Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst sportsmanship ever? Worst sportsmanship ever.

+2
Geezaldinho
Stonehouse
6 posters

Go down

Worst sportsmanship ever? Worst sportsmanship ever. Empty Worst sportsmanship ever? Worst sportsmanship ever.

Post by Stonehouse Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:35 am

The team in black, down 1-0 with 5 minutes left in a game, had a player get go down "injured" and the white team, as is soccer custom, kicked the ball out of bounds to allow for him to recover. Instead of throwing it back to the white team, the team in black rushed a throw in, and the "injured" player miraculously sprung from the ground to take the shot that created the equalizer.

Not that I ever support a fight breaking out, but if a team ever had cause for fisticuffs, the team in white does.

Also, I should mention this happened in Italy. Shocking.

Last edited by Stonehouse on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Worst sportsmanship ever? Worst sportsmanship ever. Empty Re: Worst sportsmanship ever? Worst sportsmanship ever.

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:05 am

I saw this happen in a game in Argentina.

The ref just called an injury stoppage at the throw in and insisted the "injured" player be hauled off on a stretcher (even though he was ambulatory) and let him stand on the sideline until the next stoppage.

The Italian ref was obviously a rookie.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Worst sportsmanship ever? Worst sportsmanship ever. Empty Re: Worst sportsmanship ever? Worst sportsmanship ever.

Post by Psychotic Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:32 pm

Mickey Mantle: "A team is where a boy can prove his courage on his own. A gang is where a coward goes to hide"

Watch as the player (#9) runs away to hide.

"Sportsmanship, next to the Church, is the greatest teacher of morals."
Herbert Hoover

Psychotic
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SyiQN2yu5w

This was just as bad or worse...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:47 pm

My fav.

Like a piece of gum on my shoe"

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:44 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:The Italian ref was obviously a rookie.

COUGH or on the take COUGH COUGH..

My favorite:

At least the FA had the stones to ban one of the best strikers in the game for an entire year... I'm looking at you David Stern.

Cantona's only regret about the whole incident? "That I didn't kick him harder."

At least he's honest.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:35 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:
Purplegeezer wrote:The Italian ref was obviously a rookie.

COUGH or on the take COUGH COUGH..

My favorite:

At least the FA had the stones to ban one of the best strikers in the game for an entire year... I'm looking at you David Stern.

Cantona's only regret about the whole incident? "That I didn't kick him harder."

At least he's honest.
Ashley Cole would have just flashed his Red Ryder BB gun at the guy, or called on his pals Smith & Wesson.

Sorry, that wasn't fair. It was an AIR gun...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Honestly, I think what happened in that Italian game is worse than the fighting with the fans stuff in terms of sportsmanship. Fighting with fans just makes someone hot-tempered and an ass (and, of course, those fans aren't shining examples of civility themselves).

But faking an injury, taking advantage of a long-standing tradition in soccer of "fair play" for injuries, and then scoring an equalizer off of it? Disgusting.

I wish I could find it, but just a month or two ago there was a video of a team (in England, I think) that accidentally scored when trying to pass the ball back to a team in an injury situation just like this. (It wasn't meant to be a shot, but the keeper was out of position and it got past him.) On the ensuing kick-off, the team that had just scored all stood still and allowed the opposing team to score an uncontested goal.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:20 pm

Where does kicking a team's beloved owl mascot off the field rate?

I should note that the offender is facing potential criminal charges...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:28 pm

I gotta admit. That trumps Alonzo kicking vanGundy off the court...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:12 pm

Stonehouse wrote:
I wish I could find it, but just a month or two ago there was a video of a team (in England, I think) that accidentally scored when trying to pass the ball back to a team in an injury situation just like this. (It wasn't meant to be a shot, but the keeper was out of position and it got past him.) On the ensuing kick-off, the team that had just scored all stood still and allowed the opposing team to score an uncontested goal.
Holland nearly scored on Spain like this in the World Cup Final. Casillas was able to knock the ball out and Holland rolled the corner kick back to him.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Honestly, I think what happened in that Italian game is worse than the fighting with the fans stuff in terms of sportsmanship. Fighting with fans just makes someone hot-tempered and an ass (and, of course, those fans aren't shining examples of civility themselves).

I have to disagree. Love it or hate it...heckling is commonplace in sports whether it's civil or not. That doesn't give 6'7, 260 lb. Ron Artest an excuse to climb up into the stands and start whaling on a fan... The players have to have a thick skin and ignore that kind of stuff or their careers will be cut short. Professional athletes get heckled every day and some even receive death threats. But, ignoring those things or finding more mature ways to deal with them has to be the way to go.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:19 am

onetouchfootball wrote:Professional athletes get heckled every day and some even receive death threats. But, ignoring those things or finding more mature ways to deal with them has to be the way to go.
Well, except in golf or tennis. Never could figure out why a golfer needs total silence to hit a stationary ball, but a batter has to hit a ball coming at him at 90 mph with a stadium full of hecklers. Suspect

Back to top Go down