Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SMC into Top 25

+2
Woodless!
Stonehouse
6 posters

Go down

SMC into Top 25 Empty SMC into Top 25

Post by Stonehouse Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:47 am

Well deserved. #21 in the coach's poll and #22 in the AP.

Gonzaga isn't far behind... if they win both games this weekend (@SCU and @USF) they probably will get in.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

SMC into Top 25 Empty Re: SMC into Top 25

Post by Woodless! Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:05 pm

Clearly they were ranked because they put together this awesome youtube clip.
Woodless!
Woodless!
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Woodless! wrote:Clearly they were ranked because they put together this awesome youtube clip.

"Awesome" isn't quite the word I would use... Rolling Eyes

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:28 pm

PilotNut wrote:
Woodless! wrote:Clearly they were ranked because they put together this awesome youtube clip.

"Awesome" isn't quite the word I would use... Rolling Eyes

Go Mickey, my 2nd favorite current WCC PLAYER cheers !!!!!!

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:49 pm

Omar Samhan listened to Taylor Swift before games.

Why didn't I learn that last year? I could have used that kind of material. jocolor
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:56 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Well deserved. #21 in the coach's poll and #22 in the AP.

Gonzaga isn't far behind... if they win both games this weekend (@SCU and @USF) they probably will get in.

I hope they can maintain that ranking until we play them. Other than their victory against St. John's and the close loss to a solid BYU team, their body of work isn't nearly as impressive as Gonzaga's. We're talking about a strength of schedule for SMU at #124 with 2 quality wins (St.John's and Long Beach State...with one close 1 point loss to BYU) vs Gonzaga's quality victories over Marquette, Xavier, Oklahoma State, and the upstart Portland Pilots! Not to mention a strength of schedule ranking of #29...almost 100 spots higher than SMU. I'm sorry. As much as we dislike the Bulldogs, they are the team that deserves to be ranked right now.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:23 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:

I hope they can maintain that ranking until we play them. Other than their victory against St. John's and the close loss to a solid BYU team, their body of work isn't nearly as impressive as Gonzaga's. We're talking about a strength of schedule for SMU at #124 with 2 quality wins (St.John's and Long Beach State...with one close 1 point loss to BYU) vs Gonzaga's quality victories over Marquette, Xavier, Oklahoma State, and the upstart Portland Pilots! Not to mention a strength of schedule ranking of #29...almost 100 spots higher than SMU. I'm sorry. As much as we dislike the Bulldogs, they are the team that deserves to be ranked right now.

I agree, the thing that kills the Pilots with the voters back east though is the lopsided massacre to Kentucky...at least we were competitive with the zags,cougars,& UDUB.....but everybody saw and remembers the Terrance Jones "homecoming" that cheater Calipari arranged at the Rose Garden in Portland, unfortunately..... It's called EAST COAST MEDIA bias....

Mesapilot1

Sad Embarassed

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:29 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Go Pilots, cream the Dons and Broncos!)

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:04 pm

MesaPilot1 wrote:
onetouchfutbol wrote:

I agree, the thing that kills the Pilots with the voters back east though is the lopsided massacre to Kentucky...at least we were competitive with the zags,cougars,& UDUB.....but everybody saw and remembers the Terrance Jones "homecoming" that cheater Calipari arranged at the Rose Garden in Portland, unfortunately..... It's called EAST COAST MEDIA bias....

Mesapilot1

Sad Embarassed

Well, our highest quality victory was still the one against UCSB. We need to knock off GU or St. Mary's to have a chance at getting some votes...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:08 pm

MesaPilot1 wrote:
onetouchfutbol wrote:

Mesapilot1

Sad Embarassed
Yes, it's East Coast bias. Another problem is many voters don't take the time to look into every team under consideration. SMC's RPI and over all record are better, but Gonzaga played a brutal non-conference schedule like it always does. The media wants the quick explanation, though.

As for Calipari, I wonder how happy he was to see Marcus Camby at the Kentucky game. Not to excuse what Calipari has been doing his whole career, but Camby was also part of why UMass won a bunch of NCAA games back then but got disappeared from the record books later... Rules
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum