Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current state of the program

+23
Urika
bullwinkle
Pilot60
DaTruRochin
mattywizz
writerpilot
Stonehouse
goldhelmet
blacksheep
oldtimer
bctigard
newpilotfan
DTLegend
Another Pilot Fan
PurplePrideTrumpet
NoPoNeighbor
Woodless!
pilotram
Geezaldinho
dholcombe
wrv
DoubleDipper
PilotNut
27 posters

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

Current state of the program - Page 8 Empty Re: Current state of the program

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:50 am

Funny, I though Timmy's problem was that he stopped talking care of the ball and made more turnovers than the Pearl Bakery, not that Rev slowed him down.

And I seem do have noticed over the years that the best players on teams play defense. Koby Bryant, Michael Jordan, Scotty Pippin , and Walt Frazier didn't sit back and let the rest of the team play defense, they were the best defenders on the team.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by writerpilot Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:03 am

DTLegend wrote:This staff has been here 7 years now and all we have to show for it is a couple CBI tournament appearances. I know historically that is a step in the right direction but the past two seasons have been a giant step backwards and more of the same.

When it comes to player development I think the staff had nothing but success stories for 4 or 5 years. The past couple have been a little tough. I think that the next five seasons or so are pretty vital to UP Basketball development.

I would love to see this staff get another year to see if they can get things going back in the right direction, but I just don't think it's going to happen, particularly given we have a new AD.

The staff had the right idea, essentially following the Gonzaga model of bringing in a bunch of Northwest kids, trying to make a run, and using that momentum to get things rolling.

Using that model, Gonzaga made their NCAA Cinderella run in 1999, and we've all seen how things have since then.

Unfortunately, using a similar model, UP got to spend a day in the top 25 (or was it two?) and made two trips to the CBI. Now with Stohl, Sikma etc, gone, we're on our way to a second straight crash and burn season.

I see what Rev and Co. attempted to do, it just hasn't worked.

It's just a little sad that a few years ago we we're all worried that Rev would get hired away by a bigger program once we had success, and now we are wondering if he will even be employed come next season.
writerpilot
writerpilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:15 am

writerpilot wrote:

The staff had the right idea, essentially following the Gonzaga model of bringing in a bunch of Northwest kids, trying to make a run, and using that momentum to get things rolling.

Using that model, Gonzaga made their NCAA Cinderella run in 1999, and we've all seen how things have since then.

Funny, if you ask Gonzaga folks , some think that since 1999 was their high water mark and they haven't got there since ( which is true).

And I recall sports guys writing stories that if few doesn't make the final four or at least the elite eight this year, the program will never get there under his tenure. And the stories about him being a shoein at U of O don't have their former lustre.

It seems everyone is mired, just at different places in the road.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:21 pm

I particularly love DTL and newpilotfans' posts. I think they offer some terrific insight.

That being said, I think some of the best coaches learn to understand what their players are good at and adapt the style of offense to fit those players. What I feel is that we have guys that want to play up-tempo. Ultimately, it is the coaches decision and I respect it. These guys know way more about basketball then I ever will.

On another note... I know this won't be popular to say, but I have noticed over the last few seasons that the Gonzaga and BYU fans really support their team (you could argue that they have something to cheer for). They don't sit idly by while their team plays. It wouldn't hurt for all the fans to get in on cheers that the student section starts (whenever they do try to start chants) especially when they are outnumbered 10:1 by the other teams fans.

That's all I have to say.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks for your input. The 20 guys in togas were great. Whatever The rest of the student body was chanting, they couldn't be heard from the chiles center. They were at a dance.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:52 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Thanks for your input. The 20 guys in togas were great. Whatever The rest of the student body was chanting, they couldn't be heard from the chiles center. They were at a dance.

The Dance might have been a factor. Another that I think might be true (although one school's fans would disagree) is that BYU really just isn't a draw for students. Last year's game had better attendance from students, but so did the game as a whole. Only 3,000 in Chiles for BYU this year? Maybe it's because no one really cares anymore that they are in our conference. They just aren't Gonzaga or St. Mary's. Who knows? Just my thoughts.

This probably should go under the BYU thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:26 pm

newpilotfan - I wasn't being overly sensitive. I responded to what you wrote, which if you read what you wrote, what you meant - while it may have been clear to you in your mind - didn't come across that way in print.

Regarding "getting better recruits", why is that not helpful to discuss? I never said that I was talking about 5 star recruits. Obviously, we are not going to compete for those kind of players. But as I stated before, there are hundreds of thousands of very good basketball players out there. They are out there, and they would be an upgrade. It's not any single one thing or area - it's a combination of NW players, hitting California very, very hard, Europe, Australia, and all over the U.S. domestically. If the recruiting budget is indeed not the problem, then that shouldn't be an issue. If it is, then maybe the administration needs to re-evaluate what it takes to be competitive in the present and future day WCC.
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:04 pm

Thank you everyone for your continued input on this topic. It is important for us to be able to let our feelings & concerns on this topic be known... and let us remember that while we may not all agree, we can agree that we all have passion for the program and want to see it improve.

Please remember to contact the Athletic Director to let your voice be heard: LINK

Let Scott know you care and want to see the program succeed. It does not need to be anything fancy; an e-mail with your thoughts will go a long way... I have a feeling that we are in fact being heard!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:41 pm

An_Undergrad wrote:
PurpleGeezer wrote:Thanks for your input. The 20 guys in togas were great. Whatever The rest of the student body was chanting, they couldn't be heard from the chiles center. They were at a dance.

The Dance might have been a factor. Another that I think might be true (although one school's fans would disagree) is that BYU really just isn't a draw for students. Last year's game had better attendance from students, but so did the game as a whole. Only 3,000 in Chiles for BYU this year? Maybe it's because no one really cares anymore that they are in our conference. They just aren't Gonzaga or St. Mary's. Who knows? Just my thoughts.

This probably should go under the BYU thread.

You may be right about no one caring about BYU. They have no commitment to the conference and haven't from day 1.

I'm just tired about some undergrad telling me the problem is the season ticket holders. Some of us have plunked down more money over the years to watch horrible teams than students pay for tuition. I didn't even go to the damn place and I support the team more than most students.

This is your school. Take responsibility for it. When the student section is full and loud, the players do better.

But don't whine about how we haven't held up or end when .06% of the student body shows up. The problem isn't the supporters at the game, it's the ones that aren't, and by definition aren't supporters.

Kudos again to the 20 toga guys. Too bad you don't have more help.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:02 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:But don't whine about how we haven't held up or end when .06% of the student body shows up.
Only 2 and a third students show up??

3,911 x .06% = 2.35

At least, that's what my UP math degree taught me. Laughing

Other than the math, your point is good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:06 pm

up7587 wrote:
PurpleGeezer wrote:But don't whine about how we haven't held up or end when .06% of the student body shows up.
Only 2 and a third students show up??

3,911 x .06% = 2.35

At least, that's what my UP math degree taught me. Laughing

Other than the math, your point is good.

I told you I didn't go to UP Wink

But I'll bet there was a game or two where that standard was met. I'm going to start posting a picture each game of the student section during the National Anthem.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:42 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:
But don't whine about how we haven't held up our end when .06% of the student body shows up with less than .06% BAC. The problem isn't the supporters at the game, it's the ones that aren't, and by definition aren't supporters.

Kudos again to the 20 toga guys. Too bad you don't have more help.

Fixed that for you.

Wikipedia assures me that .06% will lead to extroversion and disinhibition. So loud cheering and less sitting. Sounds good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Maybe the 20 enthusiastic toga guys is better.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:26 pm

Enjoy.

http://www.kgw.com/sports/sports-sunday/one-on-one/One-On-One-With-Eric-Reveno-188699341.html
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:28 am

Regarding "getting better recruits", why is that not helpful to discuss? I never said that I was talking about 5 star recruits. Obviously, we are not going to compete for those kind of players. But as I stated before, there are hundreds of thousands of very good basketball players out there. They are out there, and they would be an upgrade. It's not any single one thing or area - it's a combination of NW players, hitting California very, very hard, Europe, Australia, and all over the U.S. domestically. If the recruiting budget is indeed not the problem, then that shouldn't be an issue. If it is, then maybe the administration needs to re-evaluate what it takes to be competitive in the present and future day WCC.

Let me clarify what I meant in my comments of discussing better recruits not helping. What I meant is that the chances of us getting a top ranked recruiting class is pretty slim. We're not attracting the Jabari Parker's or Andrew Wiggins' of the world. Our strategy is searching out "high ceiling" guys, or "Liam Neeson" recruits, that is recruits with a certain set of skills. I think that discussing the staff's ability to accurately evaluate these skills/potential is a valid point. Or discussing the staff's ability to develop that talent. But I think saying why aren't we getting top level talent isn't worth discussing. I think we are on the same page, I just did a poor job of speaking what I meant.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:12 am

Can this guy recruit for us? "I will find you."

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:52 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Maybe the 20 enthusiastic toga guys is better.
Rev too liked the Villa Drum Squad in togas.

Current state of the program - Page 8 Villa11

Note the guys in front; I noticed there were several of those people wearing that question on their jackets/sweaters/caps, etc........ Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:12 pm

The fellow next to Rev is David Carr, who also went over to greet the Togas.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Not that it directly relates to the question of the state of the Pilot basketball program, but for comparison sake it is noteworthy that the fans at USF are growing impatient. The opening post to a recent thread stated:

I like Walters, but think it's time for Sidwell to start looking for a new coach. 67-75 record with only two tournament appearances (CIT and CBI)in the past 5 years. People - 5 years is a long time. How much longer are we going to give Rex to turn this program around? Another 3 - 5 years? Keep in mind, I'm not just saying this because of the Don's losing record. (I) Never really had a good vibe from Walters when we signed him 5 years ago.

Are we in the great northwest more patient? For my money, I would like to see Reveno continue.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:03 pm

wrv wrote: (I) Never really had a good vibe from Walters when we signed him 5 years ago.

Are we in the great northwest more patient? For my money, I would like to see Reveno continue.
Face it, very few think very highly of Rex....I think even less of him.

But I will say this for him....he doesn't mind being a jerk or acting like one to get what he wants. It's no secret that he was recruiting replacement players even before he ran off many of last year's players who "decided to transfer.” And he’s made it work; this year’s team is better than last year’s for the most part.

Rev is wonderful coach and mentor, and represents UP in the best possible manner. As much as I hate losing, even more than I like winning, I'm for keeping Rev, come hell or high water.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:23 pm

wrv wrote:Not that it directly relates to the question of the state of the Pilot basketball program, but for comparison sake it is noteworthy that the fans at USF are growing impatient. The opening post to a recent thread stated:

I like Walters, but think it's time for Sidwell to start looking for a new coach. 67-75 record with only two tournament appearances (CIT and CBI)in the past 5 years. People - 5 years is a long time. How much longer are we going to give Rex to turn this program around? Another 3 - 5 years? Keep in mind, I'm not just saying this because of the Don's losing record. (I) Never really had a good vibe from Walters when we signed him 5 years ago.

How many of the last 5 seasons has Rex won 20 games or more?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:30 pm

Or not acted like a jack@$$ on the sideline?

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:56 pm

up7587 wrote:Or not acted like a jack@$$ on the sideline?
Zero.

I think RW is an embarassment to their program. I am amazed that he is allowed to continue to berate his players and swear like he does.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:04 pm

We are no longer even competitive with a mid-tier WCC team. pale

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Current state of the program - Page 8 Empty Now You've Done It

Post by bullwinkle Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:32 pm

As Sharon Stone said to Arnold Schwarzenegger in Total Recall, "Now you've done it! Now you've really done it." I've been a quiet reader of this chatroom for years - appeciative, bemused, and entertained. But looking at the write-up of tonight's game and the popularity of comments in this thread that it's the quality of our recruits that are causing our woes, I was driven me to respond. Here's my question: Which of the following leaves you feeling the same way you did when your puppy left a puddle in your shoe?
A. Derrick Rodgers walking the ball up the court?
B. Four pilots lined up along the free throw line to start an offensive play
C. Any inbounds play under our basket
D. Any Pilot at the freethrow line
E. All of the above.

Offense? What offense? Last I heard we had the third best defense in the conference. That's remarkable and a testimony to our coaches and the quality of our players. But I looked up each of our coaches to see which one is our offensive specialist - we've got recruitment, development, use of technology, conditioning, and operations locked up. Where's the offense? I love to watch BYU and St. Mary's play. There's constant motion, fluidity, opportunity. Most of our players look lost after the first half of a play breaks down, they're afraid to shoot, and our best three point shooter hasn't seen enough minutes in a game to make a soft boiled egg.

And who is to blame for our poor record and poor performance? The recruits, the inadequate facility, the poor student attendance, the small budget? Nah. It's the boss. The same guy that turned our program around a few years ago. He's an incredible guy. But is he responsible after seven years for the won-loss record of the team? Absolutely. He knows it. His staff know it. The AD knows it. Should he be fired? I don't know. We all have our ups and downs. To me the question is what has he learned from this and what is he doing about it? To coach here in these times, he has to be a change agent and a leader, so step up and lead and change.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next