Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs. Portland State (Wednesday, Nov. 21 @ 7:00)

+7
PurplePrideTrumpet
oh brody
DaTruRochin
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
11 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Pilots vs. Portland State (Wednesday, Nov. 21 @ 7:00) - Page 3 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Portland State (Wednesday, Nov. 21 @ 7:00)

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:48 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Have to go with my head over my heart; I personally pick the Vikings by 14……….easy money! Evil or Very Mad

Hard to disagree...but would like nothing better than to see a good win so that the New Mexico game thread isn't filled with discussion on how to jump start a flatlined offence!

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Portland State (Wednesday, Nov. 21 @ 7:00) - Page 3 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Portland State (Wednesday, Nov. 21 @ 7:00)

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Okay, this is wayyyyyyyyyyy better already. Pushing the tempo a lot, leading 19-11 eight minutes in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:50 pm

PilotNut wrote:I can't remember the last time one of our bigs caught the ball up high (or a rebound) and immediately shot or made a lay in. scratch

Nicholas gave you two of these in the first half tonight....one early with a little baby hook off an entry pass, and one on the last possession after grabbing an offensive board.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:54 pm

This is a sight for sore eyes....51-30 Pilots at the half.

Riley 6-for-6 from the field including four three-pointers for 16 points. Only FOUR turnovers as a team. Thieleke with a rare start and is 4-for-4 with four assists.

This team has addressed every concern in here for the first 20 minutes of play. Hopefully that continues for a full 40-minute effort.

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:02 pm

Good win Pilots!!!

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:30 pm

So that's what it's like to enjoy Pilot basketball! I could get used to that!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:39 pm

Wow, now THAT is the Pilot team I was expecting this year... in control from tip to buzzer tonight!

For those that listened to the pre game show, Rev, his staff and the team executed their exact game plan tonight.. attack, play with intensity, control turnovers. Rev was on fire tonight, firing up the players on the floor & on the bench... not to mention the crowd!

Tanner was on fire tonight... Korey Thieleke was a spark with his start. I hardly noticed that Ryan Nicholas was only 3-11 tonight; everyone else filled in that gap.

Well done, PILOTS!

The big question: Can we replicate this performance again, and especially on the road?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:51 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Las Vegas now has the Pilots by 3.5.

Have to go with my head over my heart; I personally pick the Vikings by 14……….easy money! Evil or Very Mad
NO FAIR; that wasn't the Pilots playing tonight, was it? All bets were off as soon as Korey and Kevin showed up with all the energy they'd been storing during the first three games. Korey is by far the best and most athletic defensive player the Pilots have in PRACTICE, and tonight he brought that energy to his FIRST start as a Pilot....and it worked; he set the tone for the game.

There will be lots of superlatives posted here, but not withstanding his numbers....Ryan was still the middle of it all as the Captain! PSU keyed on him with double coverage always leaving someone open, and when he missed his shots UP usually got the rebounds with Ryan’s two defenders out of position.

Lots of fun tonight; thanks Pilots.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:03 pm

Tanner Riley: 8-8 from the floor, 4-4 from 3, 3-3 from the stripe.

Korey Thieleke: 4-5 from the floor, 1-1 from 3, 4 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks.
It's great to see Korey make the most of his opportunity!

Bill Johnson mentioned it on the post-game show... the Pilots were never not in control... it was great to see the Pilots squash the PSU efforts to make a run early in the 2nd half; we never lost control.

The turkey and stuffing will be all the more tasty tomorrow!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:05 pm

Lot of positives going into Sunday against what'll be a pretty tough New Mexico team.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:24 pm

PilotNut wrote:Tanner Riley: 8-8 from the floor, 4-4 from 3, 3-3 from the stripe.
Twenty three points in 23 minutes for Tanner. We know he’s a streaky shooter, and we know he suffers from a confidence loss when he’s not hitting. A tip of the cap to Tanner tonight for coming back from his worst defensive and offensive game as a Pilot against MSU.

Kind of funny start for Tanner, banked in his first three, but after that it was nothing but net! cheers
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:29 pm

I thought for a while he was inspired by Jack Taylor.

And they were really moving the ball. For a bit I thought they were trying out Grinnell's 12 seconds to shoot offense.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:31 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

Kind of funny start for Tanner, banked in his first three, but after that it was nothing but net! cheers

My section was pretty sure he called bank.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:38 pm

UP Recap:

Riley Doesn’t Miss as Pilots Pound Vikings

PORTLAND, Ore. --- Junior guard Tanner Riley did not miss a shot en route to a game-high 23 points off the bench as the University of Portland Pilots knocked off cross town rival Portland State, 81-60, Wednesday night at the Chiles Center. Riley was 8-for-8 from the field, made all four of his three-point attempts and three free throws in a career-high performance.

The Pilots (2-2) were efficient offensively from start-to-finish, jumping out to a double digit lead early and extending it to a 51-30 margin at the half. Riley, coming off the bench for the first time this season, provided a spark by making all four of his three-pointers in the period and matching his career high of 16 points.

The margin would grow to as much as 25 points in the second half as the Pilots cruised to victory.

Portland had many players step up, including junior guard Korey Thieleke who made his first start of the season. The Bakersfield, Calif. native recorded career-bests in all offensive categories with nine points, three rebounds, four assists, two blocked shots and two steals. He played 23 minutes before leg cramps sidelined him late.

Sophomore guard Kevin Bailey added 14 points, including three emphatic dunks to ignite the crowd.

Leading scorer Ryan Nicholas struggled from the field (3-11), but still nearly finished with a double-double of 10 points and nine rebounds.

As a team, the Pilots shot a season-best 52 percent from the field and went 5-of-10 from three-point range. Portland also addressed its early season turnover issues by committing just 12 in a fast paced game, while racking up 22 assists. The Pilots also dominated the boards with a 40-30 rebounding margin.

Defensively, the Pilots held the Vikings (1-2) to 36 percent from the field and forced 15 turnovers.

Dre Winston led PSU with 13 points, while Michael Harthun added 11.

Portland will next face a stiff road test on Sunday against the undefeated New Mexico Lobos (4-0) at The Pit. UNM recently knocked off No. 21 Connecticut to win the Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands. The game tips off at 5 p.m. and pre-game coverage begins at 4:30 p.m. on TrueTalk 800 AM. The contest will be televised live on ROOT SPORTS (Rocky Mountain).

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:47 pm

And from the dwellers across the river:
Portland, OR - Portland's Tanner Riley has a lot to be thankful for after his performance on Wednesday night in an 81-60 Pilot win over Portland State at the Chiles Center.

Despite being pulled from the starting lineup, Riley came off the Pilot bench to ignite the offense in the first half. Riley hit four straight three-point field goals and by halftime had a career-high 16 points. Riley finished the night perfect from the field, hitting 8-8 shots, 4-4 three-pointers and 3-3 at the free throw line for a game-high 23 points in 23 minutes. 

His effort was part of a hot shooting start by Portland, including 13 of 15  from the field over the first 10 minutes. The Pilots jumped to a 32-15 lead and the Vikings did not have enough offense to get back into it.

Early double-team pressure all over the floor got Portland State out of its offense. The Vikings had trouble getting good shots and the inside game was almost non-existent.

The Pilots carried the momentum all the way to halftime, making 21 of their first 27 shots and leading 49-25 with 2:31 to play. They went into the locker room ahead, 51-30.

Portland's offensive outburst was a surprise as the Pilots came into the game averaging only 55.7 points and shooting 24% from three-point range. On the other end, the Vikings made only 10 of 31 first-half shots.

Portland State briefly pulled within 15 in the second half, but never seriously threatened. Portland's largest lead was by 25 points on three occasions in the second half.

For the game, PSU was outshot by the Pilots, .517 to .357. Portland also won the rebounding battle, 40-30.

"Not great effort, not great energy to start the game for us," said Viking Coach Tyler Geving. "Portland came out with it, and it showed. They were ready to go and more prepared than us, so that falls on me to get the team better prepared.

"It didn't really matter what defense we were in in the first half. If you don't have the energy to defend that is the result you are going to get."

In addition to Riley's 23, Kevin Bailey scored 14 points for Portland. Ryan Nicholas added 10 points and nine rebounds.

Dre Winston led Portland State with 13 points, seven rebounds and three steals. Michael Harthun added 11 points and Renado Parker scored 10 for the Vikings.

Portland improved to 2-2 with the win, while the Vikings dropped to 1-2.

GAME NOTES: Portland lead the all-time series, 32-17. Since PSU reinstated basketball in 1996-97, the Pilots lead the series, 9-7, including 6-2 at the Chiles Center… the Vikings have lost four straight road games dating to last season... Portland State plays at Oklahoma State this Sunday in a game that tips off at 11 a.m. PT. It will air on Freedom 970 AM and www.freedom970.com.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:08 pm

Great job, coaches! The entire bench was fired up tonight, from the top down.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Talked to Tim after the game....he told me PSU was trying to play a zone defense, but the Pilots intense defensive effort made for quick transitions and left the Vikings no way to set themselves.

And finally, "We'll get you next year at our place."

We both laughed. Smile
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:31 pm

Finally had a chance to look at the stats:

Overall, the Pilots had 40 scores in 72 possessions for a 112.5 offensive efficiency...that’s considerably better than their performance in the first three games.

Coming into the game the Pilots were ranked 336/347 in the nation in turnover percentage at 29%....tonight they had 12 turnovers with a 16.7% efficiency; 22 assists is a very nice number.

One final number that stands out...44 points in the paint; 23 from Ryan, Riley, and Thomas combined...nice!

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:54 pm

Asked one of the assistants before the game about K Bailey's turnovers, the sloppy passing, and the missed lob passes to the post players......he said those were the most worked on items of all since last Sunday!

Canceled practice one day, and K Bailey and Korey did nothing but practice passing to the post using a volleyball trainer of some sort. Kevin had ZERO turnovers in 25 minutes after 12 in the first three games; Korey had only 1 turnover in 23 minutes.

After the MSU game, Coach Rev didn't yell or get upset, but did have a very LONG and frank discussion about need for intensity for 40 minutes and many of the things we discussed on PN after that game.

It would appear the staff saw the same stuff the "experts" on PN saw from the previous games.....good to know, particularly as we began giving them a bad time after the MSU game.

Next challenge, going on the road to Albuquerque to face a top 35 team
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:04 am

So I make game thread, Pilots respond with best game of the year.

Do I keep rolling until I bust, or should I save the magic for key matchups?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:07 am

I wouldn't worry about UNM or UK, but everyone else, go for it!

And DD, do you need to keep using the nosebleed seats now?

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:21 am

up7587 wrote:And DD, do you need to keep using the nosebleed seats now?
Did you mean to say, "DD, YOU NEED to keep using the nosebleed seats now! Razz

I've got to say you can yell all you want sitting up there and it doesn't seem to offend the people in front of you...I'm just not sure the refs could hear me. Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:26 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:So I make game thread, Pilots respond with best game of the year.

Do I keep rolling until I bust, or should I save the magic for key matchups?
Speaking as one of those who at times begins a Men's Basketball thread, I say, "You've got the stick." I'm sure PilotNut and others will jump in if need be, but with the cold Regina winter setting in, you've got to have something "productive" to do!! Cool

Well done; keep it going!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:31 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:

This team has addressed every concern in here for the first 20 minutes of play. Hopefully that continues for a full 40-minute effort.

It was a good sign the first time I saw a post player go straight up to the basket without pump faking or putting the ball on the floor. Even better when the guards drove all the way into the lane instead of pulling up.

Lots of guys had great games tonight but Thieleke made the most of his chance to start. He was all over the court and filled all the good columns on the stat sheet.

PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:52 am

Great showing last night, and props to UP for putting up an online stream of these last two games for us out of towners.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next