Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

March Madness Thread

+9
DJ Sherman
onetouchfutbol
Rob's Jacket
mattywizz
PurplePrideTrumpet
pilotram
DoubleDipper
Geezaldinho
ShipstadPilot11
13 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

March Madness Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: March Madness Thread

Post by Guest Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:29 pm

Poor John Canzano. We're just not doing enough so he can go to major sporting events free. Too bad we're not even trying to win games; after all, building a successful program and consistently getting to the big dance is easy. Just ask John. Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Poor John. But not all his thoughts are wacky..................

March Madness Thread - Page 4 John_a10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:38 am

Been waiting for DJ Sherman to post-up, but he's probably studying after UP's spring break.

LMU is the only WCC men's team still in postseason play. In CIT action they defeated Webers State on Sunday in LA 84-78 in OT. Drew Viney had 23 and Anthony Ireland 20. LMU (21-12) next visits Utah State on Wednesday.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:25 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Been waiting for DJ Sherman to post-up, but he's probably studying after UP's spring break.

He's got Mid-Majority recaps to write. Wink
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:09 am

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:
pilotram wrote:Southern Miss bringing their finest fans to the game.
https://youtu.be/w7FnxjfLXkY
Stay classy, Mississippi.
From CNN today (edited):
Five members of the University of Southern Mississippi pep band have had their scholarships revoked and have been removed from the band after they yelled a derogatory chant at a Puerto Rican player during an NCAA basketball tournament game last week.

The students will also be required to complete a two-hour training course on cultural sensitivity, the school said. The school has not identified the students.

TV cameras captured the incident during the University of Southern Mississippi-Kansas State University game at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh on Thursday.

As Kansas State point guard Angel Rodriguez shot free throws, several people could clearly be heard chanting, "Where’s your green card."

Rodriguez said Friday, "I heard it. I don't pay attention to that nonsense, especially because Puerto Rico is a commonwealth, so we don't need no type of papers."

"Their athletic director and personnel from their school came to apologize, and I accepted it," he said.

Rodriguez said he realized that there are "ignorant people, and I know that is not how they want to represent their university."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:17 am

Wow, a very strong response from the school--while I am glad to see this dealt with, I have to wonder... if it was a few baksetball or football players chanting that, would they have had their scholarships revoked? I doubt it.

Good reponse from Rodriguez, as well.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:47 am

Lost in all the hubbub of the last 24 hours - LMU lost at Utah State on Wednesday night 77-69 in a CIT game.

There are no WCC men's teams left in the post season!

(The Gonzaga and San Diego women are still alive).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:32 am

Part of the madness that is March Madness is of course the transferring of student/athletes and the changes in coaches.

I saw today where pilotram and Colorado State will be losing Coach Tim Miles after five years and their run to the NCAA tournament. I'm sure Nebraska will double his salary, but will he have as much fun!

I know that Rev is a friend of Coach Miles; maybe we'll get a home-and-home; we could use a Big Ten game at the Chiles Center Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:21 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I know that Rev is a friend of Coach Miles; maybe we'll get a home-and-home; we could use a Big Ten game at the Chiles Center Very Happy
Did we get a home-and-home with Colorado State while Miles was the coach there?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Nope! But I know they tried last year (or was it the year before?); they just couldn't find mutual dates.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:43 pm

We apparently have that problem with Oregon and OSU.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Final Four this weekend. How crazy will the UK -Louisville game be?

louisville-cardinals-fan-punches-kentucky-wildcats-fan-dialysis-clinic

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:29 pm

I didn't give a damn.

My Pilotnation bracket went out in the first weekend with Duke and Missou.

I now hate those teams with a passion.

My Pub bracket, which had a keg of Pliny on the line, went out with that scalawag Roy Williams and his UNC team

They can all rot in hell for all I care.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:02 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:I didn't give a damn.

My Pilotnation bracket went out in the first weekend with Duke and Missou.

I now hate those teams with a passion.

My Pub bracket, which had a keg of Pliny on the line, went out with that scalawag Roy Williams and his UNC team

They can all rot in hell for all I care.
Well, as long as you're keeping perspective, OK, then. affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Did I mention I was in first place until the UNC game and was the only guy who had them picked to move on?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:57 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Did I mention I was in first place until the UNC game and was the only guy who had them picked to move on?
I guess it would be great to have such a good team that your guys can play in the NBA, and losing a bunch of starters makes for opportunities, but............

UNC just put out a release that the trio of Harrison Barnes, John Henson and Kendall Marshall (his broken wrist probably kept UNC from the Final Four) are all gone to the NBA. Combined with the graduations of Tyler Zeller and Justin Watts, plus the possible departure of freshman James Michael McAdoo for the NBA Draft, Roy Williams and his staff will face their third full-scale rebuilding project since he became coach in 2003.

Well, we're losing Tim, but how many PN regulars would prefer losing so many quality players to the NBA over being really, really competitive in the WCC?

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:22 pm

UNC is more like Kentucky. KU plans on a significant number of their players being one and done. They are so good this year because some players who would of left last year didn't due to NBA cap issues, etc.

I will be much more interested in how Rex Walters rebuilds USF than how Roy Williams rebuilds UNC.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:40 pm

up7587 wrote:I will be much more interested in how Rex Walters rebuilds USF than how Roy Williams rebuilds UNC.
It is my understanding, after talking to my friend in the Bay Area, who first tipped me off about the six defections, that Rex the Wonder Coach actually had five or six commitments from new players for next year with only three available scholorships before the requests for transfer.

I know nothing of all the in's and out's of stocking-up and sheltering players, but I'm told GU is quite good at it, or was at one time.

March Madness Thread - Page 4 Shelte10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:03 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:I will be much more interested in how Rex Walters rebuilds USF than how Roy Williams rebuilds UNC.
It is my understanding, after talking to my friend in the Bay Area, who first tipped me off about the six defections, that Rex the Wonder Coach actually had five or six commitments from new players for next year with only three available scholorships before the requests for transfer.

I know nothing of all the in's and out's of stocking-up and sheltering players, but I'm told GU is quite good at it, or was at one time.

March Madness Thread - Page 4 Shelte10
Then it makes sense that so many guys are leaving. Some of them probably knew their scholarships weren't being renewed.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Pretty rough way to go as a Junior... I hope these new recruits are worth it. The last thing a coach wants to do is get a reputation for pulling scholarships.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:20 pm

Still part of a slow day:

After UK fans rampaged and torched Lexington, I notice Calipari, who knows so much about class, said "Our fans are the classiest fans."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:23 pm

So, we played the national champions and will do it again next season.

Now that the tournament is done and the season's officially over, here's all the Pilot games that were recapped by DJ Sherman, a couple guests, and myself, with all the gory details:

http://www.midmajority.com/t/Portland%20Pilots

They're a little out of sync because DJ Sherman sent his in after mine but every home game got covered, which is a personal point of pride for me. As a whole site we exceeded our goal with 809 games recapped.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:37 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Still part of a slow day:

After UK fans rampaged and torched Lexington, I notice Calipari, who knows so much about class, said "Our fans are the classiest fans."

From the Lexington police scanner tonight:

We've got a couch fire and another couch coming into the street....They also have a propane tank.
Neutral
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:34 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:]So, we played the national champions and will do it again next season.
Now that the tournament is done and the season's officially over, here's all the Pilot games that were recapped by DJ Sherman, a couple guests, and myself, with all the gory details:
Great work, both of you. I've saved the link so I can stop by every couple of weeks during the offseason; not because I want to relive the games (I don't), but because you guys did a great job of giving us the flavor or the mood or an inside look.

Well done! Don't know what will happen next year now that DJ is "retiring," but as he was made an honorary Pilot Club member (I hope you got the $1,000 level, DJ) maybe the two of you can continue writing (have you ever thought about getting paid by someone?). The only article that gave me a headache was the Cal Davis/Cal Riverside game during Christmas break that was in rhyming verse, as I recall. But it was a good headache.

809, that's a hell of a lot of dedication and work, but I guess I don't have to tell you that! tongue

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Sherman Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:34 am

To be fair, I barely missed the deadline on the St. Mary's game, especially with the MTO presentation from my perspective. I might post it on the message boards, in the SMC thread or on a separate blog with all my recaps.

I have yet to actually cash in on the Pilot Club membership since my fall whereabouts are still TBD. The membership is a white level (a $300 value) but really, it's the thought that counts. Regardless of my location this coming season, I will try to check in on PN even if I become the California correspondent.

Sorry again about the good headache, but trust me, I am reluctant to make that many rhymes anytime soon, but I was on break, I had nothing better to do, and Casey at the bat came to mind. At least now you know one of Davis' nicknames is the Little Tomato and when else do you get to read blotto in digital print?

I hope to continue writing to some extent. During the PSU-MSU game I was randomly contacted by the founder of an upcoming sports site, the Sports Chronicles. I have yet to press for detail on pay, but I'm in it for the fun of reporting and writing in a creative fashion. As I discovered and talked with PPT about once, I still enjoy the writing process, even if I have developed Pilot Athletic fatigue and apparently I'm decent at it. I'm not really sure why.

Remember that's 809 games and 905 recaps by 122 writers including three that broke the 50-game mark, one of whom attended and recapped 66 games!
DJ Sherman
DJ Sherman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4