of UP students are involved with programs.pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:44 pm

Finally a video of Sipple's goal at Stanford in the preview to this week's games.

No. 15 Pilots to Host No. 7 Wake Forest, Washington and Central Michigan at the Nike Invitational

On the web: http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2013/9/3/WSOC_0903135624.aspx?path=wsoc

Video Preview w/ Sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkda0shvI9M&hd=1

2013 NIKE INVITATIONAL

#15 PORTLAND (2-0-1) • CENTRAL MICHIGAN (0-2-1)

#7 WAKE FOREST (3-0-0) • WASHINGTON (1-3-0)

Date: Friday, Sept. 6, 2013

Stadium: Merlo Field (4,982)

Teams: UW vs. Wake Forest

Kick-off: 4:30 p.m.

Live Stats: PortlandPilots.com

Teams: Portland vs. C. Michigan

Kick-off: 7:00 p.m.

Live Video: PilotsVideo.com

Overall Series: 0-0-0

Date: Sunday, Sept. 8, 2013

Stadium: Merlo Field (4,982)

Teams: UW vs. C. Michigan

Kick-off: 12:00 p.m.

Teams: Portland vs. Wake Forest

Kick-off: 2:30 p.m.

Live Video: PilotsVideo.com

Overall Series: 2-0-0

Last: POR 2, @WF 1 (Sept. 9, 2001)

ABOUT THE PILOTS...

• The Nike Portland Invitational has been held regularly on the UP campus since 1992.

• Friday will mark the first meeting ever between the Pilots and Central Michigan, while UP and Wake Forest will play on Sunday for the first time since 2001.

• The Pilots are coming off a 1-1 draw at No. 2 Stanford last Saturday night.

• Portland is ranked 10th in the most recent Soccer America poll, 12th in the Top Drawer Soccer Rankings, falls in at No. 13 in the Soccer Times poll and is ranked 16th by the NSCAA.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Well, actually. Until at least 1995 it was the Adidas Portland Invitational. I have a shirt.

It might even have once been the Umbro invitational.

Looking at that video, Stanford left Sipple wide open.

<edit> this article from the UW site is still referring to the tournament as an Adidas tournament in 2000

http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30200&ATCLID=208009572

And links to Adidas Portland invitational articles in 2001

http://www.wccsports.com/sports/m-soccer/archive/west-m-soccer-2001.html

The first mention of a Nike Portland invitational is 2002?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:54 am

purple passion wrote:Announcers just said that Kaila Camelli is done with her collegiate career because of an ACL tear from Spring exhibitions.
I think you'll like Kaila's attitude in this video:

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Kaila ran for the first time in practice yesterday and looked good, considering. The rest of the  team gave her an ovation.

I asked how it felt after and she smiled and  answered

" a little sore"
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Sherman Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:41 am

Sorry for the delayed report since focus has shifted to the Invite.

Stanford - Page 3 08311311

By chance I managed to be with the Drum Squad for the match, which, among other things, let me get the above picture. Of course wearing purple camo pants and an PN shirt didn't hurt.

It was fun to be back with the kilted drummers (sans drums) and see the development of some ideas that could be and possibly have been used this weekend.  One is based off the Proclaimers I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) co-opting the lyrics to something like driving ~600 miles just to see Pilots win this game.

Other contributions like "You Have No History" despite standing near their 2011 National Title banner and the "You'll Never Win here Anyway" part of the "Glory Glory" chant a multi-season home winning streak showed not every suggestion is a gem.

Stanford's goal came off a potential handball call in which a Stanford arm, possibly Rosen, deflected the ball down to her feet. It might have been incidental but the line judge wasn't close enough to see anything. Nevertheless getting a point to break the home opener winning streak dating back to 1988 was worth the drive.

Villa also starts scouting at a young age.

Stanford - Page 3 08311312

Stanford's visitor accommodations seemed to be of a different standard.

Stanford - Page 3 08311313

Overall it was great to sample the college enthusiasm again.  I plan to be in Stockton to help rewelcome Pacific to the WCC October 5th. For those planning to go, admission is free!
DJ Sherman
DJ Sherman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Wonderful report, DJS....it's great to have our #1 fan lurking on the Cali campuses.  Very Happy  Looking forward to further reports....and pictures!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluff dweller Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:10 pm

DJ Sherman wrote:Sorry for the delayed report since focus has shifted to the Invite.

Stanford - Page 3 08311311

By chance I managed to be with the Drum Squad for the match, which, among other things, let me get the above picture. Of course wearing purple camo pants and an PN shirt didn't hurt.

It was fun to be back with the kilted drummers (sans drums) and see the development of some ideas that could be and possibly have been used this weekend.  One is based off the Proclaimers I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) co-opting the lyrics to something like driving ~600 miles just to see Pilots win this game.

Other contributions like "You Have No History" despite standing near their 2011 National Title banner and the "You'll Never Win here Anyway" part of the "Glory Glory" chant a multi-season home winning streak showed not every suggestion is a gem.

Stanford's goal came off a potential handball call in which a Stanford arm, possibly Rosen, deflected the ball down to her feet. It might have been incidental but the line judge wasn't close enough to see anything. Nevertheless getting a point to break the home opener winning streak dating back to 1988 was worth the drive.

Villa also starts scouting at a young age.

Stanford - Page 3 08311312

Stanford's visitor accommodations seemed to be of a different standard.

Stanford - Page 3 08311313

Overall it was great to sample the college enthusiasm again.  I plan to be in Stockton to help rewelcome Pacific to the WCC October 5th. For those planning to go, admission is free!
Awesome. thanks!

Bluff dweller
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-09-09

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3