Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots win 3-0

+4
UPSoccerFanatic
A_Fan
Geezaldinho
Harry Redknapp
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pilots win 3-0 Empty Pilots win 3-0

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:44 pm

Another spring victory at Merlo this afternoon against Trinity from BC

Pliots lined up in the 4-1-2-3 foramtion again:

ErinD; SarahB, MichelleO, EmmaN, KendallJ; CloeeC; DaniF, TaylorB; HallieK, MicaelaC, AmandaF.

HallieK scored off a great feed from DaniK. DaniK hit one at the GK off a great run from MicaelaK. DaniK headed home from a great CloeeC free kick but disallowed (dubiously) for supposed offsides. AmandaK fired one off the post. 1-0 at the half.

HaileeDY for ErinD at half time. MollyK for MichelleO after 15 minutes or so of the second half.

AmandaF scored a fine goal after a poor clearance from the GK, but AF had work to do to win the ball and finished well.
DaniK scored with a left foot scorcher to the upper left corner from about 25 yards.

Neither Erin nor Hailee had a save to make.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Pilots win 3-0 Empty Re: Pilots win 3-0

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:46 pm

Did the hand warmers work for you?Very Happy

Good progress from the Pilots in the 4-3-3. they looked a lot more comfortable this week than last and had a much better first touch.

if you remember, last year's contest ended in a tie. Trinity is a good team.

I will say that when their keeper hurt herself contesting her post, i think the replacement isn't a keeper. It harkes back to when we had MO in goal last year.

This year we had Erin in the first half and Hailee in the second.

ignoring great play from people we have come to expect it from, I thought Amanda had a great game. she is much more comfortable with people on her back than last fall and even when what she was doing didn't work, you could see she had an idea.
She missed on a couple combinations with other players, but the tries we thought out. she isn't just trying to get rid of the ball.

the defenders held Trinity's Daniella Gerig in check also, She was pretty spectacular last year, but Emma, MO, and Molly all played her 1v1 and did well.

This try at the 4-3-3 is progressing much better than the 2002 attempt.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:43 pm

It was an entertaining game. I thought Sarah Bridges gained confidence and by the second half was playing very well in the defense.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:50 pm

I agree with all of the above comments. I think Harry's description of the formation as a 4-1-2-3 is a little better description than a 4-3-3, although they probably both mean the same thing. Last week, I thought Halley K wasn't in the flow at all. Today, as the game progressed, she got in the flow better. It's actually a 4-1-2-2-1, with Halley as the last 1. It's an intriguing formation and, at least today, allowed for a huge amount of triangle short passing. In the second half, I swear there was a point at which the team strung together about 35 short passes.

It was a pleasure to watch the passing today. Plus, I agree that Amanda Frisbee is looking good. She does a great job of keeping the ball very close to her feet as she moves with it. Plus ... Plus ... Plus ...
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:01 pm

That's great to hear. I've been optimistic about Frisbee for a long time. Her high school video clips looked so Sinclair-esque, and she finished last year in a pretty strong fashion.

I think the key to our success this season is midfield dominance and finishing...and maybe some opportunistic counter attacking too.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Except that neither Pilot keeper had to get involved more than a couple times, she had a good game, with the exception that she had a couple of bad goal kicks that were almost picked by the opposing forwards. Very uncharacteristic.

She usually booms them. Rust, I guess. It was her first couple tries.

She supported the defenders well, though.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:31 pm

The three forwards were fairly fluid in who played which role: all three of them played wide and up the middle as circumstances dictated.

4-1-2-3 is a good system for the personnel on hand this spring: although with only one sub there were some players running on fumes by the end of the game. Not sure if this will be the formation we'll see in the fall when there are some more players available. Time enough to find out: it's fun to watch this spring.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:37 pm

Argentina runs this a lot. They call it a 4-1-2-2-1

Sometimes they run a 4-2-2-2

Maybe we'll see that next. (we just need to get Cambiasso and Mascherano)
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:20 pm

Hahha we can pretend tomorrow is April fools day and Geez can somehow find some cryptic news site from Buenos Aires where Cambiasso and Mascherano's first born have already committed to UP...

As long as we never see the 9-1 that Roberto Mancini loves so dearly I'll be perfectly happy!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:06 am

Mascherano is from Santa Fé, Cuchú is from San Lorenzo- both near Rosario ( Messi's home town)
The Buenos Aires announcement wouldn't work.
Very Happy

Just now watching a replay of the Barcelona- Real game. Messi and Pedro up top in a 4-4-2

The more things change...

Here's an interesting factoid.
Christiano Ronaldo has never scored on Barça.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:17 am

Can someone tell me the name of the forward position that Frisbie played? She moved back and forth from left to right and then to left. One of the guys next to me thought she was following the "strong" side of the field. Is there a name for that kind of position?
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:21 am

"forward" Very Happy
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:29 am

I had already said forward. Not all forwards moved back and forth like she did, so I thought there might be a special name for that type of forward. Obviously there isn't...since this came from the most reliable source.
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:42 am

All three of the forwards were moving. That one-touch game they were playing requires that more than one player show for the ball at all times. It only works if the defenders have to keep moving.

So you move to keep the defenders moving. Eventually, the defense loses it's shape and you advance the ball and start over. It works best if the attackers don't just run lanes, but they can't just run around without being aware of the defensive responsibilities in that area of the field, so if somebody moved out of an area, somebody has to move into it.

Fun to watch.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:53 am

As Geez said, the forward position is rarely a fixed one once play starts, tons of overlapping, showing to the ball, making runs off the ball, dropping off, etc. It makes the defenders work over time as they run in and out of their respective zones and gives the mids many more options to initiate the attack. Forwards, for the most part, should work with each other, less as individual players fixed in a position, but more as a single free flowing unit dedicated to creating opportunities, and exhausting/confounding defenses.

As far as positioning on the field typically the outside mids/defenders are the ones most rigidly fixed in their positions so as to keep shape/width on the field. (Although the occasional run out of their typical wings happens from time to time when the opportunity allows it.)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:01 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:All three of the forwards were moving. That one-touch game they were playing requires that more than one player show for the ball at all times. It only works if the defenders have to keep moving.

So you move to keep the defenders moving. Eventually, the defense loses it's shape and you advance the ball and start over. It works best if the attackers don't just run lanes, but they can't just run around without being aware of the defensive responsibilities in that area of the field, so if somebody moved out of an area, somebody has to move into it.

Fun to watch.

It's really good to hear that the team is playing a one-touch technical game. I think that's what the team needs to focus on mixed in with Clive style overlapping runs...unless some of the better offensive players get into 1 v. 1 situations with the keeper in counter attacks. We have far too much talent not to spread the ball around and play a really technical style.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:54 pm

The one key ingredient to the success of the one-touch possession style game is pace and speed...moving the ball FAST!

The 2005 team did it best!!! They took it to a another level I haven't ever seen before....and no ones ever seen since! They were so so fluid...and so so fast. They set a very high standard. For me, Merlo became the Disneyland equivalent of..."the happiest place on earth". It was magical. I was always smiling ear to ear watching their perfomances...not so much for our opponents though.
Hitting my head agai

Man...they were awesome! Thoughts of yesteryear still get me high!

Current teams still run the one-touch possession game well. We've had individually fast players since Christine...Enyeart, Chandhoke, Foxhoven who've become well known for their speed. But, IMHO....there is a noticeable downshift today with "overall" team pace and speed. Teams that chased the 2005 team...well...by the 2nd half...they were so exhausted they stopped chasing. Or, they were breaking ankles all the time. Players were falling on their behinds because of the quick shifts in direction. It was literally better for them to stay in their zone and hope play would come back their way. Maybe they could do something defensive then....NOT!!
The 2005 team was so fast....teams could not physicially react to what their eyes were seeing. By the time it registered in the brain...the balll was gone! It was Somdom and Gomorrah...defenses turned to Stone! Many teams knew outright that it was a waste of energy to chase. Packing the box began to be a common defensive strategy against us, especially with less athletic teams.

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:14 pm

I seem to remember some pretty full boxes last year. I expect we will see more again.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Well I hope they do that, because turning into pillars of salt from being in awe from our Sodom and Gomorrah offense would NOT be good for the lusciouly green Merlo pitch...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:47 pm

Sigh....

Now I have to sit down and read Genesis again....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:18 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:I seem to remember some pretty full boxes last year. I expect we will see more again.

That's why we need to find ways to generate more counter attacks. Our team has the possession game down against most of the competition we face. A few of our forwards need to develop the knack of getting behind the defense. I'm hoping that Frisbee will develop that ability.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:43 am

The Pilot's Sodom and Gomorrah Offense...Defenses turned to Stone! Ah heck...I like it! And you know? We should all go back to reading a few more biblical references anyway. The pics of the (kits?) posted last week in this forum cost me 10 hail marys at my last confession!

Look away...Look away! Shocked lol!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:13 am

Why is it that when you read Genesis you don't have to do the Hail Mary's?

Have you read that stuff? affraid
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Did you see the R Crumb illustrated version of Genesis at the Art Museum last year? Eminently more readable than non-illustrated versions. In the end though just as confusing.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:04 pm

I walked into the museum and started through it, and looked at my wife and said "holy crap, we are going to be here for 6 hours", and we were.

I bought a copy ( only $25). Terrific read and he used a very good translation ( Robert Alter?) that makes you think about what was actually written.

Great illustrations, too. Includes the funny " begetting" scenes.

R.Crumb hasn't changed much from the 60's.
Pilots win 3-0 Picture-13
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next