Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonzaga

+9
SoreKnees
gnarly
Geezaldinho
dwm
soccerjoy
Dan No Yell
purple haze
PurplePrideTrumpet
UPSoccerFanatic
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gonzaga Empty Gonzaga

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:15 pm

OK, here comes the big fan test. We need to be out there helping the players out as much as possible this coming Saturday night at 7:00 pm. All is not lost, at this point, in terms of the NCAA Tournament. The Pilots are in bubble territory, and a win might move them up some in their position. But, they must win on Saturday to be eligible, so we need to help them out all we can.

Here's Gonzaga's record:

Code:

8/19/2011    Gonzaga   1   IllinoisU   5   at Illinois
8/21/2011    Gonzaga   0   LoyolaChicago   1   at LC
8/26/2011    Gonzaga   2   AirForce   1   at neutral
8/28/2011    Gonzaga   1   BoiseState   0   at BS
9/2/2011     Gonzaga   1   WeberState   0   at Gonzaga
9/10/2011    Gonzaga   4   EasternWashington   0   at neutral
9/15/2011    Gonzaga   1   WashingtonState   2   at Gonzaga
9/18/2011    Gonzaga   1   WashingtonU   3   at Gonzaga
9/23/2011    Gonzaga   3   IdahoU   0   at Gonzaga
9/30/2011    Gonzaga   2   Seattle   0   at Seattle
10/2/2011    Gonzaga   2   MontanaU   0   at Gonzaga
10/7/2011    Gonzaga   1   StMarys   1   at SM
10/9/2011    Gonzaga   0   LoyolaMarymount   0   at LMU
10/13/2011   Gonzaga   0   SanFrancisco   1   at Gonzaga
10/15/2011   Gonzaga   2   BYU   3   at Gonzaga
10/21/2011   Gonzaga   0   Pepperdine   1   at Pep
10/23/2011   Gonzaga   1   SantaClara   4   at Gonzaga
10/27/2011   Gonzaga   0   SanDiegoU   3   at Gonzaga
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Gonzaga Empty Re: Gonzaga

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:18 pm

They might make it, they might not. The fact is, this could be the final appearance at Merlo for six seniors who have put so much time and energy into making the team the best it can be. Come out to Merlo and thank them for coming to Portland and giving us so much to cheer about.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:51 pm

Agree completely, PPT.

On a related note, Pilots fans want WSU to win over UW (@ UW) in their November 3 game. WSU, with a win, may get high enough in the RPI rankings to increase their bonus point contribution to the Pilots' RPI (since the Pilots beat them); UW appears out of the NCAA Tournament picture; and the Pilots should fare better than WSU in the bubble comparisons (since the Pilots beat WSU) if they both end up in the bubble group.

How's that as a basis for rooting for a team?

PS - Plus, "Go, Cal State Northridge!"
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:43 pm

Senior Night is a time to reflect, a time of thanks, a time of shock (wow, did the past four years fly by!) and a time to look ahead. Would not miss it!
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:06 pm

I'll be there.

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:12 pm

I'll add something to what others have said:

If there ever was a game to bring friends/potential UP soccer fans to, this is it!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerjoy Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:45 pm

My husband and I are so appreciative of all of the Pilot Nation members who remain positive through it all. More than in any other year we've been attending Pilots' games, we've been learning to enjoy the game and celebrate the wins, rather than taking them for granted. After the game against Santa Clara, my husband reminded Dani to 'keep your heads high, because you've given us so much joy over the years.' We have a very special team every year, and this year is no exception.

GO PILOTS!!!!
Goal Celebration!

soccerjoy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by dwm Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:24 pm

UPSF-
and likewise we want OSU to beat UO, and FSU to win the AAC tournament, right? Or does tournament play not count?

dwm
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:32 pm

dwm wrote:UPSF-
and likewise we want OSU to beat UO, and FSU to win the AAC tournament, right? Or does tournament play not count?

You're right on. Tournament play counts. We want OSU to win, FSU to win the ACC Tournament, Boston U to win their tournament, UC Irvine to win theirs, SDSU to win theirs, etc. These all are definitely possibilities and illustrate the very difficult schedule the Pilots have had this year.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:06 pm

As if any of us needed another reason to root against UW...
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:42 pm

I may have to backtrack on WSU v UW. I thought WSU, with a win, might get into higher bonus territory for the Pilots win over them. I've run a simulation, and I don't think that's the case. In fact, the Pilots might be better off with a UW win, since that probably would drop WSU below the Pilots in the RPI rankings, which would be good if both WSU and the Pilots are bubble teams.

Still, I like WSU ....
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:18 pm

An interesting article from the Oregonian about UPWS. I feel like the article is a little too harsh on the team at times, but it is true for almost everything. Also, since when are we not playoff eligible. Aren't you all crunching numbers saying that we can if we win? I don't know... Just read it.

LINK

An unusual and difficult season will come to an end for the University of Portland women's soccer team Friday night.

Portland's home game against Gonzaga tonight at Merlo Field, will be the final game of the 2011 season for the Pilots. Not the final game of the regular season, but the final game of the season. For the first time since 1999, the Pilots will not play in the NCAA tournament.

The season started with high hopes of building on last season, when the Pilots finished 19-1-2 but suffered an unexpected loss to Washington in the second round of the NCAA tournament. UP lost four regular starters from the 2010 team, but returning players included leading scorer Danielle Foxhoven and goalkeeper Hailee DeYoung -- both seniors.

The season quickly began to unravel amid surprising early-season losses to San Diego State, Seattle University and Boston University and a rash of injuries -- particularly to defensive players.

"It's been very tough. It's been very hard," Foxhoven said. "I can't say that I've come to terms with it yet."

Whether the Pilots (8-9-1, 3-4-0 West Coast Conference) win or lose against Gonzaga, the Pilots will not have a winning season. Standards are much higher at UP, a program that has captured two national championships in the past 10 years and had reached the NCAA tournament 11 consecutive seasons.

"It's been an adjustment. You get accustomed to things and sometimes, things change," DeYoung said. "You go through ebbs and flows, easy parts and hard parts."

Garrett Smith had never been the head coach of a Portland Pilots team that didn't reach the NCAA tournament until this year. The nine losses are the second-highest (1983 team posted a 2-11-3 record) in school history and equals the total number of losses in the past four seasons combined.

"(It's) definitely not a place we want to be. But it's understandable where we're at as you look back and recapture a whole season," Smith said. "But it was not something we were anticipating at the beginning of the year."

The Pilots' erratic season began with two home wins, then three consecutive road losses before a draw against Washington and a win against Oregon State. The start foreshadowed inconsistent performances during conference play, particularly on defense.

The Pilots have allowed 26 goals, the most since 1999, the last time the Pilots failed to reach the NCAA tournament. Smith pointed to an injury-racked backline as the primary culprit for the fall to mediocrity.

Junior midfielder/defender Kendall Johnson tore a ligament in her left knee in the spring and has missed the entire season. Chronic back pain forced senior defender Kassi McCluskie to miss the last nine games and senior defender Emma Nelson has missed the past seven games with an injured left foot. Sophomore defender Cloee Colohan has missed the past four games with a strained left hamstring.

"That's the foundation of what we are – a defensive team – not letting teams score and not letting teams have shots," Smith said. "This year, without that base, it kind of left us exposed a little bit."

Games remained a popular draw on campus, with average home attendance of 3,175 -- high for college women's soccer. But the team also became a target for critics, a new experience for the ultra-successful program.

Smith said players blocked out the critics and persevered through the adversity.

"If they're not going to run the hill with us. If they're not be with us at practice every day. If they're not going to be in the training room with us, you can't listen to them whether they say the good things or the bad things," Smith said. "And that's what we did."

Through it all, Smith said the team has remained together and stayed focused.

"There was the desire to play well and still improve this season even when it (tournament berth) was a little out of reach," Smith said. "The true character of this team showed."

The season has been difficult for everyone associated with the program, but the seniors are taking it particularly hard. Foxhoven, whose 56 career goals ranks fourth on the school's all-time list, said she is proud of her play with the Pilots, but admits that she will leave the school with one major regret.

"Coming into this program, the first meeting I had, (former players) said, 'We want you to leave this program better off than (it was) when you came here,' " Foxhoven said. "The hardest part for me is leaving, knowing that we've kind of gone the opposite way."

The talk before the season was winning the West Coast Conference and returning to the NCAA tournament. Now, the talk is winning the final game against Gonzaga and avoiding the first losing season since 1983.

"We just want to go in and play a good looking soccer game," DeYoung said. "Play a fun soccer game and go out on a high note."

-- Geoffrey C. Arnold

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:04 pm

purple haze wrote:As if any of us needed another reason to root against UW...

0-0 at full time. now come the overtimes.

Huskies are ahead on shots 16-6. I wonder how they'd do if it went to shootout geek

Karma is a bitch.... (yeah, I know it can't happen)

0-0 after the first OT
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:38 pm

and after overtimes it ends 0-0.

WSU drops to 50, we stay at 49 in the ARPI. (NC Soccer)
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:07 pm

I am not going to comment on the article other than to say ? That part of the article is idiotic.

On the Washington/Washington State game, WSU has dropped just below the Pilots in the rankings, which is good; but Washington dropped out of the top 80, which I hadn't anticipated. This means that the Pilots have lost some bonus points from the tie with the Huskies.

The end of all this is: The Pilots need to do the one thing that is within what they can control: play the very best possible game they can on Saturday. Let the rest take care of itself.

I am very confident in these young women. And, I don't think Saturday is the last time I will see them play this season.

GO PILOTS!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Gonzaga Empty Rooting for Teams in Other Conferences

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:17 pm

Pilots fans, let's root for these teams, all favored to win their conference championships:

Memphis (CUSA)
Milwaukee (Horizon)
Boston U (America East)
William & Mary (Colonial)
Stephen F Austin (Southland)

And, not to be forgotten, for Florida State to win the ACC Championship (they are in the finals).

And, of course, for the Pilots.

GO PILOTS!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:35 am

Here are the final match ups in the conf with only 1 berth probably given to NCAA tourney and their adjusted RPI:

Atl Sun: FL GC 74 v. Mercer 164.

Big Sky: Montana 272 v. Weber St 243

Big South: Radford 155 v. Campbell 126

Metro Atl: Marist 134 v. Loyola 186

Mid Am: Tol 78 v. w Mich 87

MVC: Ill St 94 v. Missouri St 101

Mt W: NM 77 v. Wyo 144

NE: St Fr 111 v. LIU 98

OVC: Tenn Martin 137 v. Morehead St 156

Patriot: Navy 95 v. Army 84

Southern: Samford 63 v. Col Charleston 104.

SWAC: Ark PB 241 v. MVSC 313

Summit: Oak 205 v. ND St 128

Sun Belt: FIU 67 v. W Kentucky 68

WAC: Utah St 65 v. Fr St 92.

Those matchups won't impact UP chances.

As UPSF mention, the conf where you have a poor rpi team in the finals jepordize UP chances:

Am E: Albany 168 v. BU 34

Atl 10: Massachusetts 47 v. Dayton 26

Colonial: VCU 133 v. W&M 37

Conf USA UTEP 80 v. Memphis 5

Horizon: Wright St 87 v. Mil 21

Southland: Tex St 83 v. SFA 46

UP's first objective is to win to get to 500. Then we'll see what happens tomorrow.

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:17 am

Good work, Gnarly. One correction -- Western Michigan is 58.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Pilot scarf, check.

Pilot cowbells, (two), check

Pilot sweatshirt. check

Pilot Megaphone, Check

Pilot hat, check.

Pilot Clacker Balloons, check.

Pilot seat cushion, check.
OK, Let's do this.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerjoy Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:22 pm

Way to go, Pilots! It was great to see Cassie & Emma on the field for a few minutes tonight. Very Happy
Now the wait....

Go Pilots!

soccerjoy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:38 pm

Great way to finish off the season. It could well have been 6 or 8 to 0.

From the Portlandpilot site:

The three goals were more than enough for Portland goalkeeper Hailee DeYoung, who had to make just one save for her fourth shutout of the year. The Pilots attempted 21 shots on the night, 11 of which were on-goal.

It was senior night at Merlo Field as the Pilots honored DeYoung, Foxhoven, Halley Kreminski, Kassi McCluskie, Emma Nelson and Michelle Olivier with a pre-game ceremony. This group has posted the fourth best winning percentage of any current senior class in the nation with a current four-year record of 69-14-3. They claimed three WCC titles and made three trips to the postseason, twice reaching the NCAA Quarterfinals.

Foxhoven ranks fourth all-time at UP in career goals and career points (139).

She jumped ahead of Enyeart in Points tonight..

Thanks to this Senior class we will miss you all. Cross your fingers for a tournament slot.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:02 pm

Another nice display from the students.

Gonzaga Imgp0313

What a way for Foxhoven to close out her time as a Pilot. Just beautiful. Frisbie's run that included beating the same defender twice was brilliant as well.

Aside from the goalscorers Brooke I thought had a great game. Lots of nice runs from the right back spot (go ahead, keep giving her space) and she saved Senior Night by clearing that ball off the line.

Kurle looks better and better in central midfield. She's physical and has a knack for getting to the ball. I don't know how many of you will understand this comparison but she reminds me of the Timbers' James Marcelin. With a little more refining they'll be very useful for their respective teams.

Maybe there's more football left this year, but this was the perfect way to close out a challenging regular season. All I can say to Hallie, Emma, Dani, Kassi, Hailee, and Michelle is thank you for coming to Portland. You've made us proud to be Pilot fans.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:57 am

I thought there was an urgency about the Pilots' game last night that I haven't seen in a long time. They closed down Gonzaga players and won the ball back better than I've seen them do all season. With the ball, they played more quickly, not holding on and looking around or dribbling into cul-de-sacs.

Maybe Gonzaga is a weak team, but this was a dominant performance of the kind we used to see, and without the distressing coda of the St. Mary's game. This kind of performance against Seattle and San Diego State (and maybe a few others) would probably have put us into the tournament, but then I guess this whole enterprise is supposed to be about learning and maybe we just weren't ready for that kind of performance in September.

Anyway, congratulations to the seniors and to the team. They put together an impressive performance for the finish, even if it doesn't end up being quite enough to make the 64.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:22 am

Good win last night. Clearly a disappointing season but good to finish on a high note. Dani took her goal in the style we've been blessed to watch for four years and her ball to the far post for Ellen for the first goal was a lesson to several of her teammates as to what a good cross looks like. Hailee had little to do and MO was rock solid at the back. Hallie started and was unlucky to have a good effort hit the bar in the first half - it would have been nice for her to get a goal. Emma and Kassi came on for the final three minutes and played up front! Kassi almost scored. She was deleriously happy to be out there - scoring a gola might have sent her to a whole new level of ecstacy.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:36 am

I pretty much agree with all that has been said about last night's game, so I just want to add something to what PPT said about Taylor Brooke. From our vantage point near the drum squad, we saw Taylor leap into the air for a header that was high enough that her hips were visible ABOVE the shoulders of the Zag players she was near. My first thought was Michael Jordan. My second thought was that the video operator better get this shot out to the media...or to the fans somehow. I could watch that over and over again and probably be amazed each viewing.
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next