Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Track & Field

3 posters

Go down

Track & Field Empty Track & Field

Post by OldePilot Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:08 pm

I received the newest Portland magazine today and noted the passing of Mike Boyle, Class of 66. Mike was a good all-around athlete from Billings, Montana. He made his mark in Track and Field, still holding the UP long jump record, set in 1965. Mike also holds top ten spots in the 400 and the 400 Intermediate Hurdles.

Hopefully some other PN elders remember Mike.
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Track & Field Empty Re: Track & Field

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:46 pm

Mike and I were classmates at UP.

It is my recollection that Mike was an engineering major. After graduating from UP Mike went to work for the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, eventually transferred to Bangor, Maine in 1983, and to Kingsbay, GA in 1987. He was greatly enjoying his retirement in Aransas Pass, Texas where he designed and managed the Palms RV Park at the time of his death at age 68.

Another fine Boyle runner was Mike's younger sister Trisha (Lightel); also a UP grad now living in Scottsdale, AZ.

Yes, I remember Mike (and Trisha).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 28, 2015 12:26 pm

As the high school spring sports come to a conclusion with the regional and state tournaments, there have been a number of UP recruits mentioned in articles as winning one thing or another in track and field.  Although I don't usually pay attention to T&F, the performance of UP recruit Cortney Vacek caught my attention....
HILLSBORO TRIBUNE PHOTO: ZACK PALMER - Glencoe senior Courtney Vacek takes flight during the girls triple jump competition on Saturday at the Class 6A track and field state meet at Hayward Field in Eugene. Vacek won her second straight championship with a leap of 39 feet, 4 inches, which ties her for the fifth-best mark in Oregon history.
Track & Field 00003512
http://www.pamplinmedia.com/ht/120-hillsboro-tribune-sports/262002-134334-vacek-wins-second-consecutive-triple-jump-title
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:21 pm

At the NCAA T&F championships today in Eugene:
@KenGoe wrote:Great effort by University of Portland's Will Kinkaid, who made a gutty bid around the final turn of 5k. Finishes 5th. Not on form charts.

Scott Leykam @slaykem wrote:Great job by Woody Kincaid to represent the @PortlandPilots proud and finish 5th at NCAA Championships in the 5000 in Eugene on ESPN.

Back to top Go down

Post by Corrado Kid Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:37 pm

Nice going, Woody!

Corrado Kid
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2015-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:48 pm

News from the 2017 NCAA Outdoor T&F championships:
http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2017/6/9/thies-and-schutte-claim-all-american-honors-at-ncaa-championships.aspx

Guess that means the Pilots scored team points.

Back to top Go down