Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs. Rick Majerus & the SLU Billikens

+9
ShipstadPilot11
VillaGorilla
PurplePrideTrumpet
onetouchfutbol
blacksheep
Geezaldinho
DaTruRochin
Stonehouse
PilotNut
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pilots vs. Rick Majerus & the SLU Billikens Empty Pilots vs. Rick Majerus & the SLU Billikens

Post by PilotNut Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:13 am

First of all, what the hey is a Billiken? confused

This should be another good test against a solidly coached team in SLU, and another opponent who played in the post season last year...

Portland (4-2) vs. Saint Louis (2-2)
Tuesday • Nov. 30 • 7:00 p.m. • Portland, Ore. (Chiles Center – 4,852)
Radio: 800 AM (KPDQ)
Live Video/AudioStats: PortlandPilots.com
Series: First Meeting

About Saint Louis
• Head coach Rick Majerus is in his fourth year at Saint Louis after an illustrious career coaching the University of Utah.
• The Billikens two losses came by two points each to Austin Peay (64-62) and Georgia (61-59). Wins have come against Rockhurst (72-45) and Tennessee State (78-50).
• This will be the first road game of the 2010-11 season for Saint Louis.
• Sophomore F Cody Ellis was named to the Atlantic 10 Preseason All-Conference Third Team, while freshman F Rob Loe was named to the Preseason All-Rookie Team.
• The Billikens went 23-13 a season ago and competed advanced to the championship of the College Basketball Invitational (CBI).
• Portland and Saint Louis will meet for the first time on Tuesday.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Rick Majerus & the SLU Billikens Empty Re: Pilots vs. Rick Majerus & the SLU Billikens

Post by Guest Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:35 am

PilotNut wrote:First of all, what the hey is a Billiken? confused
From wikipedia:
The Billiken was a charm doll created by an American art teacher and illustrator, Ms. Florence Pretz of St. Louis, Missouri, who is said to have seen the mysterious figure in a dream.[1] In 1908 she patented the Billiken who was elf-like with pointed ears, a mischievous smile, and a tuft of hair on his pointed head. His arms were short and he was generally sitting with his legs stretched out in front of him. One point on Billiken luck: To buy a Billiken gives the purchaser luck, but to have one given to you is better luck.[2] The Billiken was one of the first copyrighted dolls and the first likenesses of the Billiken, banks and statues, were produced in 1909. After a few brief years of popularity, like many other fad toys, the Billiken faded into obscurity. The Billiken should not be confused with baby-like Kewpie figures that debuted in the December 1909 Ladies' Home Journal.

Today, the Billiken is the official mascot of Saint Louis University and St. Louis University High, both Jesuit institutions, and both located in Saint Louis, Missouri.
Pilots vs. Rick Majerus & the SLU Billikens Billiken

Not the cutest little guy, is he.

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Rick Majerus & the SLU Billikens Empty Re: Pilots vs. Rick Majerus & the SLU Billikens

Post by Stonehouse Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:48 am

The Billiken should not be confused with baby-like Kewpie figures that debuted in the December 1909 Ladies' Home Journal.

Gosh, I always make this mistake.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:59 am

I thought I was the only one!

It kind of looks like an alien version of the fat, happy Buddha... Methinks Gautama might have grounds for a copyright infringement case on his hands with Mrs. Pretz. Silly Jesuits and their golden calves!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:06 am

Pilots vs. Rick Majerus & the SLU Billikens 7935bc68cbjerus4

just sayin'...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:09 am

Purplegeezer wrote:Pilots vs. Rick Majerus & the SLU Billikens 7935bc68cbjerus4

just sayin'...

lol!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 am

Last time I checked, the happy Buddha didn't sit on kid's heads...

The NSFW stories in case anyone needs refreshing:

http://deadspin.com/5445469/rick-majerus-serial-child-squasher

http://deadspin.com/5439875/ahole-coach-digest-special-rick-majerus-edition

Last edited by DaTruRochin on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:15 am

Rick Majerus = Mark Mangino? Aren't they really the same guy? Smack!

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:19 pm

We're playing tough at home. We've got a lot of time on the road after this game... I had no idea.

Pilots up 11 early: 25-14. It sounds like both Hannibal has a season high 6 pts, and Sikma is sure to pass his average with 10 pts early...

We're up 8 at halftime: 36-28. Overall, we played pretty well St. Louis made a little run toward the end, and at times our freshmen played like freshmen... Sikma has already matched his career high for points with 17...

Dang. Sikma and Hannibal are dominating... Sikma with 22 pts so far...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:53 pm

And to think I thought all black had a slimming effect... Ricky M. proved me wrong, very very wrong...

Very nice win 69-60! Nice job by Nem and Kramer knocking down 4 freebies down the stretch.

We love free throws!!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:46 pm

St. Louis really focused on our three point shooting, but Rev had the team work an inside game instead. 48 points tonight from Luke, Kramer and Jasonn. Only 4 from Jared. Very nice counter strategy. cheers

Coach Majerus had quite a few words for Luke in the post-game handshake line. I am sure he was very complimentary, as Luke had an outstanding performance.

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:48 pm

That to me was a very good quality win. It took a lot of work on both ends to get out to the big lead and lots of work to keep it around double digits the whole second half. SLU was able to get good looks against our D.

Sikma was a monster, but also check out Jasonn's 12 points on 6-of-8 shooting Shocked. Kramer had a bunch of rebounds, and also a nice collection of assists, as did Nem and Waterford. Eric is playing the PG well.

Before the season I said it would be fun to see how this team comes together...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:52 pm

From listening to the pre-game show on the way there, this win puts us at 30 wins in our last 35 games played in the Chiles Center. Now that's a home court advantage!

Our entire senior frontcourt was a monster out there. Career highs for both Luke and Jasonn. Totally dominated from the start. Great to see Jasonn getting back into the form he showed at the end of last year with those sweet hook shots in the lane.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:55 pm

Yeah, another big part of the win was the 2-3 zone. Every year Rev seems to get the guys to play it more and more consistently at home. Now, we've got many road games next to really learn what this team is made of... Basketball
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:36 pm

I thought is copied pretty good...and it keeps the headers. Wink

Pilots vs. Rick Majerus & the SLU Billikens Screen18

I thought our free throw defense was top notch tonight....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:45 pm

Cheater.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:06 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Cheater.

That's what the Luddites in Football said the first time they saw a forward pass.... Razz
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:12 pm

Well now we are trying to take it away by making up "concussions"... Brilliant, I know.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:22 pm

Here is the O-Live write-up, submitted by Nick Daschel: LINK

BTW, I note that Nick has written all the articles for the home games, and the reporting for road games is from UP releases or another special correspondent. I guess enough staff were laid off that the O has no one to follow the Pilots.

Last edited by up7587 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:36 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:I thought our free throw defense was top notch tonight....
Our resident Teletubbies had a great game tonight.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:54 pm

Agreed on a solid win tonight on "opposite" night... SLU was scrappy and quick, and I was happy with our ability to dominate in the paint and win with Jared only making 2 shots!

The teletubbies were great... I wish all the students would show that much energy during the games!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:13 am

I am feeling really good about our 6-2 start... we are winning the games we should, and in spite of tonight, the new guys really are coming together nicely. The upcoming road trip will be a good gut check and barometer.

I would put myself down as "cautiously optimistic" for WCC play... Smile

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:16 am

Anyone have info on why Riley Barker did not play and was on the exercycle tonight?

Also, what happened to the Tanner Riley we saw in the AIA tourney? He has disappeared since then.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:55 am

Post-game report:

Sikma’s Career-High 26 Propels Portland Past St. Louis

PORTLAND, Ore. --- Senior forward Luke Sikma scored a career-high 26 points as the Portland Pilots improved to 5-0 this season at the Chiles Center with a 69-60 win over the Saint Louis Billikens Tuesday night. Senior reserve center Jasonn Hannibal added a career-best 12 points as the Pilot frontcourt dominated from start-to-finish.

Senior center Kramer Knutson added 10 points, seven rebounds and four assists as Portland’s three primary big men combined for 48 points on 21-for-33 (.636) shooting from the field. The Pilots also outrebounded the Billikens (3-3) by a 31-23 margin and gained a 44-22 edge in points in the paint.

The Pilots (6-2) have yet to trail on their home court this season and have posted double-digit wins in all five games at the Chiles Center.

Junior guard Nemanja Mitrovic was the fourth Pilot to reach double figures, finishing with 10 points for his sixth double-digit scoring game of the season.

Saint Louis and head coach Rick Majerus made a concerted effort to prevent Portland guard Jared Stohl and the rest of the Pilot perimeter players from getting going in the game. The Billikens played one-on-one and behind the Pilot post players, challenging the Portland big men to score over the top. It was not a problem for Sikma, who scored nine early points as the Pilots jumped out to a 14-2 lead. Hannibal added to the first half offense with eight points before intermission as Portland built a 16-point lead with less than three minutes remaining. The Billikens finished the period with a 10-2 run to make it 36-28 at the half. Sikma finished with 17 points in the first half.

Saint Louis would cut the deficit to seven at 51-44 with 11:36 remaining on a layup by Jordair Jett. The Pilots would score the next five points and then used a crucial 8-2 run capped by two Derrick Rodgers free throws to take a 14-point lead with 2:40 remaining. A Kyle Cassity three-pointer made it 65-60 with 42 seconds remaining, but the Pilots would make two defensive stops and convert four free throws in the closing seconds to put the game away.

Portland shot 60 percent from the field (28-47) and made 11-of-15 free throws, while Saint Louis shot 46 percent from the floor (24-52), but struggled at the foul line (6-17).

Portland entered the game ranked No. 8 nationally in three-point percentage (.443), while Stohl was the national leader in three-pointers made (28). Stohl went 2-for-4 from three-point range on Tuesday, while no other Pilot attempted a three-pointer. The four team attempts were the lowest since the Pilots attempted three on Feb. 12, 2007 versus Saint Mary’s.

Mike McCall led three Billiken players in double figures with 14 points. Jett added 13, Dwayne Evans had 11 and Eugene, Ore. native Brian Conklin chipped in eight points.

Portland will now begin a four-game road trip starting on Friday at Montana (3-2). Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. (PST) and the game will be aired live on 800 AM (KPDQ) and simulcast on portlandpilots.com.

NOTES: Stohl moved into fourth place in WCC history for career three-pointers made (275) and trails Gonzaga’s Richie Frahm (1997-00, 280) by five for third place … Mitrovic reached double figures for the fourth straight game and sixth time this season … Portland has outrebounded six of eight opponents this season … this marks the third time this year the Pilots shot above .500 as a team.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:23 am

No clue about Riley and I'd guess that Tanner is trying to do too much since his killer debut party at the AIA (that is PURE speculation).

I think I'm with Nut as being "cautiously optimistic" for WCC and the rest of the season in general. I think we CAN and I sure hope we DO perform well enough to get to the 20-win mark.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next