Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No spring ball?

+4
ChrisAWK
PurplePrideTrumpet
A_Fan
Geezaldinho
8 posters

Go down

No spring ball? - Page 2 Empty Re: No spring ball?

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:58 pm

As long as this thread has veered off into concussions, I think the more significant information is in this article published by the NCAA: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/november/rochester+study+suggests+concussive+effects+of+cumulative+hits?&utm_source=delivra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NCAA%20News%20Direct

Current research, although apparently not conclusive, seems to be saying that in terms of eventual outcomes, regular head banging that does not result in concussions can produce just as much brain trauma. This is pretty disturbing.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Another good article.

It is indeed disturbing. I wonder if "regular head banging" will be shown to include heading a soccer ball on a regular basis. VERY disturbing. I think the sport could find a way to deal with the occasional head-to-head encounter, but this would be something else. And, I wonder how the results will turn out when they do a third test after 6 months to see if things have healed. That might actually be the most important result.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:01 pm

According to a poster over on BigSoccer, it appears the NCAA has put discussion about not allowing Spring games "on hold." Since the proposal under consideration involved the non-revenue sports and appeared to have a disproportionate impact on women, I'm guessing that, in part, the lawyers said, "Whoaa, here, Title IX, Title IX ...." Plus, maybe the near 100% opposition from the athletes themselves had an impact.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:32 am

According to the University of Washington women's soccer page on the Huskies website, the University of Portland women will play a spring game against the Huskies on April 1 at 3PM at the Huskies.
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down