Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LMU @ Portland, Thursday 2/9, 8pm

+5
IronLions
blacksheep
DoubleDipper
PilotDrummer
PilotNut
9 posters

Go down

LMU @ Portland, Thursday 2/9, 8pm Empty LMU @ Portland, Thursday 2/9, 8pm

Post by PilotNut Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:47 pm

LMU is a very solid & athletic team, and has played better on the road than at home this year... we played well against the Lions in LA, lets hope we can match that intensity and them some this week!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

LMU @ Portland, Thursday 2/9, 8pm Empty Re: LMU @ Portland, Thursday 2/9, 8pm

Post by PilotDrummer Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:02 pm

...maybe they can dismiss their star player BEFORE the game this time (think Vegas last year)?

Just kidding. Hopefully we will see improvement on 1) Free-throws and 2) minimizing turnovers, as those were the big deals against BYU, it seems like.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:27 pm

PilotDrummer wrote:Hopefully we will see improvement on 1) Free-throws and 2) minimizing turnovers, as those were the big deals against BYU, it seems like.
You can count on it!!! pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11214
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:38 pm

In addition to LMU at UP this Thursday, there are a couple other games that could influence our tournament seeding.

Sure, we want to finish higher than #8 or #9, but what we really want is to finish # 5, not #6 or #7. The #5 team will player the winner of the #8/#9 game on Thursday. The #7 team will play #6, likely USD (or USF) also on Thursday. I’d rather see us play a lower seeded team while we have fresher legs than play a team seeded higher than us.

USD @ PU – this game could go either way for us. A UP and PU win brings us closer to #6 USD while keeping us ahead of PU. Obviously, an LMU and USD win keeps the status quos for a #7 finish. We still must play both USD and PU on the road.

SCU @ USF – I just want to see us get ahead of USF; so it’s got to be an SCU win! Of course we can always settle for staying out of the cellar and root for USF.

SMC @ GU – This should be a fun game. It is being broadcast on ESPN2 at 8pm PST; the same time the LMU/UP game is on CSNNW, but the LMU/UP will be rebroadcast at 11:30pm. It would appear that GU and BYU will be in a fight for the #2 seed and a bye until Saturday.

(BYU is off until this Saturday at home against PU).

Current WCC Standings:
SMC 22-2 11-0
GU 18-4 8-2
BYU 20-6 8-3
LMU 15-9 8-3
USF 15-10 5-6
USD 9-14 4-7
UP 6-18 3-8
PU 8-15 2-10
SCU 8-15 0-10

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Standings)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:29 pm

USF has a 2 game lead on us, while we have a 1-1/2 game lead on PU. Getting to 5th place will be very difficult, but it is imperative to stay 7th or better. I feel comfortable with predicting SCU coming in last, but I want to see PU lose a couple more to give us a cushion. PU has only 1 game left against a top-4 team (@BYU), and I could see them going 3-1 to finish 5-11 overall. The Pilots have 3 games against top-4 teams (LMU, SMC @BYU), plus 2 road games. Getting to 5 victories probably requires beating LMU, and winning at Malibu. Therefore, I am rooting for USD on Thursday!

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Portland Pilots (6-18, 3-8 ) vs. LMU Lions (15-9, 8-3)

Date: Thursday, Feb. 9, 2012
Tip-off: 8:00 p.m.
Arena: Chiles Center (4,852)
Television: CSN-NW
Radio: 800 AM
Overall Series: 40-45
At UP: 25-15
At LMU: 13-25
At Neutral: 2-5
Last: LMU 62, POR 59 (January 28, 2012 at LMU)

COMING UP

• Portland (6-18, 3-8 WCC) looks to even the season series against West Coast Conference rival Loyola Marymount (15-9, 8-3) on Thursday at the Chiles Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. and the game will be televised live on Comcast SportsNet Northwest with Scott Lynn and Bob Weiss calling the action.
• The Lions edged the Pilots by a 62-59 margin on Jan. 28 in Los Angeles. A Jarred DuBois three-pointer with 17 seconds left in regulation proved to be the game-winner.
• All Portland basketball games will be broadcast live on True Talk 800 AM, with a 30-minute pregame show. Bill Johnson will provide the play-by-play and an audio simulcast will also be available on www.PilotsVideo.com.

TICKETS
• Tickets are still available for Portland’s two remaining home games.
• Fans can get tickets through all Ticketmaster outlets, online at ticketmaster.com, or through the Pilot Box Office (M-F, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.). Tickets may also be purchased at the door 90 minutes prior to tipoff each game. Call the Pilot Box Office at (503) 943-7525 with any questions.

ABOUT LOYOLA MARYMOUNT
• The Lions (15-9, 8-3 WCC) scored 60 second half points, including 10-for-13 from the three-point line, to erase a 16-point deficit and earn a 90-88 win over San Francisco on Saturday.
• LMU also knocked off Pepperdine (67-57) last Thursday and have now won five of its last six games.
• On Jan. 28 in Los Angeles, Portland dropped a 62-59 heartbreaker to the Lions when Jarred DuBois hit a three-pointer with 17 seconds remaining to break a tie and win the game.
• The Lions are tied for third in the WCC with BYU, sitting a half-game behind Gonzaga for second place.
• LMU is 7-2 overall on the road this season, including a perfect 5-0 in WCC road contests. The Lions remaining road games are against the Pilots, Gonzaga and No. 16 Saint Mary’s.
• Signature non-conference wins for the Lions came against UCLA (69-58) and Saint Louis (75-68), while an 82-68 romp at BYU was a key league win. LMU also lost games to Florida State (77-61) and Harvard 77-67.
• Senior F Drew Viney, who was named to the WCC Preseason All-Conference Team, is averaging 15.7 points per game. Sophomore PG Anthony Ireland adds 15.1 ppg and is third in the WCC with 4.9 assists per game.
• Max Good is in his fourth season as the head coach of the Lions and posts a 47-71 overall record.
• Portland owns an 8-5 record over LMU under head coach Eric Reveno.
• The Pilots won both regular season meetings a season ago, but the Lions knocked UP out of the WCC Tournament with a 72-68 win in the quarterfinals.

LINEUP NOTES
• Senior PG Eric Waterford (knee) is out for Thursday.
• Sophomore C Riley Barker has missed the last 17 games (knee) and is also out.
• Head coach Eric Reveno has used eight different starting lineups this year.
• Sophomore Ryan Nicholas is the only Pilot to start all 24 games this year, while 11 different Pilots have started at least one game.
• Three different freshmen have started at least four games.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:48 am

I'm not sure what Ken Pomeroy thinks because I 'm too cheap to send him money, but RealTimeRPI has UP winning tonight.

Our guys have been playing some better basketball of late, so I would be pretty disappointed if we don't pull of the W.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by IronLions Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:56 am

Looking forward to a exciting game tonight. I'm glad it will be on TV. Lions are hard to figure out. We didn't play our best ball against Pilots in LA, then played decent vs. Pepperdine. USF game was lop sided till we got thing going in second half. ( We were down by 19 and came back to win!)

Portland has always been a very difficult place for us to win. I know Bailey will be motivated again.

Should be an exciting one!

IronLions
IronLions
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:18 am

The WCC is a curious place when a 2-7 team with a 262 RPI is favored over a 7-2 team with a 110 RPI.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:25 am

RealTime has them at 112 and 208, but yes, I agree it's curious.

blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:36 am

blacksheep wrote:I'm not sure what Ken Pomeroy thinks because I 'm too cheap to send him money, but RealTimeRPI has UP winning tonight.
Well, let's take a look. Here are tonight’s prognostications from Ken Pomeroy, listed first/and from the Odds Makers in Las Vegas, listed second:

LMU 73 - @UP 68/LMU by 3 (Although outplayed in LA, we still had a chance to win until the last minute; I think the Las Vegas odds reflect that. A win tonight would really go a long way towards playing on Thursday in Las Vegas as PU is favored tonight.)

GU 71 – SMC 69/GU 3.5 by (GU’s home court advantage is the difference in this one. I pick SMC.)

PU 62 - USD 60/PU by 2 (USD is on the rise and the better team, but PU is at home. This one’s a tossup.)

USF 86 - SCU 73/USF by 12 (the experts have finally given up on SCU – now they’ll probably pull one out.)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:48 am

We have been playing better, and have been hanging around late in games (@LMU, @SMC, USF, BYU)... but we are due to finish one off against a team ahead of us in the standings. Let's hope we can execute down the stretch and grab the W!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:00 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:The WCC is a curious place when a 2-7 team with a 262 RPI is favored over a 7-2 team with a 110 RPI.
UP is actually 3-8, and LMU is 8-3; those long naps are great aren't they!

I’m told the actual RPI is: LMU 112/UP 208.

Pomeroy’s ratings are: LMU 146/UP 270

College State’s ratings; are LMU 150/UP 302

pirat But, on any given evening...................
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:10 am

PilotNut wrote:Let's hope we can execute down the stretch and grab the W!
Unfortunately for us, LMU is the team that has been executing down the stretch. Down by 19 in the second half against USF they exploded for 60-second half points as they made good on a staggering 10-of-13 behind the three-point line to grab the victory by a scant two points. Drew Viney dropped in 20 points, followed by Jarred DuBois with 17, Anthony Ireland 15 points and Ashley Hamilton 13 as the team finished the night with 48.3 percent shooting from the floor overall. Shocked

From Sports Network:
Viney leads four players in double figures through 24 games, although he's appeared in just 14, posting 15.7 ppg on the strength of his 46.0 percent shooting behind the three-point line. Ireland checks in with 15.1 ppg and is also the one who gets his teammates involved the most with his 117 assists. Defensively, the Lions enter this week as one of the nation's top three-point shooting defenses, allowing opponents to make good on only 28.9 percent of their chances.

For all the years that the Lions have been beaten up by the rest of the WCC, now is the time for them to exact some revenge and seeing as how the team is 7-2 on the road (in WCC play), it shouldn't be that tough of a time for them in Oregon tonight.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:10 pm

As everyone preps for tonight's game against LMU, some have asked, "Where are the Teletubbies," well, here's the answer (sort of). Below are excerpts from an article appearing in the Beacon that I’ve rewritten or edited for PN.

The Teletubbies are no longer allowed to be on the walkway during free throws because they were blocking spectator's views of the court. But (they) said they understand, and plan on continuing in the student section. (The article goes on to say how opposing teams have actually shot better from the charity stripe in the Chiles Center compared to other courts).

As the season comes to a close, they have already started thinking of some ideas to bring to the student section next year such as theme nights. Cool

The Teletubbies are quoted as saying “it has been fun to be a part of a possible tradition" and they hope it continues. As there is one sophomore and three juniors in this year’s group, they recognize the pressures that come with trying to keep the tradition alive.

"We have some serious shoes to fill," one Teletubbies said, and they are now thinking they’ll hold open tryouts to field the best talent in the future. Very Happy

LMU @ Portland, Thursday 2/9, 8pm Teletu10

Image courtesy of the Beacon.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:10 pm

I hope everyone is prepared to be loud and proud tonight. Make some noise, clap for the fight song and will our team to victory!
You Can Not Stop Us!
We are the U of P!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodless! Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:47 pm

I'll be at the alumni house at 1830 (6:30pm) to help everyone get fired up. Stop by for a cold one.
Woodless!
Woodless!
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:17 pm

1) Apparently as Ryno goes, so go the Pilots. Ryan Nicholas was not on top of his game tonight and, coincidentally, the Pilots looked flat.

2) There were cheers in the "adult" section tonight. I couldn't tell who all joined in but it didn't sound like many did. So much for showin them kids how to whoop and holler and make some noise.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:56 am

The "old folks" side was better tonight, but my goodness, where were the students?!

Actually, attendance in general was really bad. Was that due to the 8pm "school night" tip? Were other people as disgusted after the BYU game?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:11 am

PilotNut wrote:The "old folks" side was better tonight, but my goodness, where were the students?!
Beating a Dead Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:31 am

One person is not giving up. Rev tweeted:
Late night watchin film, back to office early. Keep building. Great opportunities remain next few wks. Long term future brighter than ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:52 am

Wow. Rev also posted a video comment on Facebook after the game:
LINK

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Sherman Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:13 pm

Another example of how bad it went in the student section: I had two LMU fans sitting behind me the entire second half, one of which gave me actually asked if I would be standing the entire time. Mad I tried to ignore them as beet as I could, but the mocking of the team and my occasional efforts continued.

After one LMU basket, the guy behind me remarked it would have been nice if he could have seen the play but apparently, I had blocked his view.

I pointed out several other seats IN THE STUDENT SECTION and elsewhere in Chiles he could have sat where I would not have blocked his view, inculding one seat to his right.

He cursed me out to his compatriot but really, you sit in a section containing individuals half to a third of your age and you are surprised you might not get a positive reaction, especially if you are rooting for the opponent!

I was so outraged, I texted to SP11 I really wanted to pray for this classless soul! The only caveat: the guy might have a speech impediment or mental issue but antagonizing students during the game who are trying to support their team is not why you buy a ticket.

In the brainstorming thread, blacksheep said posters had come down hard on students. Last night showed the vast majority don't care or if they do, they have a hard time showing it. Despite the dance on Saturday, the student section has been decently full the last two games, at least looking from courtside. Outside of the first few rows, including a freshman student-athlete that always think Korey should play, the section is morgue-like.

In the past, I have tried to defend my fellow students, but clearly, I am from a different mindset. I do not need a scoreboard to tell me to make noise, the dance team has rarely been exciting, like many here, I abhor the use of canned music because the energy dies, I know the lyrics to the victory march, and I clap for substitutions.

Last night saw myself and one of the Villa leaders working as best as we could but after he left, so did the energy from the Villans, who decided to leave midway through the half. I have to give credit to the girls who learned how to use the D and the fence in the second half. Too many of them view the event as a social event and enjoyed their phones.

The students do not deserve this team.

Last edited by DJ Sherman on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : one can only express so much frustration on a smaller screen...)
DJ Sherman
DJ Sherman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:49 pm

DJ Sherman wrote:Another example of how bad it went in the student section: I had two LMU fans sitting behind me the entire second half, one of which gave me actually asked if I would be standing the entire time. Mad I tried to ignore them as best as I could, but the mocking of the team and my occasional efforts continued.

After one LMU basket, the guy behind me remarked it would have been nice if he could have seen the play but apparently, I had blocked his view.

I pointed out several other seats IN THE STUDENT SECTION and elsewhere in Chiles he could have sat where I would not have blocked his view, inculding one seat to his right.

He cursed me out to his compatriot but really, you sit in a section containing individuals half to a third of your age and you are surprised you might not get a positive reaction, especially if you are rooting for the opponent!
DJ, I’m sorry we didn’t know of your plight; we would have rushed over from the “old folks” section and arrested the culprit.

LMU @ Portland, Thursday 2/9, 8pm Philad10

Seriously, in another era, we would have "done" something about a situation like this, but you clearly did not have the required "numbers" to handle it. It's probably just as well you didn't tell our "security" folks because the bad guys would probably have been waiting for you outside.

I know there's only more game (Senior Night for you too?), and you probably won't have the same problem, but if you do, we're here for you. pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Lions Complete Season Sweep of Pilots

PORTLAND, Ore. --- Sophomores Ryan Nicholas and Tanner Riley each scored 13 points for Portland, but the Loyola Marymount Lions shot 58 percent from the field in the second half en route to a 76-62 win on Thursday before 2, 067 fans at the Chiles Center.

Freshman Kevin Bailey and sophomore Tim Douglas added 11 points apiece for the Pilots (6-19, 3-9 WCC).

The Lions (16-9, 9-3) moved into sole possession of third place in the West Coast Conference standings with the win. LMU had five players score in double figures, led by senior Drew Viney with 16 points. The Lions, who scored 60 second half points in a comeback win on Saturday against San Francisco, lit it up again in the second half on Thursday by finishing the period 6-of-9 on three-pointers and outscoring the Pilots, 47-37.

In the previous meeting between the two teams, the Lions escaped with a 62-59 win in Los Angeles. Rebounding was the difference then as LMU held a 34-26 margin on the boards and 15-6 edge in second chance points. The theme continued on Thursday as the Lions outrebounded the Pilots 33-23 and held a 14-2 margin in second chance points.

The Pilots shot 43 percent from the field for the game, made 7-of-22 three-pointers and 9-of-11 free throws. LMU finished the game at 51 percent from the floor, made 10-of-19 threes and 16-of-24 free throws.

The Lions jumped out to an early 21-7 lead after drilling four early three-pointers, but the Pilots were able to bring the deficit back to single digits. Portland junior Derrick Rodgers hit a half court buzzer beater to bring the Pilots within four at 29-25 at intermission.

Back-to-back three-pointers by LMU’s C.J. Blackwell gave the Lions at 47-36 lead with 14:00 remaining, but the Pilots would cut the margin to five at 60-55 on a three by Riley with 6:08 left. That would be as close as Portland would get as LMU extended the lead with free throws in the closing minutes.

Portland will get the weekend off before embarking on a Southern California road trip next week. The Pilots will be at San Diego on Thursday at 5:30 p.m. (CSN Northwest), before visiting Pepperdine on Saturday at 7 p.m. (FSN Prime Ticket live, tape-delayed at 10:30 p.m. on CSN Northwest). Both games will be broadcast on True Talk 800 AM (KPDQ).

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down