Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scott Leykam named new UP Athletic Director

3 posters

Go down

Scott Leykam named new UP Athletic Director Empty Scott Leykam named new UP Athletic Director

Post by Stonehouse Fri May 04, 2012 4:30 pm

From the release:

University of Portland has named Scott Leykam as the next athletic director, University President Rev. E. William Beauchamp, C.S.C. announced Friday. Leykam has been with the West Coast Conference since 2008, serving first as the conference’s associate commissioner for external relations, and most recently as senior associate commissioner for external relations.

A press conference has been scheduled for Tuesday, May 8 at 2 p.m. in the Hall of Fame Room of the Chiles Center to officially introduce Leykam. He will begin at UP on July 1 and report directly to the President.

"We feel very fortunate and blessed to welcome Scott into the University of Portland community,” Beauchamp said. “I had the privilege of reviewing and meeting with many talented and well-qualified candidates. I also consulted with our search committee, composed of individuals who represent the UP community and are committed to its success. After their thorough and comprehensive review and my own interviews, I am confident that Scott Leykam has the skills and vision to take UP athletics to the next level."

"Scott truly understands the unique Catholic character of the University of Portland and what makes us special; namely, a commitment to successful athletics and the growth and development of our student-athletes as whole persons."

During his time with the WCC, Leykam oversaw the conference’s television partnerships, marketing, digital media initiatives, media relations, corporate sponsorships, branding, championships, and scheduling. Leykam served as the conference liaison to the head coaches for baseball and men’s and women’s soccer and played a key role in successful negotiations with ESPN that resulted in the highest rights fee and the most annual appearances in conference history.

" I could not be happier – both for Scott and the University of Portland," said West Coast Conference Commissioner Jamie Zaninovich. "Scott's contributions to the conference have been remarkable and I look forward to witnessing his immediate, positive impact on the Portland athletics program. We benefit from outstanding institutional leadership throughout our membership, and Scott will certainly add to that group."

Leykam graduated from Saint Mary’s College of California in 1995 with a Bachelor of Arts degree. Prior to his career in collegiate athletics, Leykam served as a sports writer, section editor, and desk editor at the Contra Costa Times, Antioch Daily Ledger, Pittsburgh Post Dispatch, and Brentwood News. Leykam then worked as co-media relations director and then director of annual giving in the Stanford University athletic department, while also teaching a course in sports journalism at Saint Mary’s College. In his time with Stanford, Leykam oversaw a 222 percent increase in donations to the athletic department annual fund.

"It is an honor to accept the athletic director position at the University of Portland,” Leykam said. “I'm excited about joining an athletic department with both a rich history of success and a bright future ahead as we aim to be leaders on and off the field of play through athletic and academic excellence, innovation and collaboration. I will look back very fondly at my time at the West Coast Conference and am grateful to get the chance to continue to work with my colleagues throughout the WCC."

Leykam currently serves on the NCAA Championships and Sports Management Cabinet.

Leykam and his wife, Amy, have three children: Austin, Tyler, and Allison.

http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2012/5/4/GEN_0504121212.aspx
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Scott Leykam named new UP Athletic Director Empty Re: Scott Leykam named new UP Athletic Director

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 04, 2012 4:53 pm

I gotta say, he knows his way around, and can apparently raise money -- seems like a very nice fit for UP.

I met Scott many, many years ago when he was working for the Contra Costa Times, and have to admit I never thought I'd see him as the UP AD, but he was about 23 years-old at the time.

Welcome Scott; gentlemen open your wallets!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Scott Leykam named new UP Athletic Director Empty Re: Scott Leykam named new UP Athletic Director

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2012 9:01 pm

Stonehouse - a writer? Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri May 04, 2012 9:08 pm

up7587 wrote:Stonehouse - a writer? Suspect

Sometimes. But not this time. Wink
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2012 9:47 pm

Yeah, I figured I expressed that poorly. I meant, we hired a writer to be our new AD?

Obviously, I am not a writer.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat May 05, 2012 8:44 am

A writer who knows how to fund raise.... And with the river project coming up, that is exactly what we need!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:07 pm

From the Beacon today:
From the students in the stands, the athletes making them cheer to the workers selling hotdogs, new University of Portland Athletic Director Scott Leykam is looking to bring positive changes and an increased sense of community.

“I want to enhance the fan, alumni and community impact. From concessions to tickets to parking to timeouts, we will do everything in our power to make people want to come back,” Leykam said.

This summer, UP President Fr. Bill Beauchamp announced his choice for the Athletic Director position to the UP community. Leykam is filling the vacancy left by current Marquette athletic director, Larry Williams.

Leykam’s prior experiences include working for Stanford University from 1995-2008, primarily being involved with public relations and fundraising for the athletic department. His most recent experience has been in the West Coast Conference working as an associate commissioner and senior associate commissioner for the Conference.

In working with the WCC, Leykam already has connections with UP’s athletic staff, which has given him an idea of what the program is like currently and the direction it is intending to go.

“Coming in, I had already worked with the University’s athletic department so it has been a lot of testing assumptions,” Leykam said. “In some cases, I am correct and in others it’s good to investigate. A big part of the job is taking in as much info as you can. I am fortunate to follow people like Larry [Williams] and Joe Etzel, who did very good things with the job.”

The staff is just as excited for Leykam to join and contribute to University of Portland athletics.

“He is familiar with the conference and the competition, so he will be able to hit the ground running,” men’s basketball head coach Eric Reveno said. “He knows each department and what we do well, so he has a good feel for UP. I’m excited for his vision to build on being UP, not copying other programs.”

Leykam has plans on enhancing the careers of UP athletes and fans alike by being open and accommodating to all students.

“I want to offer a first class student-athlete experience, from recruiting to graduation, allowing student-athletes the most success possible when leaving The Bluff,” Leykam said. “I want to have a campus impact. We have an opportunity to play a positive role on campus life for every student worker, student-athlete and all of our fans.”

Together, Reveno and Leykam are looking to reach out to students and hear ideas that will improve the fan experience.

“[Leykam] is very open to meet with student groups who want to get involved with athletics,” Reveno said. “If students see opportunities to build on the fan experience, he has an open door and he’ll spend the time to get to know you and hear your ideas.”

Leykam cites the soccer program as a leader and building point for the student fan base to extend into other sports because of its national success and recognition.

“The role students play for our soccer program is special. Now what if we carry it over to sports like basketball?” Leykam said. “I will take the opportunity to meet with key student leaders to move that forward.”

Leykam’s open door approach to students and the athletic department is sure to bring some positive additions to the Pilot fan and athlete experience, allowing UP to continue expanding its growth in WCC competition.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down